Best Way To Remove Excess Transmission Fluid? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
fct has a spectacular aura about

Hello. I believe that my transmission is overfilled. What's the best way to remove excess fluid? I know a place that says they have a pump that they can use to remove the excess fluid through the hole for the transmission fluid dipstick for about $15-20. Is there an easy way to do this on my own? I can't do any major repairs in my apartment's parking lot, but I assume that disconnecting the coolant hose, and draining some fluid through it should work just fine. What do you think? How much fluid should I remove? Half quart or so?

fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 13634
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2011 Ford Taurus SE
michakaveli has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to michakaveli

I bought a gas siphon item @ Walmart for $3.... I'm in the same position, just haven't removed the excess fluid yet.
michakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

You can use a piece of 1/2" clear plastic tubing, stuck in the dipstick hole (also the filler hole). Siphon it out using a vacuum pump until the fluid is in the proper area on the dipstick.

Also, before you go pulling fluid out, make sure you're properly checking the fluid level. Drive the car for 15-20 minutes to bring the transmission up to operating temperature, then park it on a level surface. Run the transmission through the gears, and with the car running, check the level. If it's in the crosshatch marks, it's fine.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 13936
carfixer68 has a spectacular aura about

Before you remove any fluid, did you check the level with the trans and fluid warmed up, with the engine running, on level ground?

If so, and you are indeed overfull, the easiest way to do it would be going in through the dipstick. If you can get away with it, you can also, as you suggested, remove the splash shield, remove a trans cooler line, and drain it into a bucket. You should get about a half quart out of the line without the car running. If you start the car, it will pump out more fluid.

*edit*

Damnit, JR was faster than me, but yeah, what he said!

1992 Taurus SHO, Royal Blue MTX, 3.2l and other junk
carfixer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 14207
geod919@yahoo.com has a little shameless behaviour in the past

well if you have a ax4n, the way i did it, yesterday mind you, is this: under the battery box there are two lines connected to the tranny. these are connected with line locks that simply slide off. slide the bottom one off pull the line out of the tranny turn on the car and let it idle for about 10 secs per quart drained.
geod919@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

Quote:
Before you remove any fluid, did you check the level with the trans and fluid warmed up, with the engine running, on level ground?
[/b]

Alot of people make this mistake. I wonder how many actually suck fluid out thinking it's overfilled, just to end up ruining their transmissions by being underfilled.... wait, what am I thinking.... it's rare anyone actually checks their fluids to begin with!!!!
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

You could use a liquid hand soap bottle pump & a piece of tubing about a foot longer than the dipstick, so if it comes loose. it won't fall ito the tranny & e difficult to extact.
Attach the tubing to the pumps siphon tube & isert it down the dipstick/fill tube & pump away.

If you want it to go a little faster, you could buy a marine lower end unit gear oil pump for about $4 at almost any marine or farm supply store. It'll pump a litle faster than the soap pump, i've used both.

As has been said, just be certain your checking the tranny fluid level properly as called out in your owners manual.

Before checking the fluid level, it Must be Fully warmed up, say a 10 mile round trip, be on level ground & with the engine at warm idle, you need to make sure you've shfted into ALL gears, including Reverse, long enough to feel the gear engage & ending in park. All this to be sure the valve body is full of fluid.

If you've checked the fluid like you would do the engines oil, with the engine off after a overnight cool down, the tranny gonna incorrectly read high on the dipstick & make you think it's ovefilled.
If thats how you've done it, to come to the conclusion that it's overfilled, DON'T remove any fluid!!!!

Let us know how it goes.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Yeah, I am aware how to check the transmission fluid level. What happened is that this summer I with a fellow TC forum member changed the transmission fluid on my bull's AX4N. When we were putting the new fluid in, we overfilled the thing. We put only 10 quarts of fluid into transmission by the time it went over the top. I guess that 2-3 quarts of the old stuff remained in the transmission because we didn't follow the instructions to flush the whole thing completely. Somehow, it didn't occur to me right at that moment that we should probably remove a quart or so.

I have been checking the fluid level after that, and the dipstick always showed that the level was way above the crossed area. Moreover, it also had bubbles in it, which I suppose was a bad thing.

I really appreciate pawpaw's soap bottle advise. Today I went to Walmart and bought 80 cent liquid hand soap and a 1 dollar fish tank plastic hose. This worked just fine, but it took me about 40 minutes to pump something like 1.5 quarts out. This brought the fluid level on the dipstick down to near the top of the crossed area (I was checking after driving for some time of course). The only problem with the approach is that it was a freezing cold morning and it was starting to snow while I was pumping out the fluid. There is 50% chance that I will be confirmed sick later today
Old 12-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

An AX4N tranny holds 13 quarts, including the fluid in the torque converter. The torque converter holds about half the fluid volume.

If you drop the tranny pan, or pump the fluid out through the dipstick, you will only get about half the fluid.

So dumping in 8 quarts will overfill your tranny (oops, guess you found that out already).
gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Quote:
An AX4N tranny holds 13 quarts, including the fluid in the torque converter. The torque converter holds about half the fluid volume.

If you drop the tranny pan, or pump the fluid out through the dipstick, you will only get about half the fluid.

So dumping in 8 quarts will overfill your tranny (oops, guess you found that out already).
[/b]
Actually, we did more than that. We disconnected the cooling hose and let the fluid flow out with the engine on. After dropping the pan as well, there was still about 2-3 quarts left somewhere inside transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement