Rack And Pinion- How Do Know...? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 9025
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
squeeze has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a 1991 wagon with 128 K\. How do i know for sure the R+P needs replacing? Lower tie rods were done amonth ago. Same sloppy steering wheel/feel.
(1st time posting)
squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

It needs replacing when it stops working or it's leaking.

For sloppy wheel feel, are you sure you have proper alignment? Also try changing the P/S fluid. A lot of people don't think about replacing it, but once replaced the steering feels a little tighter.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 9025
squeeze has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
It needs replacing when it stops working or it's leaking.

For sloppy wheel feel, are you sure you have proper alignment? Also try changing the P/S fluid. A lot of people don't think about replacing it, but once replaced the steering feels a little tighter.
[/b]

It was aligned the same day the day the tie rods were done. I'll try the fluid idea, Thanks.
squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 13936
carfixer68 has a spectacular aura about

You mentioned lower tie rods, do you mean outers? There are inner tie rods as well. If they're worn you will have sloppy steering.

Also, there's some small u-joints and clamps that connect the steering column shaft to the rack. Check those as well.

1992 Taurus SHO, Royal Blue MTX, 3.2l and other junk
carfixer68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

On the Gen 1-2s the lower steering column pinch bolt gets worn and needs tightening like the Bobbers said. Watch the column at the base while you turn the wheel slightly. If there is any slack tighten away.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 14341
Brcobrem is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
On the Gen 1-2s the lower steering column pinch bolt gets worn and needs tightening like the Bobbers said. Watch the column at the base while you turn the wheel slightly. If there is any slack tighten away.
[/b]
Hi SHOZ123,

Don't know if sqeeze ever fixed his/her problem. Hope he/she did. I have a similar situation to this post so I thought it might be be helpful for me (and others) to continue with this post and its threads. As follows:

I have a 1993 Taurus GL with about 66,000 miles on it. It was alligned when new tires were put on at about 60,000. Until about a month ago, the steering wheel was in perfect center position and the car tracked straightly down the highway. Now, the steering wheel is about 15 degrees off center and the car pulls noticably to the right. I asked my "better half" if she hit something or fell in a pot hole, and she assures me that she didn't.

I found this post and checked the "lower steering column pinch bolt" as you mentioned in you 1/14/08 post. It is not loose. So I next layed down under the front end and had an assistant joggle the steering wheel slightly back and forth and I didn't see any looseness in any of the front end joints, stabilizer joints, or tie rod ends. Next I jacked up the front passenger side. Grabbing hold of the tire with both hands, there was barely no top to bottom play, however there's almost 1/2" side to side play. As I push and pulled left to right on the tire, I could see the tie rod end moving in and out of the rack and pinion assembly. My assistant held the steering wheel to I would be assured I was not just turning the steering wheel with my side to side pushing on the tire. With the tire still off the ground, my assistant started the engine and the 1/2" play persisted.

I lower the car back down and raised the driver's side front end. Same exact situation: about 1/2" side to side play going all the way into the rack, but not up the steering column. Btw, the is no leakage of fluid from the rack and pinion assemlby and the power steering fluid was replaced last year during an AC Compressor job.

I've found the following reference to a "RACK YOKE PLUG CLEARANCE" and wonder if you think this could be the source of the play:

Except 1990–92 Taurus and Sable LX with 3.8L Engine, 1993–95 Taurus GL (high series only), LX and SHO models, and Sables
RACK YOKE PLUG CLEARANCE
NOTE: The rack yolk clearance adjustment is not a normal service adjustment. It is only required when the input shaft and valve assembly is removed.
1. Remove the steering gear from the vehicle. Clean the exterior of the steering gear thoroughly.
2. Install the steering gear in a suitable holding fixture. Do not remove the external transfer tubes unless they are leaking or damaged. If these lines are removed, they must be replaced with new ones.
3. Drain the power steering fluid by rotating the input shaft lock-to-lock twice, using a suitable tool. Cover the ports on the valve housing with a shop cloth while draining the gear to avoid possible oil spray.
4. Insert an inch pound torque wrench with a maximum capacity of 60 inch lbs. (6.77 Nm) into the Pinion Shaft Torque Adapter T74P-3504-R or equivalent. Position the adapter and wrench on the input shaft splines.
5. Loosen the yoke plug locknut and then the yoke plug.
6. Clean the threads of the yoke plug before tightening, to prevent a false reading. With the rack at the center of travel, tighten the yoke plug to 45–50 inch lbs. (5.0–5.6 Nm).
7. Back off the yoke plug approximately 1⁄8 turn (44–54 degrees) until the torque required to initiate and sustain rotation of the input shaft is 7–18 inch lbs. (0.78–2.03 Nm).
8. Place a suitable wrench on the yoke plug locknut. While holding the yoke plug, tighten the locknut to 44–66 ft. lbs. (60–89 Nm). Do not allow the yoke plug to move while tightening or preload will be affected. Check the input shaft torque as in step 7 after tightening the locknut.
9. Install the steering gear.

I look forward to your reply and appreciate any comments or suggestions you think might be helpful.

Regards,
Brcobrem
Brcobrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.