Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

How do I disable 1997 Taurus AC clutch?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  chartmaker 
#1 ·
My air conditioner compressor is growling so I need to disable the clutch. Looking in the manual shows no fuse or relay for it. I've looked online and found info on various problems that can make it not work and what to do to fix that - the opposite of what I need to do.

I've also found that 1998 has an AC clutch fuse in the box under the hood. 1997 does not have that fuse. There is no fuse there, nor any contacts in the empty spot.

I have to disable the clutch so the car can be driven, and because the nearest shop to evacuate the system and replace the compressor is at least 25 miles away. While rotating the tires I had a look underneath and from above to see if I could find the wire connector on the compressor. Could not see where it plugs in.

If 1997 has a fuse or relay for the AC clutch, where is it, since its not shown to be in the fuse boxes under the dash or hood?

#4 ·
Not a helpful answer.

I had a look underneath and from above to see if I could find the wire connector on the compressor. Could not see where it plugs in.

Most cars have plug-ins yo ucan remove,but maybe your Taurus doesn't. :unsure:
SO....Then make your own connector. :)Where the wires enter the front of the compressor, you can interrupt the wire, either one is fine, and then the magnetic clutch will not engage. You can interrupt them anywhere, with just a female blade to male blade connection.Just don't let them touch a ground when you secure them. It's easy. If you ever want to reactivate your AC, just plug them together and tape over them. don-ohio

#5 · (Edited)
Not a considerate response to what was in fact a helpful and correct answer, your lack of ability to follow it not withstanding. The connector is right behind the pulley. Thinking of the front of the pulley as a clock face you should be able to find the connector, as countless others have before you, between 3-4:00 o'clock. Just a thought, perhaps in the future you could expend a bit more effort in addition to extending a touch more courtesy to someone that took the time to show you more than you apparently deserve.

This isn't facebook, manners matter here and a little courtesy goes a long way. Please consider that before posting a reply in the future.

#6 ·
What's not a considerate response is telling someone to do something to fix a problem which they already said they have tried *and it failed to work* or they cannot do.

That happens almost every time I ask a question on a technical forum. Some response will be a nearly verbatim quoting of everything I posted that I've already tried, thus not helpful at all. If you want to help, read every word of the OP, then if you have nothing different to suggest, or some variation or addition to what's already been tried, then there's no need to reply.

As for this problem with my Taurus, I found that unplugging the connector on the receiver/dryer stops the air conditioner from cycling the clutch.

#7 ·
Okay......you disable it one way,and I disable it the correct way. Let me tell you the difference. The way you disable it does not protect the compressor. ANYONE can think they see a problem and plug that baby back in, even a well-intentioned mechanic.
The way I said is less likely to be reconnected until YOU have made the repair,thereby saving your compressor or other components.
don-ohio

#8 ·
My air conditioner compressor is growling so I need to disable the clutch. Looking in the manual shows no fuse or relay for it. I've looked online and found info on various problems that can make it not work and what to do to fix that - the opposite of what I need to do.

I've also found that 1998 has an AC clutch fuse in the box under the hood. 1997 does not have that fuse. There is no fuse there, nor any contacts in the empty spot.

I have to disable the clutch so the car can be driven, and because the nearest shop to evacuate the system and replace the compressor is at least 25 miles away. While rotating the tires I had a look underneath and from above to see if I could find the wire connector on the compressor. Could not see where it plugs in.

If 1997 has a fuse or relay for the AC clutch, where is it, since its not shown to be in the fuse boxes under the dash or hood?
Of course it has a relay. Unplug if it is really the compressor. Most likely the clutch/pulley bearing and that takes a bit more mechanical stuff. Set your climate to "vent" and if it still makes noise, it is not the compressor. Just the clutch/pulley bearing.

-chart-

#10 ·
Chart, I may be mistaken but IIRC the relay in a '97 is by the battery not in the Power Distribution Box. If the plug on the compressor is too hard to find...
Wiring diagram would show where, also one could pull the 4 wire plug from the line on top of the A/C accumulator.

Highly likely the pulley bearings look like my pic. Had 2 G-4's fail like this.

-chart-

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.