100,000 Mile Maintenance - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 03:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 6598
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Amtrak288 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My Bull is nearing 89k, I've religiously changed the oil in this car and have thus had no lack of performance (my gas mileage is a good 4 mpg BETTER this year than last year, these vulcans must improve with age!!!). I'm wondering, is it a good idea to have the 100,000 mile work done at around 90k? At my next Oil change, I will have also a tranny service done (last done at 64k). Can I wait until 100k, or should I err on the side of caution and do the necessary work at 90k? Plus, outside of changing spark plugs/wires and replacing the PCV valve, what else needs to be done?
Amtrak288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 4863
sfontain has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You will never, ever hurt anything by doing maintenance early.

Do everything your manual tells you to do at 90K and 100K and you will be in pretty good shape.

On the transmission flush: Make certain if you have it done outside of a dealership that you get -all- the fluid replaced, not just what's in the pan.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 872
mykej27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to mykej27

Aside from an oil change and if you don't have any other signs of problems, then wait another 10k miles. Do them one at a time if you like. No one is forcing you to do the maintinance, but it needs to be done, otherwise you will eventually have problems. I did all the my major maintinance at 85k, but I was starting to show signs of wear at that time, so my situation was a little different.

Make sure when you do a transmission flush that you use exactly what fluid is stated in your manual. Don't let anyone tell you it's okay to use another fluid type.

It's a good idea to change the serpentine belt while you do all of that as well. If you can aford it, flush the coolant system as well to prevent any future coolant problems.

Michael
-MACH 200 watt stereo system & 800 watts of power on my 12" MTX speaker box w/1 Farad Monster Cap.
mykej27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 6598
Amtrak288 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks to all who have replied so far, I may get the 100,000 mile service done at my next oil change just to get everything done at the same time. As far as tranny service goes, my tranny was serviced at 45k, just before I bought the car, then I had it serviced at 64k, both times, it was done by Ford Dealers, my next service will be done by a Quick Lane at the Ford Dealer where I bought the car, I was told by them that they don't drop the pan as you don't get all the fluid out that way, they have a special machine they hook up to the tranny that flushes all of the old fluid out. It's totally worth the $110 or $120 they charge for the service as I've had no problems in the past. I changed the Serpentine Belt in my driveway with the help of my Dad and a Haynes Manual back in May at around 70k, bought a NAPA belt for $38.00 and it has a lifetime warranty on it. I just had my oil changed on Saturday, they wanted to change my cabin air filter but unless someone here can talk me out of doing that in my driveway, maybe I'll have that done at the next oil change.
Amtrak288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 4863
sfontain has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If you can change your own oil, you can change your own cabin air filter.

I agree: A Mercon V ATF flush is entirely worth $120.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 872
mykej27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to mykej27

Cool, man. Sounds like you got it all covered. Just have the plugs changed and have the plug wires and the coil pack tested to see if they're still good.
-MACH 200 watt stereo system & 800 watts of power on my 12" MTX speaker box w/1 Farad Monster Cap.
mykej27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

My car is 80 miles away from the big 100k. It gets a tune-up (spark plugs, fuel filter, and distributor cap/rotor), oil change, coolant and tranny flush, and what else? I have a K&N and it doesn't need cleaning yet. The serpentine belt was replaced at 93k. I'm in the process of changing the P/S fluid. A/C works fine. Tires aren't too bad. I'm going to get a tranny cooler. I run Chevron gas exclusivly so I don't think the injectors are dirty. Should I change the spark plug wires and coil if they seem to work fine?

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.