Wet Floorboard, 99 Taurus - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 10904
Join Date: Dec 2006
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 15
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
99Bullie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

I know that this subject has been addressed before, but I don't recall seeing any clear "This is how I fixed it" answers.

Two years ago I purchased a 99 Taurus from the 2nd owner. He told me that when it rained the front passenger side floorboard would get wet.
I never noticed such a problem until the last few times that it has rained. Now it seams that the front passenger side carpet gets soaked.
Naturally I had to start noticing the problem when it's 35 degrees outside.
I know that other people have experienced this same problem. If you could tell me what you did to stop the water, I would greatly appreciate it.

As a side note, I recently read in a Ford Focus forum that they have the same problem. Which makes me wonder, does Ford make any watertight cars?

Thank you for your advice...
99Bullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member
 
qwertz9586's Avatar
 
Member Number: 640
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ATX
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 15,928
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 55
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough
Default

You need the rain hat for the cabin air filter. You can get that at the dealership.
__________________

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
grandpoohbah's Avatar
 
Member Number: 8584
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Crowley, Texas
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 485
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
grandpoohbah has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to grandpoohbah Send a message via AIM to grandpoohbah Send a message via MSN to grandpoohbah Send a message via Yahoo to grandpoohbah
Default

First check the top cowl on the passenger side. Make sure it sits flush against the window, if not replace it. As Qwertz9586 stated check for a rainhat that would be over your cabing filter. It's located inside the upper and lower cowl on the passenger side. If you have one ensure it's in the down position. Also make sure your cabin filter is seated properly. If you don't have a rainhat, you can get one at the dealership. And lastly, I have a G4 bull, I fixed this issue by pulling back the carpet on the passenger side and putting silicone around the rubber grommet that's located on the floor board where the floor board starts to angle up towards the blower motor. I would check for this, not sure if the G3 has it or not.
__________________
grandpoohbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
lzzrdboy's Avatar
 
Member Number: 7601
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbia, SC USA
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 1,098
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
lzzrdboy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to lzzrdboy Send a message via MSN to lzzrdboy Send a message via Yahoo to lzzrdboy
Default

Quote:
If you have one ensure it's in the down position.[/b]
I too have had this problem and replacing the cowl did nothing (replaced because it did not sit flush against the windshield). I also contacted the dealership and was told by two separate ones that there is no rain hat ext. for my 2k bull. So, that said, I'm curious what you mean by "in the down position". Mine only bolts on one way. Could you possibly elaborate or provide photo of what it "should" look like?

Thanks as I'm tired of drying out my floorboards after every storm.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN 99!
__________________
Peace Be With You!
The Reverend LzzrdBoy

My New Gaming Web Site
lzzrdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
grandpoohbah's Avatar
 
Member Number: 8584
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Crowley, Texas
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 485
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
grandpoohbah has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to grandpoohbah Send a message via AIM to grandpoohbah Send a message via MSN to grandpoohbah Send a message via Yahoo to grandpoohbah
Default

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
If you have one ensure it's in the down position.[/b]
I too have had this problem and replacing the cowl did nothing (replaced because it did not sit flush against the windshield). I also contacted the dealership and was told by two separate ones that there is no rain hat ext. for my 2k bull. So, that said, I'm curious what you mean by "in the down position". Mine only bolts on one way. Could you possibly elaborate or provide photo of what it "should" look like?

Thanks as I'm tired of drying out my floorboards after every storm.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN 99!
[/b][/quote]

On my '02 SES the rainhat lifts(and locks)up maybe a 1/4 inch so you can remove/install the cabin filter. In my case if you leave it in the "up" position water will tend to run towards the firewall. I believe at one time there was a rainhat recall for '01-'04 bulls. Yes there was.

ISSUE
Some vehicles built between 5/1/2001 and 12/15/2003 may exhibit water in the blower case or on the passenger side floor, an inoperative climate control blower motor, a motor that operates on high speed only, and/or a blower motor resistor failure.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...ost&id=7877

Perhaps this is why you are getting told there's no extended rainhat for your '00. My understanding is the dealerships were replacing rainhats that were extended to ensure water would run in the correct direction. Perhaps they do not offer the part, but used it on the cars they serviced on the recall? Anyways, I'm willing to bet if you pull the carpet back on the passenger side and plug the rubber grommet with some silicone(it's located right where the footwell meets the floorpan, btw you can't see this grommet from under the car)your issues will be resolved. I did this and haven't had wet carpet since.
__________________
grandpoohbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
lzzrdboy's Avatar
 
Member Number: 7601
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbia, SC USA
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 1,098
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
lzzrdboy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to lzzrdboy Send a message via MSN to lzzrdboy Send a message via Yahoo to lzzrdboy
Default

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
If you have one ensure it's in the down position.[/b]
I too have had this problem and replacing the cowl did nothing (replaced because it did not sit flush against the windshield). I also contacted the dealership and was told by two separate ones that there is no rain hat ext. for my 2k bull. So, that said, I'm curious what you mean by "in the down position". Mine only bolts on one way. Could you possibly elaborate or provide photo of what it "should" look like?

Thanks as I'm tired of drying out my floorboards after every storm.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN 99!
[/b][/quote]

On my '02 SES the rainhat lifts(and locks)up maybe a 1/4 inch so you can remove/install the cabin filter. In my case if you leave it in the "up" position water will tend to run towards the firewall. I believe at one time there was a rainhat recall for '01-'04 bulls. Yes there was.

ISSUE
Some vehicles built between 5/1/2001 and 12/15/2003 may exhibit water in the blower case or on the passenger side floor, an inoperative climate control blower motor, a motor that operates on high speed only, and/or a blower motor resistor failure.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...ost&id=7877

Perhaps this is why you are getting told there's no extended rainhat for your '00. My understanding is the dealerships were replacing rainhats that were extended to ensure water would run in the correct direction. Perhaps they do not offer the part, but used it on the cars they serviced on the recall? Anyways, I'm willing to bet if you pull the carpet back on the passenger side and plug the rubber grommet with some silicone(it's located right where the footwell meets the floorpan, btw you can't see this grommet from under the car)your issues will be resolved. I did this and haven't had wet carpet since.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Grand! I'll check the grommet as you suggested. Will post again if it works or not.
__________________
Peace Be With You!
The Reverend LzzrdBoy

My New Gaming Web Site
lzzrdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 10896
Join Date: Dec 2006
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 46
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
DonNanneman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
I know that this subject has been addressed before, but I don't recall seeing any clear "This is how I fixed it" answers.

Two years ago I purchased a 99 Taurus from the 2nd owner. He told me that when it rained the front passenger side floorboard would get wet.
I never noticed such a problem until the last few times that it has rained. Now it seams that the front passenger side carpet gets soaked.
Naturally I had to start noticing the problem when it's 35 degrees outside.
I know that other people have experienced this same problem. If you could tell me what you did to stop the water, I would greatly appreciate it.

As a side note, I recently read in a Ford Focus forum that they have the same problem. Which makes me wonder, does Ford make any watertight cars?

Thank you for your advice...
[/b]
I am not sure if my problem is similar - 96 Sable, I haven't had it in heavy rain yet - but - did notice problems with defrost in misting rain ext temp mid 40s. The sides of windshield and side windows would fog up with defrost on and engine at operating temp. The cowling cover over passenger side does not fit tight to windshield. I have replaces the plastic screwas and seats but haven't priced replacemetn cowling. I am considering adding a couple of trim screws to pull it down, or using heat gun ot soften plastic and re-shape it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Don
DonNanneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
rogue's Avatar
 
Member Number: 5930
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,047
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
rogue has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

I had the same problem and I am fairly sure it was simply because I didn't tighten those plastic screws down all the way on the cowling and it left a gap.
__________________
-Jonathan
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 10904
Join Date: Dec 2006
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 15
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
99Bullie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Grandpoohbah,
Well I pulled up the wet carpet from the passenger side of my 1999 sedan.
Sure enough there's a rubber grommet where the footwell meets the floorpan.
Judging by the corrosion in the area of the grommet, water has been entering there.
I've removed the grommet, cleaned and dried the area, and reinstalled the grommet with liberal amounts of black silicone.
Hopefully that cures my problem. I'm going to leave the carpet pulled up for awhile to keep an eye on it.
I'll reply to the post again to let you know.
Thanks for the advice!
Tim
99Bullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
lzzrdboy's Avatar
 
Member Number: 7601
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbia, SC USA
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 1,098
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
lzzrdboy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to lzzrdboy Send a message via MSN to lzzrdboy Send a message via Yahoo to lzzrdboy
Default

Quote:
Grandpoohbah,
Well I pulled up the wet carpet from the passenger side of my 1999 sedan.
Sure enough there's a rubber grommet where the footwell meets the floorpan.
Judging by the corrosion in the area of the grommet, water has been entering there.
I've removed the grommet, cleaned and dried the area, and reinstalled the grommet with liberal amounts of black silicone.
Hopefully that cures my problem. I'm going to leave the carpet pulled up for awhile to keep an eye on it.
I'll reply to the post again to let you know.
Thanks for the advice!
Tim
[/b]
I just did this as well. As per Grand's recommendation. I noticed 2 grommets... one smack in the middle of the passenger floorboard and one where the footwell meets the floorpan. I went ahead and sealed them both with silicone as well. I too will be watching to see if this resolves my problem. BTW...just as a test, before I sealed the grommets, I showered the underside of the car (where the grommet is located) with water while the carpet was pulled up. Sure enough, after a couple of seconds, water started to seep in around the edges. I think Grand hit this one right on the head. Seems odd since I've been dealing with this for nearly a year and most all posts regarding the problem have something to say about the cowl or rain-hat. Nice to know a simple, barely-known fix did the trick.

Thanks again Grand! I'll also post again after we've see the fix work.
__________________
Peace Be With You!
The Reverend LzzrdBoy

My New Gaming Web Site
lzzrdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2