Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2001 Ses Not Starting ...

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  dilly b 
#1 ·
So I finally paid my car off last night, and today when I need to make a short trip, it decides not to start anymore :/

On top of that, my alarm system keeps acting up really strange (very rapid beeps, but have never heard it before), and I am wondering if the alarm system is preventing me from starting the car.

I have tried jump starting the car, but no luck. The battery measures 12V when disconnected from everything, when connected, it measures around 7V (while the alarm is going nuts, and nothing electrical really works).

When I try starting the car while jumped, I have lights etc, but the speedometer goes up to 60mph, alarm goes nuts (and can't be stopped). I can hear the fuel pump kick in, then it starts making loud ticking noises really fast.

The alarm system/remote starter was installed by Ford, but there is no documentation, so I can't do any troubleshooting there.

Do I have a bad starter? I have around 105k miles, so I figured maybe it's the battery, but it doesn't explain the other strange behavior and voltages.

See less See more
#2 ·
How old is the battery? I'm willing to bet it has gone bad. They can go quick! This summer my 2002 Grand Cherokee did the same thing. Worked fine up until one morning. Got in it, the lights acted weird, would not even turn over the starter. Guages on the dash went bonkers. I thought it must be something other then the battery because everything was so bad.

Replaced the battery, everything is back to normal. Normal one day, gone the next. Replace your battery. Or at least take it to an AutoZone (or similar store) and have them check if for free.

#4 ·
I remeber jump starting my Grand Cherokee did not work right away. Battery could be so bad it won't hold enough of a charge to even let it jump start and stay running.

I would strongly suggest just replacing the battery. Especially if they have been saying it has been now for 3 years.

#5 ·
If your battery is running at half the normal voltage, it is overdue for a replacement. It's six years old anyway. Jumpstarting will do nothing if a battery is that far gone.

#6 ·
6 years out of a battery!? You are lucky. Most don't see 3-4 years. Go pickup a Duralast battery from AutoZone and you should be golden B)

G
#10 ·
Originally posted by etron@Sep 23 2006, 09:33 PM
My main concern is that it reports 12V when nothing is connected, but around 6-7V when hooked up. Combined with the rapid clicking noise when trying to start the car, does this still sound like a battery issue for sure?
Get a battery, a Duralast from Autozone as suggested above.

I won't pretend to know all the technical terms, but here's an idea of what happens. The plates in the battery erode away with usage, and once a load is applied to the battery, voltage drops like you're getting are common. Plus, all the electronics freaking out is a good indication as well.

I'd bet anything that the battery is bad, but Autozone offers free testing and charging. Have them check it out, but make sure you bring your money with you for a new battery.

Glad to see you around Eric!

#16 ·
Originally posted by etron@Sep 23 2006, 03:33 PM
So I finally paid my car off last night, and today when I need to make a short trip, it decides not to start anymore :/

On top of that, my alarm system keeps acting up really strange (very rapid beeps, but have never heard it before), and I am wondering if the alarm system is preventing me from starting the car.

I have tried jump starting the car, but no luck. The battery measures 12V when disconnected from everything, when connected, it measures around 7V (while the alarm is going nuts, and nothing electrical really works).

When I try starting the car while jumped, I have lights etc, but the speedometer goes up to 60mph, alarm goes nuts (and can't be stopped). I can hear the fuel pump kick in, then it starts making loud ticking noises really fast.

The alarm system/remote starter was installed by Ford, but there is no documentation, so I can't do any troubleshooting there.

Do I have a bad starter? I have around 105k miles, so I figured maybe it's the battery, but it doesn't explain the other strange behavior and voltages.
the only time my ses deosnt start and my alarm beeps rapidly is when my battery died replace with optima no probs started right back up

#17 ·
My 01 SES seems to be doing the same thing. A couple weeks ago my alternator started squeaking, and since it's covered under the dealer warranty i didn't want to pay to replace it myself, made a service appointment that ended up being TWO WEEKS LATER!! I kept my fingers crossed that the alternator would last until the appointment, but I knew it wouldn't. Car finally died at the car wash, friend came, jumped it and it ran. I Charged the battery that night and it lasted me like a day. When i went to work the next day it wouldn't start when i went to leave, we jumped it again and it barely worked, and when it did run gauges went nuts Tach jumped up and down and eventually sat at Zero, ABS light came on and low battery light came on. Barely made it home. Just wondering if everybody thinks that I just need a new battery and alternator.

Thanx!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.