Exhaust Smell While Ac Or Heat Is On - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 12443
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
baggedtoy93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am getting a slight smell of exhaust fumes while I have the ac or heat on. Has anyone else had this problem? Its a 2001 se sedan
baggedtoy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 12918
calvinhofman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to calvinhofman

When i bought my car from a dealership they cut one of the o-rings when they were changing all the fluids and they changed it when they did cause it smelled like gas when the a/c was on. I have a 1999 Vulcan.
calvinhofman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 23980
2000SableOwner has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Smile Exhaust Smell - Check the PCV tube rubber elbows

I took my 2000 Sable 24V to the dealer for the exhaust smell I noticed when the car was stopped and the heat was on or (to a lesser extent) the AC was on.

They found nothing (which blew me away, since I figured they would want to sell me a new exhaust system - Freedom Ford, Norfolk VA.)

I actually bought a carbon monoxide detector, with a digital readout to measure the CO in the passenger compartment, but there was zero.

So, I took a second look at the engine and noticed that the rubber elbows on BOTH crankcase breather tubes had rotted away. The elbow on the rear cylinder bank was completely broken and the tube was dangling from the other end where it connects to the throttle body.

The front elbow had 1/4 inch hole on the underside where you wouldn't normally be able to see it.
I replaced both elbows, using old spark plug boots that had a right angle bend and they fit perfectly.

Replacing the PCV breather tube elbows (PCV vent) solved the problem, no more smell.
2000SableOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 23980
2000SableOwner has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Smile Solved: Exhuast Smell When heat is on and car is stopped.

I took my 2000 Sable 24V Duratech to the dealer for the exhaust smell I noticed when the car was stopped and the heat was on or (to a lesser extent) the AC was on.

They found nothing (which blew me away, since I figured they would want to sell me a new exhaust system - Freedom Ford, Norfolk VA.)

I actually bought a carbon monoxide detector, with a digital readout to measure the CO in the passenger compartment, but there was zero.

So, I took a second look at the engine and noticed that the rubber elbows on BOTH crankcase breather tubes had rotted away. The elbow on the rear cylinder bank was completely broken and the tube was dangling from the other end where it connects to the throttle body.

The front elbow had 1/4 inch hole on the underside where you wouldn't normally be able to see it.
I replaced both elbows, using old spark plug boots that had a right angle bend and they fit perfectly.

Replacing the PCV breather tube elbows (PCV vent) solved the problem, no more smell.
Both tubes connect the throttle body and are about 12 inches long. The other end, where mine rotted away, connect to the top of the cylinder bank valve covers.
2000SableOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 18227
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE 3.0 Vulcan
901-Memphis has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If you use max a/c it will recirc and not pull through the cabin filter and will eliminate most of that smell probably. Not trying to push aside your problem, but i know the smell itself could be a problem also for the passengers.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS Prem Wagon '01 Sable LS prem '03 Wagon Li
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default Fresh air hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000SableOwner View Post
I took my 2000 Sable 24V Duratech to the dealer for the exhaust smell I noticed when the car was stopped and the heat was on or (to a lesser extent) the AC was on.

Both tubes connect the throttle body and are about 12 inches long. The other end, where mine rotted away, connect to the top of the cylinder bank valve covers.
Pic is my version of the fresh air supply to the crankcase.

However: if anything comes out those ports on the valve cover, your PCV is not working right. These are to let clean air from the air cleaner into the engine as the PCV removes exhaust and water etc. If these ell's are leaking, then they just let dirty air into the engine crankcase, that is: if the PCV is working as it should.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 01-09-2014 at 04:45 PM.
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.