Seatbelt Won't Retract - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 7302
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jenwales has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The front passenger seatbelt of my 2001 Taurus Wagon won't retract. It's been a difficult seatbelt for a while (gets twisted all of the time) but now it is full extended and even if I feed it back in it never catches and retracts.

Is there something I can do myself to fix this or will this be yet another several hundred dollar repair?
jenwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1387
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

I am betting that the seatbelt got twisted into the mechanisim and jammed it. Take off the panel where the seatbelt feeds into and check. It's an easy fix, just need to be patient and not hate the car. It's not the cars fault.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4131
millermagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to millermagic

Mine does the same thing. Except my seatbelt is bad. I'm going to go to a junkyard and grab one.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 8469
octopod has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i think that there maybe a problem in general with the seatbelt on the passenger side because mine won't retract properly(have to feed it in manually) and if you extend it all the way out while you are putting it on(or if you lean forward or something ) it starts clicking and will only retract causing youto have to unclick it feed it all the way back in manually and putting it back on again
octopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

Quote:
i think that there maybe a problem in general with the seatbelt on the passenger side because mine won't retract properly(have to feed it in manually) and if you extend it all the way out while you are putting it on(or if you lean forward or something ) it starts clicking and will only retract causing youto have to unclick it feed it all the way back in manually and putting it back on again
[/b]

That is supposed to do that... It's a safety feature for a child seat or accident.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1808
Drives: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
silvapain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to silvapain

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

That is supposed to do that... It's a safety feature for a child seat or accident. [/b][/quote]

+1. It's designed to lock if it's extended too quickly, like in the event of a collision and the passenger lunges forward. To disengage the locking mechanism, retract the seatbelt all the way and pul out again; but more slowly this time.

Current:
2002 Pontiac GTP 40th Anniversary Edition
2007 Mazdaspeed3

Past:
1997 V8 SHO Silver Frost - ELISJOY
1997 V8 SHO Ebony Satin - RIPElaineRIP
1997 Vulcan GL - RIPSuzanneRIP
1990 Vulcan Sable - NONAME
silvapain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 13948
skindred has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to skindred Send a message via Yahoo to skindred

you mean like it does not stop when you step on the brake and it doesnt go back in when you take off the seat belt?
Karnivool->shutterspeed
skindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 8469
octopod has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

That is supposed to do that... It's a safety feature for a child seat or accident. [/b][/quote]

+1. It's designed to lock if it's extended too quickly, like in the event of a collision and the passenger lunges forward. To disengage the locking mechanism, retract the seatbelt all the way and pul out again; but more slowly this time.
[/b][/quote]

i don't pull the seat belt out any quicker than in any of the other seats(plus they are supposed to lock up at any position in an accident not just fully extended)

Also it is illegal to put a car seat in the front seat
octopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've had to replace both my front seat belts for this. Make sure if you go to a junk yard that you get both pieces. Different years got diffrent belts and they must be mated to like attaching parts.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

i don't pull the seat belt out any quicker than in any of the other seats(plus they are supposed to lock up at any position in an accident not just fully extended)

Also it is illegal to put a car seat in the front seat
[/b][/quote]

They lock to secure is what I meant. Same with the rear seats.

Edit: It is also not "illegal" to put a car seat in the front. They reccomend putting a car seat in the rear, or it can be in a front passenger seat that is not equipped with a passenger side airbag.
Advertisement