7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Paswords

The forum requires now a password with 10 characters, mix of lower-higher caps, limited to 5 tries... more security than my bank.

I had to reset it just to write this, "saving" the password in the browser is less secure and I don't do it. Probably I will forget this new password again, so sorry, I don't think I will post here again.

"Those with limited knowledge in a domain suffer from a dual burden: Not only do they reach mistaken conclusions and make regrettable errors, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:06 PM

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 1
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Garage
Dont forget, also requires a symbol now too!

Same thing, each time it happens I am gone for a few weeks to months. Should not have to keep putting forth that much effort just to login. (and then change it, and change it) As long as I can remember my passwords the same as before just with an exclamation point I should be OK!
Less secure if someone hacks in or physically has your computer yes. Its safer than keeping a credit card in your wallet, by far.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Hey there

I know complex passwords can be a pain. If you don't want to use your browser to save them, that's no problem. You can use a password manager, if you prefer. Some members' also suggest a Notepad file, or a literal notepad on their desk.

They also don't have to be so difficult to remember. Try a pass 'phrase' instead. Something like AllTheC0ins! as a nod to your username Others have suggested using the first letter in each word to your favourite line of lyrics: ialw2ttiywR&R - It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll!

Dayle

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017

@administrator, we can do better than what we have set. Our password complexity is absolutely extreme for a car forum.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
@administrator, we can do better than what we have set. Our password complexity is absolutely extreme for a car forum.

it was required by our legal team since the breach. your browser should have a password saver.

Lee
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

..which, inherently, are a security risk themselves.

I am not unsympathetic to the logic of an attorney providing good counsel, but there are financial institutions in the world that aren't protecting their customer's online banking with this degree of complexity.

I don't expect a response, I'm putting the screws to the logic a bit. We appreciate your efforts in maintaining and operating the site but also can't help but notice when usability has been reduced without a measurable increase in another element such as security.
SoNic67 likes this.

thefranchise713

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 2 reviews
I have to agree as well. I am a systems admin for a Dental company who has to comply with hippaa laws and we have less complexity with our passwords.
SoNic67 and thefranchise713 like this.

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 193K miles and kicking, 99 Durango 318, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
..which, inherently, are a security risk themselves.

I am not unsympathetic to the logic of an attorney providing good counsel, but there are financial institutions in the world that aren't protecting their customer's online banking with this degree of complexity.

I don't expect a response, I'm putting the screws to the logic a bit. We appreciate your efforts in maintaining and operating the site but also can't help but notice when usability has been reduced without a measurable increase in another element such as security.
The rules themselves are not closed off from being revisited, as it stands due to requirements of privacy law we had to invalidate compromised logins, the new password rules were implemented by recommendation of legal and tech based on the fact that the new rules create a password that can be short enough to remember while still being complex enough to prevent being figured out by a dictionary script. I appreciate that "the requirements aren't as hard for my bank/work/*insert various places here*" however the concern and the logic was that there are those who's password was the same plain text password across multiple platforms, including their bank, work, email, myspace, everywhere. So if those passwords are not valid on the forum that is known to have been breached like they were the bot hackers, fraudsters, and other unsavory internet types were less inclined to try elsewhere as suddenly the passwords they cracked were out dated and useless. To the other point in your post, the password change was only the front end facing change made for security, the system that causes the new rules has with it multiple locks, loggers, and other major changes and authentications. Passwords were just the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

Kyle
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

^ OK, I can respect that. I would throw a nickel into the hat and say a 7 character password plus 1 other complexity & no reuse policy would have done it...

That being said, I'd also be one who used a two-factor solution. A minor PITA, but one I'd be willing to go with if you implemented it.
SoNic67 likes this.

thefranchise713

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

It is what it is, once the specter of potential liability arising from a lack of due diligence raises it's head the lawyers always win and it's everybody out of the pool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page