03 Taurus Fuel Pressure Regulator Or Fuel Pump? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 6839
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
waltinbatonrouge has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi ther all....I use Shell / Racetrack gas only at various stations throughout mid / northern Louisiana except for 1 tankfull at a podunk no name in the boonies and here's the rest of the story..

03 Taurus with Vulcan engine and 62k miles..regular maintenance at Ford..
at 45,000 miles taurus coughed and killed on interstate Ford Ford ran DTC diagnostics called the P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure code ...replaced fuel filter much brown gunk out of input side of filter...ran fine 2 months..

55,000 coughed again on interstate took back to Ford replaced fuel filter again P0191 code ran fine for 1 month until it got down to 1/2 tank of fuel so I kept it full..

last week at 62,000 miles started running rough again replaced fuel filter..no junk in filter..still runs bad...until I stop the car , then restart runs fine for a 5 minutes or 15 minutes at 75 mph or sometimes will killl at a stopsign

had service tech at local shop (ford store backed up for 3 days) check fuel pressure after P0191 code with mac tech tool reading as high as 45 psi as low as 7psi fuel pressure when reving the engine...tech say NO question BAD FUEL PUMP..($650 to R and R tank and pump) i say why not a faulty pressure regulator with a leaking diaphragm??

seems to me an electric motor either works or it doesn't??

your advice and help help PLEASE!!

walt in baton rouge 225 753 9455
waltinbatonrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

It is a good possibility that the fuel pump is bad. Considering you've pumped some nasty stuff into the filter in the past, it had to pass through the pump first. The filter screen on the pump may be clogged too.

The fuel pressure should be around 40-50.

If you believe the fuel rail pressure regulator is bad, I'll send you one you can test it out with. I have a '03 fuel rail from an engine swap.
[edit: Oops... I just noticed you have a Vulcan. My rail is from a Duratec.]
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 4863
sfontain has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Why do they want to replace the fuel tank??
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

after thinking through this..the simple fact that the fuel presssure dropped as the car atarted to miss abit tells me its the pump.. probably a rust filled filter sock) the purpose of the regulator is to dump excess fuel volume (delivered by the pump at a constant pressure) depending on engine demand...so if the regulator was bad you'd have constant fuel pressure yet none delivered to the fuel rail..not quite the case here...

have you had much luck replacing just the electric motor in the pup there is a motorcraft kit on ebay with the OEM pump motor and new filter for $60 vs. about 4x that for the complete ford part..thanka again

oh...for the writer who asked why they suggested replacing the tank...the pump is IN the tank the estimate was for removing and replacing (putting it back under the car) R&R...not buying a new tank...got it?

walt
Old 01-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 6066
turbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to turbo Send a message via Yahoo to turbo

working on or with fuel pumps is not that easy because my dad had to replace lots of fuel parts on or 84 jag it had two tanks so twice the fun but i think one just had a leak the other had rusted alot. ohh and wasted lot of gas he had for got he put gas in both tanks befor working on it so he lost like 5 gallons but yet again gas i think then was like $1.45 gallon
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

I believe that you can access the fuel pump by removing the rear lower seat cushion on the newer Taurus', but you might need to do some cutting to do so. The service cd for 1998 says that you have to drop the tank, but I don't have the one for 2003. I know that Hamal was able to access the fuel pump on his Gen II SHO by using the seat cushion method.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You will have to drop the tank. No big deal really, especially with a newer car. Two nuts to be removed to drop the straps and disconnected the various hoses. Then take out the FP module.

I drained the tank by disconnecting the fuel filter at the front of the filter. Hooked a hose to the filter and hot wired the pump through the roll over switch until I had the fuel pumped out. Then dropped the tank.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 5559
aboss has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by waltinbatonrouge@Jan 10 2006, 10:37 PM
after thinking through this..the simple fact that the fuel presssure dropped as the car atarted to miss abit tells me its the pump.. probably a rust filled filter sock) the purpose of the regulator is to dump excess fuel volume (delivered by the pump at a constant pressure) depending on engine demand...so if the regulator was bad you'd have constant fuel pressure yet none delivered to the fuel rail..not quite the case here...

have you had much luck replacing just the electric motor in the pup there is a motorcraft kit on ebay with the OEM pump motor and new filter for $60 vs. about 4x that for the complete ford part..thanka again

oh...for the writer who asked why they suggested replacing the tank...the pump is IN the tank the estimate was for removing and replacing (putting it back under the car) R&R...not buying a new tank...got it?

walt
To your question, Yes have just replaced the pump itself on several vehicles over time. Only reason to replace the whole thing is if the sending unit or the float is shot for fuel level. However I have seen situations where you had to buy the whole structure, sender and pump as one piece. But not on Fords that I remember.
To empty the tank we have a long hose attached to an small after market fuel pump with another hose to a gas can- we added long wires to the pump with clamps on the end and connected the pump to the battery. NO sparks near the gas or tank. The pump was $12 or so at NAPA.
Gettin the tank itself out is easiest on a lift with a trans jack but it can be done on the ground. Good luck, Alex
aboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks much Alex..

I ordered the pump motor on ebay..will let you know what I find when I drop the tank..my guess is a sock full of rust from an ancient gas station with a near empty old steel tank near Bunkie Louisiana..live and learn..

your Taurus Car Club support is superb thanks for bailing me out on this one..

walt in baton rouge
Old 01-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 5559
aboss has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by waltinbatonrouge@Jan 11 2006, 07:37 PM
thanks much Alex..

I ordered the pump motor on ebay..will let you know what I find when I drop the tank..my guess is a sock full of rust from an ancient gas station with a near empty old steel tank near Bunkie Louisiana..live and learn..

your Taurus Car Club support is superb thanks for bailing me out on this one..

walt in baton rouge
Walt - looks like a winner- I always remind myself to replace the little 3 inch link of gas hose and double check the hose clamps cause I once had to do it over when the hose leaked after reinstall- took days to figure it out. Good luck. Alex
aboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement