For Sale Section Revamp NECESSARY!! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of
Exclamation For Sale Section Revamp NECESSARY!!

Ok..... I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of seeing the 'fly by night' people coming on here, posting a car and taking off. I understand this is a site of it's members, and they technically are members, but they do not contribute to the forum in any other way. They come, leave extremely vague information, no pictures, and leave an email address. Me working in IT, KNOW that email links can lead to spam of member email accounts if they email to ask for more information, which is not acceptable.

On many other sites that I am members of there is a posting requirement in order to even view the For Sale section. Some are 50 some are 75, but I dont think it needs to be that strict, maybe 10 or 20, but I think this is necessary to help OUR community that WE contribute to.

What does everyone here think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 29136
Drives: 1991 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 V6, Owned since 1992, sold Jan 2013
Trader Score: 0 reviews
1991glforever has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think a lot of people who are trying to get rid of their Taurus's figure that a Taurus Forum would be the best place to list it for free, so they just come here to post an advertisement of their car. The best way around this would be to impose some sort of layout for sellers to follow.

Family Owned 1992-2013

1993 Chrysler Town & Country (Current)
1991 Ford Taurus GL (Sold)
1991glforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 47183
Drives: 2007 Crown Victoria P71
Trader Score: 3 reviews
2001 SES is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
Ok..... I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of seeing the 'fly by night' people coming on here, posting a car and taking off. I understand this is a site of it's members, and they technically are members, but they do not contribute to the forum in any other way. They come, leave extremely vague information, no pictures, and leave an email address. Me working in IT, KNOW that email links can lead to spam of member email accounts if they email to ask for more information, which is not acceptable.

On many other sites that I am members of there is a posting requirement in order to even view the For Sale section. Some are 50 some are 75, but I dont think it needs to be that strict, maybe 10 or 20, but I think this is necessary to help OUR community that WE contribute to.

What does everyone here think?
I agree, it is pretty annoying to see this almost everyday... Maybe some how combat the spammers too
1995 SHO Red - Sold
The ex-official bad ass bulls of Central New York

Need some Mach audio? PM me, plenty in stock
2001 SES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3575
sfhess will become famous soon enough

I thought you had to be a "contributing member" on the site (in other words, make a cash donation for upkeep etc) in order to post in "For Sale". Maybe that went away with the ownership change.

Intact is one word. A lot is two words.

1991 Taurus LX Sedan 3.8 Titanium Frost - Taken to the pound/RIP 12/27/2012.
2011 Fusion 2.5 Auto Silver Appearance Package
1969 Cougar XR 7 351W
2014 Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI White Sport Package
"I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability" - Ron White
sfhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhess View Post
I thought you had to be a "contributing member" on the site (in other words, make a cash donation for upkeep etc) in order to post in "For Sale". Maybe that went away with the ownership change.
Of course it went away. More people visiting the site, more ad revenue.

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 18727
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 12 SEL 201a 3.5
intimidator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhess View Post
I also thought this same thing. Maybe this should be re-implemented.
97 Lincoln Continental 4.6 Intech (sold)
70 Yamaha Twin 250
02 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom Twin 800
00 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 6.8 v-10 Triton( K.I.A. )
12 Taurus SEL 3.5 Duratec FWD
06 Magnum R/T 5.7 Hemi AWD
intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 49335
Drives: 92 taurus Gl with 3.0
tylerdahl is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 i think the post limit should be set to 100 in order to sell your car on the site and pictures (more than one) should be manditory as well as their set price, and phone number to contact the buyer, and be limited to how long they stay up without any responses!~ JUST my opinion though.

yes it's a SHO, make an offer!

1992 Ford taurus GL/ the backup.
1993 Ford taurus SHO/ The Toy.
2003 Ford taurus SEL/ daily driver.
tylerdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Or, you could always make it so you need to have a minimum post count to be able to post in the For Sale Section.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
+1

Minimum post count is a good idea. I think a template is an even better idea ALONG with the minimum post count.

I know they wouldn't make it a donation required to post in it. A minimum post count of even 10 would probably work. If you notice someone posting a bunch of random crap then report them and a mod will ban them.

The other good suggestion I read above is making a template. If there was some template you could force upon them to use, then that would be great. Is there a way you can set a thread to have a mod approve posts before they are seen to the general public? You could make a thread on there that says "template", then when they post, you approve or disapprove depending on the template being used correctly. Thats a way you could get around the problem of autoguide and the ad revenue.

John, why don't you go ahead and create the template since you feel so strongly about it. I'll be happy to help you go over it. Post it in the test section for now and then I can move it to the for sale when complete and stick it. Named something like ~~READ BEFORE POSTING HERE~~

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec

Last edited by Sam; 11-14-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
^
+1

Minimum post count is a good idea. I think a template is an even better idea ALONG with the minimum post count.

I know they wouldn't make it a donation required to post in it. A minimum post count of even 10 would probably work. If you notice someone posting a bunch of random crap then report them and a mod will ban them.

The other good suggestion I read above is making a template. If there was some template you could force upon them to use, then that would be great. Is there a way you can set a thread to have a mod approve posts before they are seen to the general public? You could make a thread on there that says "template", then when they post, you approve or disapprove depending on the template being used correctly. Thats a way you could get around the problem of autoguide and the ad revenue.

John, why don't you go ahead and create the template since you feel so strongly about it. I'll be happy to help you go over it. Post it in the test section for now and then I can move it to the for sale when complete and stick it. Named something like ~~READ BEFORE POSTING HERE~~
How about this...

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/74-t...ml#post1717812

I would have liked the topic to be in caps but I can't. I guess that's left for admins/mods?

As for post count, I know with vB that there are options that you can restrict access to certian subsections by post count but that's something that an admin will have to do. Otherwise it would be up to a Mod to take care of enforcing the 10 post rule. I've thrown my hat in the ring to the admin, but haven't gotten very far.

Last edited by sousa632; 11-14-2012 at 10:46 PM.
sousa632 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement