Timing Cover Gasket Leak? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 6506
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
groinker has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hey folks I am back after not posting for a long time, it looks like I am finally going to get the title to my '92 so I feel like working on her again.

Now the problem always was that I had a mystery coolant leak near the rear right side of the engine. I still don't know for sure what the problem is. I've gotten as far as taking off the water pump and I was wondering if I should go all the way and replace the timing set and timing cover gasket (I figure it's proximity to that area of the engine means it could possibly be the culprit)?

I thought what I'd do is replace the timing set, all the gaskets and put a new pump in. Then see if that fixes the leak or not.
If not then my second guess is a leaking head gasket which I can fix without disturbing the pump or timing cover.
That sound like a good idea? I'm actually leaning toward the head being the problem but I figure with all the gooey gunk and sludge that's been in there for ages I might as well replace all the cooling components anyway, and I might luck out and they're the leakers so I won't have to tackel the head.

Am I crazy to just pull the head and replace the gasket and bolt it all together again? The engine has 132k and I feel weird doing this level of work without overhauling the whole engine but I don't have the tools to pull the block nor the money to have a shop check the heads out, etc.

Oh, one other thing, when I removed the leftmost bolt on the water pump (when facing the water pump) a bunch of coolant ran out of the bolt hole, does that just mean the gasket was leaking internally (so it doesn't matter) or could it mean something else?
1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 5.0L V8
1986 Audi 5000 S 2.2L I5
1985 Subaru GL 4X4 1.8L H4
1983 Chevy Monte Carlo CL 5.0L V8
1982 Ford Mustang GL 3.3L I6
1978 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT 5.8L V8
groinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement