Battery Drains While Car Is Parked.... - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 10793
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
ninja_rabbit has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything comparable...

For the last month or so, if I park my car the battery discharges itself. At first I thought it may be the battery, so I put another one in. It was good for about 5 days and tonight I went to start the car, and no-go. Alternator shows 14.4 volts. Battery discharges after about 6 hours. No aftermarket accessories are on the car except my Sirius satellite radio, which draws practically nothing. The only thing I can imagine drawing is the factory alarm, but it should also draw hardly anything. This also seems to be somewhat of an intermittent problem. I can go a few days without the battery discharging, the all of a sudden it'll do it for 2 days straight, then be fine again for a couple of days.

Now, here's one thing I did notice: The posts on the battery are clean, and tight... but on the positive cable there is a smaller red wire tied into it. This wire has been cut off. Now, my question is, was this wire put on after the car was built, or is it supposed to be leading to something? Do all gen 3 Tauruses have this smaller wire running off of the positive cable?

Car is 99 Taurus with 3.0 Duratec.

Thanks in advance.

Current Vehicles:
1998 Mercury Sable 3.0 Vulcan

Retired:
1987 Mercury Sable - 3.0 Vulcan died 2002
1992 Taurus LX - 3.0 Vulcan Transmission died 2004
1999 Ford Taurus Wagon - 3.0 Duratec
ninja_rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 03:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 9733
redtires has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to redtires

Hmmm...that is odd. The only thing that I can think of is that (and it's blatently obvious) is that there is a drain somewhere in the factory harness. The only way that I know how to find it is to literally track the sucker down. True, your satalitte radio should drain virtually nothing, I've left mine on for days by accident and still had no problem. As for the extra wire off the batt....my '06 has one too, although I'm not 100% sure where it leads to...and quite honestly it's way to cold and dark to go out and check right now...lol. But yes, I believe it is supposed to be there on your '99 as well. A friend of mine had a similar problem on his eclipse, he had to take it to a shop and have them find the drain for him. You don't have anything else aftermarket, at all??

Blasts from the past:
2003 Honda Shadow ACE
1973 F100
1982 Suziki GS850L
1995 Merc Mystique (well modified)
1999 Kia (it's true, they really do surprise...ouch)
1982 Plymouth Reliant
1963 Chevy Nova (which I still kick myself for getting rid of)
1986 Plymouth Caravelle
1973 Honda 350F
1989 Taurus GL
redtires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Absolutely nothing aftermarket other than my Sirius. It has factory alarm as stated, and factory 6 disk cd changer in the back. If you do figure out what that extra wire is for please let me know.

Thanks.

Current Vehicles:

Retired:
Old 12-26-2006, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5206
CustomPerfSys has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to CustomPerfSys Send a message via Yahoo to CustomPerfSys

my 97 does not have it. but what i would check is some of the chassis grounds, make sure they are good, if somethings not grounded properly, you could be leaking voltage. if you drive around for a good long time does it fully charge? i would test that to make sure the voltage regulator isnt shot or anything. a good 30 minutes of highway driving should fully charge the battery.
RIP 91 Mocha/Mocha SHO N/A Wheels 185hp
RIP 97 Vulcan N/A Wheels 161hp 184ft/lb tq. (N20 Wheels 210hp and 229ft/lb tq.
www.cpsauto.us
CustomPerfSys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ya DragonKnight, it fully charges. If I drive it for 20 or 30 mins, and shut it off, it starts right back up. The starter turns like crazy. It's only after it's been parked for a couple of hours.

Current Vehicles:

Retired:
Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

Just something to keep in mind, driving you car for 30 minutes does not fully charge your battery. A dead battery requires 12-14 hours of charge to become fully charged. Driving the car for 30 minutes will only put a little charge. The alternator is only meant to maintain a charge in the battery. Therefor if the battery is low on charge to begin with the alternator will not add much more to it. If you really wanted to charge the battery fully with the alternator you'd have to take a 12 hour road trip.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this problem on my '97 and it turned out to be the football panel. I even put in a used one but it too had a 0.5A draw all the time.

Finally put in a third used one and it is now OK.

You need to hook an amp meter up between the battery negative post and the ground wire. Set it on amps and see what the draw is. Should be under 0.05A. If it is higher first wait 15 minuts to see if the automatic stuff times out as some modules will stay active after the door is opened or the key is cycled.

You will probably have to pull the interior lighting relay to kill the lights.

Then start pulling fuses until you track the circuit down that is causing the draw. It can be pretty agravating but if you methodically go through everything you will find the wire that's causing the problems.

Probably need the wire diagrams too. www.fordcds.com has the Ford factory manuals on cd for free.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 10768
ModemJunki has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Don't forget to check and see if the trunk light stays on. (Do 99's have a trunk light?).
ModemJunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 849
bob woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to bob woods Send a message via Yahoo to bob woods

Its been my experience that the small red wire that ties to the Positive battery terminal goes to the alternator output, either to the back of the alternator or to the relay box through a fuse. In my case on a 97 Taurus it goes through a 175 amp fuse to charge the battery.
bob woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 10769
RickMN will become famous soon enough

The wiring diagram shows two red wires coming off the + batt terminal. The big one goes directly to the starter. The 2nd one goes to the Mega Fuse (Right side of battery juntion block). After the mega fuse, an orange/blue and yellow/wht wire goes to the alternator.

As for battery drain, here's how it's diagnosed. You will need either a low amp clamp meter, or a digital multimeter with an amps featuer. The clamp meter is easiest. You clamp the meter onto the negative battery cable and wait for 3-5 minutes after the car has been shut down. At that point, you should see a significant drop in millamps due to computer shutdown. After shutdown, you should see no more than 50 milliamps. That power usually goes to the clock in your radio and any keep alive memory in the computer. If you see more than 50 milliamps, you've got something that's not shutting down. To find out what that something is, remove 1 fuse at a time until you see a drop in current draw. You should also pull each relay to check for the same drop. Most of the time, an intermittant problem like this is caused by a gremlin relay.

Another way to check is to attach the low amp probe and smack each relay with the handle of a screwdriver. If the current drops, you've found the bad relay.

If you have to use the digital multi-meter, you'll have to hook it in series with the negative battery cable.

Advertisement