Water In Blower Motor - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 5448
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
shoboy07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The blower motor in my moms 2002 Taurus doesn't work. Decided to take it out and there was water in there. How do you fix this? Is there a recall on this?
shoboy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 8584
grandpoohbah has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to grandpoohbah Send a message via AIM to grandpoohbah Send a message via MSN to grandpoohbah Send a message via Yahoo to grandpoohbah

I believe there's a service bulletin about this, but no recall. When this happened to me and after the blowermotor dried out it worked for about a year. The first thing to go out was the blower resistor. You'll know if it's the blower resistor once the blower will only blow on the high setting. Finally, the blower motor itself rusted up and stopped turning. However, there's few things you can check and correct. Make sure the platic cowling(passenger side)sits flush against your windshield. Inside of that cowling is your cabin filter. Make sure it's seated correctly and make sure the drain flap that covers the cabin filter is in the down position. For more indepth discussions on this subject, use the search function.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 5625
midday has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Check this thread for other useful links about this subject.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=28424&hl=cowl

Water can leak into the cowl air intake. There are ways to reduce the leak. There is a modified rain hat to direct rain away better from the cabin air intake.

There is a service bulletin. SB 04-15-3.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Page1from_TSB04_15_3FordCowlLeaks.gif (86.0 KB, 245 views)
midday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

water leak sb
Attached Images
File Type: gif Page2_from_TSB04_15_3FordCowlLeak_s.gif (45.1 KB, 219 views)
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

water leak sb
Attached Images
File Type: gif Page3_from_TSB04_15_3FordCowlLeaks.gif (13.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 09-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Or try this link
SB 04-15-3
water in blower case

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/...in%2004-15-3%22
Old 09-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

I spent awhile looking for the post you made back in dec about this exact thing...too bad I wasn't searching for cowling . Can mod/admin add this to the Common Problems please?
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1296
93 sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 93 sable

Well, since this has been brought up again, it's time for me to add..

My car (05) has had this problem since I bought it a year ago... Water on the passengers floor after a hard rain, coming from the blower motors bottom weep hole.

I have taken it to the dealer 2x and got nothing out of it. I did some diagnosing in my driveway the other day and came up with this...

Look at the picture below, the blue arrows represent water flowing down that has landed on the top lip of the rain hat. (this is not my picture, it came from someones post in my cabin filter thread located in my sig). The green arrows represent water that drops off the rain hat and past the cabin filter / air intake (safe water). The RED arrows represent water that drips off the rain hat and ON TO the cabin filter (water that I assume creates the leak), then through the air intake, through the blower motor, and onto the floor.

[img]http://24.60.35.128/images/rainhatleak.jpg' alt='' width='800' height='600' class='attach' />

I'm thinking I have to reverse the angle of the rain hat from up, to down and see if I still have a leak, since there will be NO opportunity for water to drip onto the filter. I ran a TON of water from a hose over that area of the windshield, and this is the only way water got onto the cabin filter.

I know my car is still in warranty, but I don't like letting my car go, and I don't have a way to get to work 35 miles away unless I get a loaner. but it's been there 2x and they have never found anything. It dosen't do it all the time, but after a HARD rain, or LONG decent rain, I'll have some water on the passengers floor, which drops from inside the blower motor, I've witnessed it more than once.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 4724
WarrenKlei has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a 98 ford taurus wagon and have also had a similar problem. I bought a new water shield. My old one doesnt have a flap and this one did but I practically broke it getting it in. I had to remove the bottom part of the passenger side cowl to get it in. I am wondering if this is designe correctly and if there is a technical bulletin related tot he 96-99 taurus' since the design seems slightly different.

Thanks.
WarrenKlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 4002
risoworker is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to risoworker Send a message via MSN to risoworker

Quote:
Originally posted by 93 Sable@Sep 24 2006, 11:13 PM
Well, since this has been brought up again, it's time for me to add..

My car (05) has had this problem since I bought it a year ago... Water on the passengers floor after a hard rain, coming from the blower motors bottom weep hole.

I have taken it to the dealer 2x and got nothing out of it. I did some diagnosing in my driveway the other day and came up with this...

Look at the picture below, the blue arrows represent water flowing down that has landed on the top lip of the rain hat. (this is not my picture, it came from someones post in my cabin filter thread located in my sig). The green arrows represent water that drops off the rain hat and past the cabin filter / air intake (safe water). The RED arrows represent water that drips off the rain hat and ON TO the cabin filter (water that I assume creates the leak), then through the air intake, through the blower motor, and onto the floor.

[img]http://24.60.35.128/images/rainhatleak.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />

I'm thinking I have to reverse the angle of the rain hat from up, to down and see if I still have a leak, since there will be NO opportunity for water to drip onto the filter. I ran a TON of water from a hose over that area of the windshield, and this is the only way water got onto the cabin filter.

I know my car is still in warranty, but I don't like letting my car go, and I don't have a way to get to work 35 miles away unless I get a loaner. but it's been there 2x and they have never found anything. It dosen't do it all the time, but after a HARD rain, or LONG decent rain, I'll have some water on the passengers floor, which drops from inside the blower motor, I've witnessed it more than once.
I had the same problem the motor was blown and water on passenger side.
Took it to tasca and they repaired it under my ESP and replaced
the cover with a bigger cover that has a high wall on one side.
the service advisor said ford is replacing leaking cowls with this new
and improved cover.

Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad. Thank you for the friend I made. Please watch over her as you watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest. I'm so very tired, but I go now to my rest at peace. I fought the good fight, I finished the race, I kept the faith.
risoworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement