Service Engine Soon Light - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Member Number: 6578
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 249
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
jake has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

It's always on, been on since I bought the car almost 2 years ago. Sometimes it turns off for a day or so but then BAM it's back on. I've taken it to 3 mechanics and they all tell me the same thing. Theres NOTHING wrong with the car. They all said that older American cars do this all the time, especially high mile cars (160K,mine). I'm sick of looking at it. At night it really beams up good and bright. Thinking of yanking out the bulb. Anyone else have this problem?
I did do a quick search and didn't see anything,if this has been discussed before I'm sorry. Slay me!!!!
__________________
Too much horror business, drivin' late at night.PSYCHO 78 talk about 12 O' Clock dont be late!
jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
buddhafabio's Avatar
 
Member Number: 7229
Join Date: Feb 2006
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 328
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 19
buddhafabio has a spectacular aura about
Default

you wont know what it is till you pull the code. if you are not too busy when it comes on go to autozone and they will pull it for free.

and something like that may be just a worn ill fitting fuel cap. but you wont know till you have a code.
__________________
Just got a 93 ranger, 5 speed, vulcan powered

which in a way could be a taurus with a pickup bed.
buddhafabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
thejcode's Avatar
 
Member Number: 3540
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chassell, MI.
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 4,482
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
thejcode has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to thejcode
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by buddhafabio@Mar 18 2006, 11:15 PM
you wont know what it is till you pull the code. if you are not too busy when it comes on go to autozone and they will pull it for free.

and something like that may be just a worn ill fitting fuel cap. but you wont know till you have a code.


The lights ALWAYS on for a reason. It just can end up being something small enough to not be noticeable in every day driving. Mechanics shouldnt be mechanics when they'll just tell you nothing's wrong with your SES light is one. <_<
__________________

Sold 1996 Sable GS; Dual Exhaust; Spoiler w/60led brake light; Glow Gauges; Fog/Driving combo lights; 150,000 miles on Friday the 13'th, July 2007.
New Ride as of Apr 4, 07: '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Every Option). If I wanted a hummer I would ask your sister (82k Miles as of July 08) Now her mom's.
New Ride as of July 20, 07: 1999 Contour SVT Mods: Pioneer P7800MP (75k Miles as of March 09)
New Ride as of July 23, 08: 2005 Audi A4 Quattro (53k Miles as of March 09)
New Ride as of April 24, 09: 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS X-Cab (153k Miles as of April 09)
thejcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 4863
Join Date: Feb 2005
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,972
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
sfontain has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Some cars do have service lights that come on periodically until you (or a mechanic) shuts them off. These are generally turned off by holding down some magic button combination that can be found in your manual.

To the best of my knowledge, '96+ Tauruses don't do this, and this website is not allowing me to see your profile right now, but based on the mileage you may have a '95 or earlier. Late 80s Thunderbirds and I think even late 90s Volvos (at the least) have this feature.

My suspicion is your mechanic is clueless. The maintenance alerts don't just turn off for a day or two at random intervals in my experience; they turn on and stay on until you shut them off.
__________________
sfontain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
BlackMaria's Avatar
 
Member Number: 4154
Join Date: Nov 2004
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 79
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
BlackMaria has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Jake,

Mine's been on since I first test-drove the car, a '99 Taurus, in October of '04. The place I bought it from passed it through Inspection.

Three months' post-due State Inspection recently, I was lucky enough to find a garage that got the light off just long enough to pass it.

Shortly before this, I'd taken it to Advance Auto where the codes showed "problems" with an oxygen sensor and a cam. Very expensive to fix, and I couldn't see "fixing" what wasn't broken - no way could I imagine the car running the least bit better than it was.

This car has run fantastic all along since the day I bought it, 17 months ago - never one single mechanical problem. The SES light is still on, has been all along, and yes, it's irritating

From what I've read on here, and have heard from others, I think a lot of people have problems with the thing.
BlackMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member
 
firespirit's Avatar
 
Member Number: 1387
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portage, IN
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 10,634
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 45
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackMaria@Mar 19 2006, 09:24 AM
Jake,

Mine's been on since I first test-drove the car, a '99 Taurus, in October of '04. The place I bought it from passed it through Inspection.

Three months' post-due State Inspection recently, I was lucky enough to find a garage that got the light off just long enough to pass it.

Shortly before this, I'd taken it to Advance Auto where the codes showed "problems" with an oxygen sensor and a cam. Very expensive to fix, and I couldn't see "fixing" what wasn't broken - no way could I imagine the car running the least bit better than it was.

This car has run fantastic all along since the day I bought it, 17 months ago - never one single mechanical problem. The SES light is still on, has been all along, and yes, it's irritating

From what I've read on here, and have heard from others, I think a lot of people have problems with the thing.
The o2 sensor makes you loose gas mileage and the cam pos. sensor will eventually wreak havoc on your engine.
__________________
97 Ford Taurus :://:: 2001 Mercury Sable
firespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 4863
Join Date: Feb 2005
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,972
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
sfontain has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Firespirit+Mar 19 2006, 09:43 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Firespirit @ Mar 19 2006, 09:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackMaria@Mar 19 2006, 09:24 AM
Jake,

Mine's been on since I first test-drove the car, a '99 Taurus, in October of '04.* The place I bought it from passed it through Inspection.

Three months' post-due State Inspection recently, I was lucky enough to find a garage that got the light off just long enough to pass it.

Shortly before this, I'd taken it to Advance Auto where the codes showed "problems" with an oxygen sensor and a cam.* Very expensive to fix, and I couldn't see "fixing" what wasn't broken - no way could I imagine the car running the least bit better than it was.

This car has run fantastic all along since the day I bought it, 17 months ago - never one single mechanical problem.* The SES light is still on, has been all along, and yes, it's irritating*

From what I've read on here, and have heard from others, I think a lot of people have problems with the thing.
The o2 sensor makes you loose gas mileage and the cam pos. sensor will eventually wreak havoc on your engine. [/b][/quote]


The O2 sensor is a $50 part, and the cam sensor isn't that terribly expensive to fix either.
__________________
sfontain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 899
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 15,578
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 55
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by sfontain+Mar 19 2006, 10:47 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sfontain @ Mar 19 2006, 10:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Firespirit@Mar 19 2006, 09:43 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-BlackMaria
Quote:
@Mar 19 2006, 09:24 AM
Jake,

Mine's been on since I first test-drove the car, a '99 Taurus, in October of '04.* The place I bought it from passed it through Inspection.

Three months' post-due State Inspection recently, I was lucky enough to find a garage that got the light off just long enough to pass it.

Shortly before this, I'd taken it to Advance Auto where the codes showed "problems" with an oxygen sensor and a cam.* Very expensive to fix, and I couldn't see "fixing" what wasn't broken - no way could I imagine the car running the least bit better than it was.

This car has run fantastic all along since the day I bought it, 17 months ago - never one single mechanical problem.* The SES light is still on, has been all along, and yes, it's irritating*

From what I've read on here, and have heard from others, I think a lot of people have problems with the thing.

The o2 sensor makes you loose gas mileage and the cam pos. sensor will eventually wreak havoc on your engine.


The O2 sensor is a $50 part, and the cam sensor isn't that terribly expensive to fix either. [/b][/quote]
And eventually the 02 sensor problem is going to make your engine run lean or rich, and it'll either burn up the pistons and cylinder heads (lean) or it'll make your engine run terribly.

THe engine codes are there for a reason. If you'd prefer to not spend $20K on a new car or $2K on a new engine, you would be well for getting those codes fixed. Otherwise, don't bitch that your engine blew up, and flood the world with stories of how bad Taurus engines are...if your engine goes, you're the only one to blame.

Jake, go to Autozone and get the codes read. Your mechanic is an idiot. When you have the codes read, bring them back here and let us know what they are. We can help you solve them.

JR
__________________

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
BlackMaria's Avatar
 
Member Number: 4154
Join Date: Nov 2004
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 79
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
BlackMaria has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

After reading the responses I wrote to another member (negative again, as has happened before) I have decided to terminate my membership.

When I click on "My Controls" it takes me to a blank page. I tried clicking on beneath my avatar, and the same thing happens. I see no Contact link.

If an Administrator is reading this and can terminate my membership, Thank You.
BlackMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member
 
firespirit's Avatar
 
Member Number: 1387
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portage, IN
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 10,634
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 45
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackMaria@Mar 19 2006, 02:02 PM
After reading the responses I wrote to another member (negative again, as has happened before) I have decided to terminate my membership.

When I click on "My Controls" it takes me to a blank page. I tried clicking on beneath my avatar, and the same thing happens. I see no Contact link.

If an Administrator is reading this and can terminate my membership, Thank You.
How is my response "negative"? Explain that one to me, please. Obviously I'm not understanding how me explaining what may or may not happen to your engine is negative.
__________________
97 Ford Taurus :://:: 2001 Mercury Sable
firespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2