Wiper Arm Problem - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 13904
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
hollocks has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi. I started the car today after a cold weekend, scraping the snow and ice off before I drove off. Anyway, got a few yards down the road and switched the wipers on...worked for one cycle then quit at a 45 degree angle. They wouldn't budge...got out of the car and was able by hand to move them back down to regular position. Tried again and same result. Got the car home, removed the wiper arms and cowling and turned on the wipers to hear the motor - sounds like it's working, but the linkage isn't moving - ie the things that move the arms - any ideas?

Taurus 2000 FFV Vulcan
hollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3350
Nidan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Nidan

So when you turn the wipers on with the arms off, the motor keeps running? Does it stop in the wrong place at all settings, or just interval? Will it keep running on low or high?

One problem i had with my wipers turned out to be a bad relay in the relay box next to the battery - it was corroded. I replaced it, and they've been fine since. Try checking those and make sure they're all good. You should actually pull them out and look at the pins, since you can't tell just by looking down at them when they're installed. Mine actually had corrosion leaking out past the terminals in the bottom.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
Nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
So when you turn the wipers on with the arms off, the motor keeps running? Does it stop in the wrong place at all settings, or just interval? Will it keep running on low or high?

One problem i had with my wipers turned out to be a bad relay in the relay box next to the battery - it was corroded. I replaced it, and they've been fine since. Try checking those and make sure they're all good. You should actually pull them out and look at the pins, since you can't tell just by looking down at them when they're installed. Mine actually had corrosion leaking out past the terminals in the bottom.
[/b]
I can turn it on to full or intermittent and the motor runs as it should - just no movement for the arms - and I can hear when the arms are back on as if it's trying to catch but nothing happens.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 10617
eyespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to eyespie Send a message via MSN to eyespie

I had the same problem a few months ago. This may not be your case, but it's an easy fix and quick to check.

Pop the hood and look towards where the wiper arm connects to the cowl.

Now, take the black piece off as shown.

Check to see if this nut is screwed down. If it is loose, tighten it with a socket and make sure it is tight. This should fix the problem. If it does not, you may have something wrong with the wiper assy.
eyespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I had the same problem a few months ago. This may not be your case, but it's an easy fix and quick to check.

Pop the hood and look towards where the wiper arm connects to the cowl.

Now, take the black piece off as shown.

Check to see if this nut is screwed down. If it is loose, tighten it with a socket and make sure it is tight. This should fix the problem. If it does not, you may have something wrong with the wiper assy.
[/b]
Yes - took the arms off, removed the cowl and then replaced everything - ensuring that the arms were good and tight. Sounds like something is trying to catch but not gripping - could it be that the arms are not gripping the mechanism?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 13948
skindred has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to skindred Send a message via Yahoo to skindred

I had a wiper problem, my blades kept popping off, when they would freeze to the window.
Karnivool->shutterspeed
skindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 14023
jimirayblues has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I would start where the motor connects to the linkage. It is common to both wipers, and if that connection is loose or damaged, both wipers would have issues at the same time. I am not saying it is impossible for the pivots or the arms to go bad at the same time, but that seems unlikely since they seem to be working for part of the movement. I copied the step by step for a couple of these items, but I can't get the pictures to copy. Sorry. Hope it helps.

Windshield Wiper--Module

Removal and Installation

1. Windshield wiper module is mounted below cowl vent screen (018A16). Windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shafts are connected together with non-removable plastic ball joints. Windshield wiper module is serviced as one unit.

2. Raise hood (16612).

3. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301). Refer to «Section 14-01».

4. Remove LH windshield wiper pivot arm (17526) and RHwindshield wiper pivot arm (17527) from windshield wiper pivot shafts by first removing attaching nut with 15 mm socket and ratchet.

5. Turn windshield wiper switch ON and allow wipers to move to a straight-up and down position. Turn ignition switch off to leave windshield wiper pivot arms in this position and remove windshield wiper pivot arms from the pivot shafts.

6. Remove eight plastic retainers (1/4 turn counterclockwise) retaining cowl vent screens to inner panels.

7. Remove six clips retaining cowl vent screens to inner panels.

8. Disconnect electrical connector from windshield wiper motor.

9. Remove four screws retaining windshield wiper module to cowl.

10. Remove windshield wiper module from vehicle.

11. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten screws retaining windshield wiper module to 10-14 N-m (89-124 lb-in). Tighten arm attaching nut to 30-40 N-m (22-29 lb-ft).

Pivot Arm

Removal

1. Turn multi-function switch (13K359) on. Allow windshield wiper motor (17508) to move the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shafts (17566) three or four cycles, then turn off the multi-function switch. This will place the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shafts in the park position.

2. Turn ignition switch to the OFF position.

3. Mark the position of the windshield wiper blade tips (driver and passenger side) on the windshield using a removeable marker.

4. Remove windshield wiper output arm cover (17C526) from windshield wiper pivot arm by inserting a flat-blade screwdriver at the rear and lifting windshield wiper output arm cover off.

5. Remove nut retaining windshield wiper pivot arm to windshield wiper pivot shaft using a 15 mm socket and ratchet.

6. Turn ignition switch to the ON position. Turn windshield wiper switch ON and allow wipers to move to a straight-up and down position. Turn ignition switch to OFF to stop wipers in this position.

7. Remove windshield wiper pivot arms by lifting straight up off pivot shafts.

Wiper Motor

Removal

1. CAUTION: The internal permanent magnets used in the windshield wiper motor are a ceramic (glass-like) material. Care must be exercised in handling the windshield wiper motor to avoid damaging the magnets. The windshield wiper motor must not be struck or tapped with a hammer or other object.

When installing the drive arm to a new windshield wiper motor, follow the instructions included in the new windshield wiper motor kit.

2. Remove windshield wiper module as outlined.

3. Remove windshield wiper operating arm retaining screw from windshield wiper motor.

4. Remove three bolts retaining windshield wiper motor to windshield wiper module.

5. Remove windshield wiper motor.

Installation

1. Position windshield wiper motor to windshield wiper module and install retaining bolts. Tighten to 7-9 N-m (60-80 lb-in).

2. Install windshield wiper operating arm and retaining screw to windshield wiper motor.

3. Tighten screw to 10-12 N-m (89-106 lb-in).

4. Install windshield wiper module as outlined.

5. Connect battery ground cable. Check windshield wiper motor operation in all modes.
jimirayblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You need to put a washer under the retaining nut on the wider arm mount.

Had the same problem. The nut is not providing enough clamping force.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK - took off the wiper mechanism and it had disconnected from the motor wheel. Popped the arm back onto the motor and re-installed it - all works now. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12355
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 X MTX
jmoschetti45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to jmoschetti45 Send a message via MSN to jmoschetti45 Send a message via Yahoo to jmoschetti45 Send a message via Skype™ to jmoschetti45

Quote:

6. Remove eight plastic retainers (1/4 turn counterclockwise) retaining cowl vent screens to inner panels.

7. Remove six clips retaining cowl vent screens to inner panels.
[/b]
Hmm....

#6 - All of those are missing on mine

#7 - I have 2 of those

Worth hitting the JY when I get home and getting some? Or just leave it?

New Car: 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 X MTX

SHO Wagon Status: Running, but rust killed the body, and it has no brakes period... Moth balling has begun...

Facebook MySpace Twitter Blog

RIP: 1998 White SE Wagon (1/31/2008 @ 23:47)
jmoschetti45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement