A/c Lines - How To Disconnect? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 6371
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Horacus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi,
I'm replacing the heater core in my 1988 Sable GS 3.0L.
I have the dashboard out. I have the heater core bypassed since early last summer and now I'm in the final stage of pulling the heater core.
Before I can do that though I have to disconnect the A/C lines on the firewall side.
I bought the spring lock coupling tool set.
I managed the top line.
But the lower line (condenser line) just will not disconnect. I struggled with it almost two hours yesterday and it will not go.
I used the 5/8" spring lock tool which seems like the only size that fits.
I push it into that doughnut thing from the firewall side in the dirrection outward and then I pull the line toward me to disconnect but it will not move.
Anyone has any tips, advice?
Also I found a doughnut shapped spring under my car after disconnecting the top line? Is that from the spring lock doughnut thing?
Is the lower line the same mechanism as the top line?
I'm stuck with this and my fingers are hurting from working the spring lock tool and pulling the line.
Any help, pointers, pictures or anything at all much appreciated.
Sorry for the long post.
Horacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 533
baby sho has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yes, the spring you found was from the upper hose.

There are two spring lock tools, the metal sissors (dont bother) and the individual plastic ones (these are the ones you want).

I have been in the same position as you. They suck. The best thing to do is to press the connection TOGETHER, insert the tool as hard as you can then while still putting pressdure on the tool, pull the hose off. The main thing is pressing the connection together at first. I found this helps somtimes.

Best of luck

-Brad
SHO Front/Rear Disk Upgrade/Conversion, Bias Bypass
4 Corner Rear SFB's, Modified Tail's, Cold Air Intake....

98' Red E0 Contour SVT - Project SVT Tour'
Pioneer Touch Screen Navigation / DVD, Infinity Speakers
Borla Stainless Cat-Back, AEM True CAI, High Flow Y-Pipe
3L Hybrid w/ 3L Valves, Window Automation, Torsen LSD
Adjustable Koni Sport Kit Suspension, 17" FSVT Wheels....

97' F-150 Lariat
- Project Tow(the)Sho
Stock With All Options (Not For Long!)
baby sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 4431
Robert L has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Robert L

Quote:
Originally posted by Horacus@Nov 8 2005, 03:25 PM
Hi,
I have the dashboard out. I have the heater core bypassed since early last summer and now I'm in the final stage of pulling the heater core.
Before I can do that though I have to disconnect the A/C lines on the firewall side.
I managed the top line.
But the lower line (condenser line) just will not disconnect. I struggled with it almost two hours yesterday and it will not go.
I push it into that doughnut thing from the firewall side in the dirrection outward and then I pull the line toward me to disconnect but it will not move.
Also I found a doughnut shapped spring under my car after disconnecting the top line? Is that from the spring lock doughnut thing?
I'm stuck with this and my fingers are hurting from working the spring lock tool and pulling the line.
Sorry for the long post.
Yes the lines share the same coupling, and yeah that spring looking loop is what holds the lines on, that lower line gets stuck often, I found heating the outside of the tube with a small propane torch or cig lighter for a min or two will help the o-ring that is keeping the lines stuck together break it's grip.
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5482
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2000 Taurus SEL 2005 Taurus SEL Wagon 1998 Taurus SE 285,000 miles 1995
fordtaurus2000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to fordtaurus2000 Send a message via Yahoo to fordtaurus2000

Go to a parts store and ask for the quick disconnect tool. Thak is what you need.

8 Ford Family - 1994 Wagon GL - 1995 SHO MTX -2005 SEL Wagon - 2000 SEL - COTM April '07
ASE Master Auto Body Tech
ASE Mechanic
fordtaurus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Nov 8 2005, 04:39 PM
Yes, the spring you found was from the upper hose.

There are two spring lock tools, the metal sissors (dont bother) and the individual plastic ones (these are the ones you want).

I have been in the same position as you. They suck. The best thing to do is to press the connection TOGETHER, insert the tool as hard as you can then while still putting pressdure on the tool, pull the hose off. The main thing is pressing the connection together at first. I found this helps somtimes.

Best of luck

-Brad
Thank you very much for that tip.
I didn't think of pushing the connections together first since I could only get one hand in there behind the engine.
I'll try it tomorrow and I already have a good feeling about it.
Although it'll be hard to get both hands to that lower line since it's behind the engine.
But if I manage that one line then I'll finaly get to the heater core! Yeeeehaaaw.
Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert L+Nov 8 2005, 04:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert L @ Nov 8 2005, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Horacus@Nov 8 2005, 03:25 PM
Hi,
I managed the top line.
Sorry for the long post.
Yes the lines share the same coupling, and yeah that spring looking loop is what holds the lines on, that lower line gets stuck often, I found heating the outside of the tube with a small propane torch or cig lighter for a min or two will help the o-ring that is keeping the lines stuck together break it's grip.[/b][/quote]
Ok, heating the ring is another idea.
I didn't think of it before since the whole area around there was slick with the freyon that came out after I disconnected the top line (I did release some pressure before via the valve but it still banged and splashed the liquid onto the back of the engine) and I was concerned about it being flamable so I avoided open flames and smoked my cigarrets well away sitting on the curb.
Thinking back to yesterday, I did more sitting on the curb and smoking than working on the car after failing to disconnect that lower A/C line Even got to know all my naibours when they were getting in and out of their cars
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 4431
Robert L has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Robert L

Clean the area that got sprayed with brake parts cleaner then hose it down with water, heat tube and pull line apart, I have done it hundreds of times.
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement