Alert! Dorman Cam Synchronizer Assembly! - Page 11 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #101 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

IF you try to buy a NEW CARDONE Part, BEWARE.

Cardone is buying new parts from Chinese Manufacturers.

Rebuilt Parts are usually Excellent Quality. Rebuilt Synchroshaft/CPS assemblies in many cases are New Genuine Ford Parts with the Ford Part Numbers/Casting Number ground off. I believe that Cardone is doing this because the supply of cores is low. This is probably a continuing/limited process. When there are enough cores available in the system, you are not going to find New Ford Parts in Cardone Rebuilt Part Boxes, and there is no guarentee that you will or won't find a rebuilt part in a random box. So, if you are buying a Cardone Rebuilt, open the box and make sure of what you are receving before you leave the store.

Cardone appears to be moving into the new parts business to capitalize on their name, using it to attract people who want new parts, who also recognize the Cardone name. Unfortunately Cardone has decided to sell the same Chinese Manufactured new junk parts that Dorman is already selling.

The new Cardone Synchroshaft/CPS assemblies are Chinese Made. Yeap, the same junk part sold by Dorman, with many documented failures.

I just dropped down to the local Kragen/Parts America Store to look for a replacement water pump since my original Ford water pump was damaged this past weekend when the 14 month old 10K miles Dorman Cooolant Recovey Tank Split in three places while I was on the freeway causing my water pump to go dry. My water pump bearings are now clacking and last night, the pump started seizing. The only coolant recovery tank I could get on short notice from NAPA, Kragen, or AutoZone was the Dorman Chinese part. I went to all three places and personally inspected them to find all three stores selling the same Dorman part. In some cases a box with a different name, but still the same exact part.

I asked about Cardone new water pumps, since they were available at Kragen with a lifetime warranty, and found a Chinese made part in the box. Not a great looking part either. I handed it back to the parts guys and said: " no thanks, no more Chinese made junk if I have a chice". AutoZone gets $1 more for their new water pumps, but their Duralast water pump looks better made, and is marked US made. I would like to have another Genuine Ford water pump, but the cost is more like $150 from FastPartsNetwork.com. I would hate to see what a Ford Dealer wants for one since I was just quoted $58.50 for the coolant tank (last one I bought from Ford cost less than $28).
gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member Number: 11441
Pro Ford has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Interesting indeed!

Nice update to the thread.... I sure hate to see them start screwing people over with CHINESE CRAP!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member Number: 15888
burala has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I took my 2001 Taurus in because it was chirping and he pulled the synchronizer out and took it apart and cleaned the rust and gunk off and packed it with synthetic lube and put it back in. He says they dont wear out they just get the crud built up and thats why they chirp.
burala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member Number: 11441
Pro Ford has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I took my 2001 Taurus in because it was chirping and he pulled the synchronizer out and took it apart and cleaned the rust and gunk off and packed it with synthetic lube and put it back in. He says they dont wear out they just get the crud built up and thats why they chirp.
[/b]
that is incorrect........the bushing has or is real close to failure. Greasing the bushing will quiet the chirp possibly but when the gear wears its teeth off due to deflection off the cam gear due to the worn bushing....... that bandaided chirp will be replaced with rod knock if not shut down in time.....

Just trying to save you engine........and you some large bills....

ProFord.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #105 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Whoever told you that the Synchroshaft doesn't wear out does not know what he's talking about. The bushing that supports the shaft wears out. The squeeking is your warning that the shaft is worn-out and in need of immediate replacement.

The next thing that will happen is that the squeeking goes away. That's when the shaft is wobbling so much that the flag is going to break the CPS (camshaft position sensor).

The next thing that happens is the SES light comes on when the CPS is destroyed. Oh yeah, somewhere along the way the oil pump stops woring correctly. That's because it's driven by the Synchroshaft, and when it's wobbling because the bushings are shot, it isn't driving the oil pump, so now you have to rebuild the entire engine.

You could have bought a Cardone Rebuilt Synchroshaft complete with CPS and Lifetime Warranty for about $60-$70, and installed it yourself in about an hour or two. How much do you think you saved, while ruining your engine?
gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member Number: 17689
zzman has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Dorman units are garbage. Mine failed very quickly and started chirping again. I replaced it with the Ford unit.

Save yourself the headache and aggravation and buy the Ford unit. It is worth the extra money.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member Number: 17286
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus Vulcan AXOD
terceslil has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am breathing a sigh of relief right now because back in October, I installed a synchronizer on the Blue Bull. Then in November, I read this post. I have been worrying about my little synchronizer install ever since I read this post, wondering if one day my synchronizer will wiggle out of its position, then my oil pump will stop working, then my engine will explode. So, for 2 months I have had the good intention of stopping by Autozone and having them pull my history to see which synchronizer I bought. They pulled my warranty history and I have a Cardone. Whew. A sigh of relief.

The Blue Bull March 2010 COTM
1975 Honda CB550K | 1978 Ford F250
terceslil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member Number: 14837
RckyMtnTaurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just came off the rockauto site and they are listing a camshaft synchronizer:

DORMAN Part # 689107 {Original Equipment Solutions #F8DZ12A362AA}
100% NEW; Includes Alignment Tool (where applicable)

Beware
RckyMtnTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member Number: 17331
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: Mercury Sable 2002, GS Plus, 3.0L Vulcan engine
Bodingius has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Just came off the rockauto site and they are listing a camshaft synchronizer:

DORMAN Part # 689107 {Original Equipment Solutions #F8DZ12A362AA}
100% NEW; Includes Alignment Tool (where applicable)

Beware
[/b]
Yep just bought this part from Amazon.com Partnumber and everything read here about it fits the description. It's wobbly and has to much play. The old part is back in place after cleaning and lubing and is waiting for final replacement. Send Dorman an email, shortly after I ordered the part asking if they had modified this failure prone part and got an answer today. Indeed it is modified. The gear is now tightly crimped on the axle. Although there is still quite a bid of vertical play and a little bid of wobble between the axle and the housing. It was stated to me that parts with my batch number 08280 are the new modified version and are Ok. The origional problem was a tolerance issue in the fitting between the axle and the gear and that indeed is tight as far as I can tell!
Bodingius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member Number: 18023
FrMichael has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Bought Dorman 689-104 CMP synchronizer from Rock Auto in Feb.2008 . 7K miles later the engine oil light came on while my daughter was driving late at night on a busy stretch of I-81. I'd rather the engine die than her get smashed by a truck, so she drove 5 miles to the next exit and had a friend pick her up. Next day I changed oil, filter, oil sending unit to no avail and towed it home with a U-haul dolly. Remembered that the synchronizer drives oil pump - lo and behold, synchronizer spun freely while in the engine Pulled the synchronizer; retrieved the loose gear from down in the engine with a magnet tool. Roll pin was sheared. Called Dorman this morning, waiting to hear back from Marty about what they'll do.
MY QUESTION: We paid $800 for 1997 Sable, now has 208K miles, an unknown amount of which is on a rebuilt engine of unknown quality. The engine has not locked up yet (from the above lack of oil pressure). My daughter likes the car and is not in a position to buy another one. IS THERE ANYTHING RELATIVELY SIMPLE I should do to prolong the life of the engine? I read somewhere about someone dropping the oil pan and changing crank and/or rod bearings with the engine in the car - apparently without gauging the bearing tolerances. Would something like that be a good investment or a waste of time?
Thank you for your experience and professional advice.
Fr. Michael
FrMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement