|10-08-2005, 06:00 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Description of OBD-II Drive Cycle
The following procedure is designed to execute and complete the OBD-II monitors and to clear the Ford P1000, I/M readiness code.
To complete a specific monitor for repair verification, follow steps 1 through 4, then continue with the step described by the appropriate monitor found under the "OBD-II Monitor Exercised" column. When the ambient air temperature is outside 4.4 to 37.8 C (40 to 100o F), or the altitude is above 2438 meters (8000 feet), the monitor will not run. If the P1000 code must be cleared in these conditions, the must detect them once (twice on some applications) before the monitor can be "bypassed" and the P1000 cleared. The "bypassing" procedure is described in the following drive cycle.
The OBD-II Drive Cycle will be performed using a scan tool. Consult the instruction manual for each described function.
NOTE: A detailed description of a Powertrain Control Module ( ) Reset is found in this section, refer to the table of contents.
Drive Cycle Recommendations:
Most OBD-II monitors will complete more readily using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a "smooth" fashion will minimize the time required for monitor completion.
Fuel tank level should be between Â½ and Â¾ fill with Â¾ fill being the most desirable.
The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".
STRICT OBSERVANCE OF POSTED SPEED LIMITS AND ATTENTION TO DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE MANDATORY WHEN PROCEEDING THROUGH THE FOLLOWING DRIVE CYCLES.
For best results, follow each of the following steps as accurately as possible:
OBD-II Monitor Exercised Drive Cycle Procedure
Purpose of Drive Cycle Procedure
Drive Cycle Preparation
1. Install scan tool. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select appropriate Vehicle & Engine qualifier. Clear all DTCâ€™s/Perform a Reset. Bypasses engine soak timer. Resets OBD-II Monitor status.
. 2. Begin to monitor the following PIDs: , EVAPDC, FLI (if available) and MODE. .
. . Start Vehicle WITHOUT returning to Key Off. .
3. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds. Drive at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) until is at least 76.7 C (170o F). .
Prep for Monitor Entry
4. Is within 4.4 to 37.8 C (40 to 100o F)? If Not, complete the following steps but, note that step 14 will be required to "bypass" the monitor and clear the P1000. Engine warm-up and provide input to the .
5. Cruise at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) for up to 4 minutes. Executes the monitor.
6 Cruise at 72 to 104 Km/h (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note, to initiate the monitor: MODE should = PT, EVAPDC must be > 75%, and FLI must be between 15 and 85% Executes the Monitor
(If is within 4.4 to 37.8 C (40 to 100oF) )
7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.
8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at Â½ to Â¾ throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the Monitor.
9. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes. Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.
10. For M/T, accelerate from 0 to 80 Km/h (0 to 50 MPH), continue to step 11. For A/T, from a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 64 Km/h (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 64 Km/h (40 MPH), activate overdrive and accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times. Executes the transmission portion of the CCM.
11. From a stop, accelerate to 104 Km/h (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until 64 Km/h (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. Allows learning for the misfire monitor.
12. Access the On-Board System Readiness (OBD-II monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all non-continuous monitors have completed. If not, go to step 13. Determines if any monitor has not completed.
Pending Code Check and Monitor "Bypass" Check
13. With the scan tool, check for pending codes. Conduct normal repair procedures for any pending code concern. Otherwise, rerun any incomplete monitor. Note; if the monitor is not complete AND was out of the 4.4 to 37.8 C (40 to 100o F) temperature range in step #4, or the altitude is over 2438 m. (8000 ft.), the "bypass" procedure must be followed. Proceed to step 14. Determines if a pending code is preventing the clearing of P1000.
14. Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps 2 through 12. DO NOT REPEAT STEP1. Allow the "bypass" counter to increment to two.
8 Ford Family - 1994 Wagon GL - 1995 SHO MTX -2005 SEL Wagon - 2000 SEL - COTM April '07
ASE Master Auto Body Tech