Too Much Transmission Fluid - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 3548
Drives: 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium 24 DOHC, 152K
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
batrachian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had my 01 Sable for two months. Until today, did I realized that the transmission fluid is way too much. Almost 3 inches more than the high level. What is the consequence to have too much fluid there? How can I get some fluid out then?
batrachian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The usual. Foaming due to air in the oil. But not near the problem as with the oil in the crankcase. If you haven't had any problems then maybe all is OK? Time will tell.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 13722
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Ford Taurus G 3.0 OHV "Vulcan" No longer with us. :(
DaveX 3.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I had my tranny flushed, they put too much tranny fluid in. It caused a very rapid leak until the level got to normal. Although, ever since, I've had a slow leak. I don't know if a seal went bad from too much fluid or something (if that can even happen) or if the old dirty fluid was just blocking this leak and after getting it flushed it showed it's face again.

Luckily, Lucas transmission fix helps stop the leak for a good 3 months before having to add more.

Previous cars:
1997 Geo Prizm
1996 Ford Taurus G

Formerly "Mr. X"
DaveX 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Probably going out the vent.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I had my 01 Sable for two months. Until today, did I realized that the transmission fluid is way too much. Almost 3 inches more than the high level. What is the consequence to have too much fluid there? How can I get some fluid out then?
[/b]
Were you checking the tranny fluid level cold, with the engine off, or after it had warmed up & with the engine running & in P, or N, as our owners manual calls for????

If the tranny is really over filled, you can easily remove some. if your tranny has a dip stick, by removing it & inserting a piece of tubing about the same dia & a foot or two longer than the dip stick, then attach a hand tansfer pump to it & pump out what you need too.

If you don't have a transfer pump, you can fashion one from a liquid soap pump, or even a spray bottle pump, by attaching the tubing to the pumps syphon tube, but they'll take a little longer to pump out a sizeable volume.

If you have to use a spray bottle pump, dril out to open up the small srpay hole, so it'll pump easier.
Any port in a storm, right!!!! lol

Just some ideas for consideation.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 3681
RF Overlord has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Overfilling the transaxle is not nearly as bad as overfilling the crankcase, but if it's overfilled by as much as you say, I wouldn't wait too long to remove some. If it's not shifting funny, or slipping, or doing anything really obvious, then you probably haven't done any harm.
'00 Grand Marquis (silver. daily driver)
RF Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12355
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 X MTX
jmoschetti45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to jmoschetti45 Send a message via MSN to jmoschetti45 Send a message via Yahoo to jmoschetti45 Send a message via Skype™ to jmoschetti45

I had about 2.5-3" of overfill in mine, no damage done apparently. It was overfilled for at least 60,000k.

New Car: 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 X MTX

SHO Wagon Status: Running, but rust killed the body, and it has no brakes period... Moth balling has begun...

Facebook MySpace Twitter Blog

RIP: 1998 White SE Wagon (1/31/2008 @ 23:47)
jmoschetti45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 3548
Drives: 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium 24 DOHC, 152K
batrachian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The trasmission fluid level is measured after car sits overnight. Now, I did feel the transmission hard shift at ~ 40 MPH. Anything I need to do?
batrachian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

The transmission fluid needs to be at operating temperature, so you need to drive for 15 - 20 minutes, and you need to be on a level surface, in order to determine whether or not it's at the proper level.

Also, overfilling isn't going to damage the transmission. When it's overfilled, the transmission will just purge what isn't needed out of the overflow valve. It's underfilling the transmission that will cause big issues.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The trasmission fluid level is measured after car sits overnight. Now, I did feel the transmission hard shift at ~ 40 MPH. Anything I need to do?
[/b]
IMO, before you do anything, we need to determine if you've properly checked the tranny fluid level.
If you've been checking it with the engine off & the tranny fluid cold, after an overnight sit like you'd check the engines oil level, then you've not done it right.

Your owners manual will specify how to do it.

If you don't have a owners manual, try the followng.

Don't know where you are right now, nor how cold it is, but to Fully warm the transmission fluid before checking, it might reqire a 10-20 mile drive, to bring it up to full operating temperature & this is very important in order that you get an accurate dipstick reading.

After warming it up & stopping on a level surface, as has been suggested, set the parking brake, so the vehicle won't move & with the tranny fluid warmed to oerating temp & the engine running at warm idle, slowly shift into ALL gears, so you feel each one engage, including Reverse, then end in "P".

Leave the engne idling in "Park", raise the hood, pull & wipe the tranny dipstick, reinsert it fully, wait say 5 seconds, then pull & read the dipstick fluid level.
Done thusly, the level shouldn't be above the cross hatched area on the dipstick.

If it's overfilled, you can easily pump some out, as I outlined above.

Once you know the tranny fluid level is right, let us know how it's color looks, smells & feels & how the tranny shifting is behaving.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement