Vehicle Information Change! Update Your Info NOW!! - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Here's just one example:

2015 Taurus SHO

Granted, this one put his VERY basic info in the header, but nothing in his info to the side ~

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^+1. I hate to admit it, but when I don't see a model year/engine type mentioned, I usually just go to the next thread... The 'ol "Help us help you".
Lgbpop, sousa632 and jag1959 like this.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^+1. I hate to admit it, but when I don't see a model year/engine type mentioned, I usually just go to the next thread... The 'ol "Help us help you".
Not sure why you hate admitting it, I always viewed that as a reasonable standpoint. I freely admit that I usually felt the same way prior to the recent change but now I am forced to cut anyone that was here before it slack they may not deserve simply because it may have been deleted. To me failure to include it is right up there with ignoring the 3 separate times a noob sees instructions not to post repair questions in the intro forum but does it anyway in terms of expecting assistance their lack of courtesy in helping us to help them might disqualify them for

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:19 AM
Administrator

So you guys want to change it so that new users will need to provide their vehicle information in the process of registering? What about the ones still looking?

We want to make registering faster for everyone so they can start posting, and then use the progress bar to encourage them to add a vehicle in their own time.

Lee
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Wouldn't having 'just looking' or something to that effect as an option in the drop down box accomplish both? It was counter productive to dump all the existing user info without the payoff of forcing complete user vehicle info out of new registrants as the trade off. The progress bar doesn't encourage anything. There are plenty of existing members with past repair threads that have to be asked for vehicle info every time they post that still have not added it to their user panel. The idea of making it fast instead of right is what frustrates the members giving repair advice, the people whose input are the very reason new users register and give this site value as a viable resource as opposed to being just another automotive click bait site.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon

Trader Score: 2 reviews
The whole reason I make the change from the text box(which really wasn't better being that all you had to do was put something in the box) to the drop down selections, was to get users to add their information, and to simplify it. Takes the guess work out of what we want you to have in there. Now........... of course there are people who just don't give a damn, and those are the people who you have to ask, and ask again to edit their information, but for the most part people who WANT to share, do. I have given up on helping people that don't give information pertinent to their car or problem.

Now..... what I would like to see is during the registration process where you have the email confirmation message and it says "click here" to go back to what you are doing, instead have it direct them to the UserCP where it's required of them to add those information fields at registration and profile updates. I understand the 'get them in quicker' thought process, but from the member side(which is the most important part of any forum) it's really frustrating trying to help people when they don't give all the information possible to help them. Just like Sheila said..... help us help you. If we can get them to do it right off the bat, it will be there. The more senior members require a little more push because we can't make it mandatory without creating havoc.

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 196K miles and kicking, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sousa632; 04-07-2016 at 09:11 PM.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Regardless of which way the procedure does or not change, I have given up asking people about their vehicle info. To me, that just seems to be common sense to include it. That is second on my list of pet peeves, the first of which is the ubiquitous title "Please Help!" without a darned bit of info.
sousa632 likes this.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Hey guys,

I've made it so that users need to put in their vehicle info as a requirement for registration. If you find that this is too tedious, let me know and I'll turn it off then.

As for the users that have already registered, they will need to do it after.

Lee
sheila, bpd1151 and jag1959 like this.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Thank you! In response to a couple of requests could we please have Ford Taurus Wagon and Mercury Sable Wagon added to the available choices in the vehicle drop down box?

Last edited by jag1959; 04-08-2016 at 11:04 AM.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon

Trader Score: 2 reviews
I just added them Mark.
administrator likes this.

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 196K miles and kicking, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page