Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2000 Taurus Sedan and front n rear springs

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  pontiacinf 
#1 ·
I have been driving my Taurus for about 2 years thinking I had a broken left rear coil spring. Well I took the car in yesterday and sure enough it snapped. Guy told me to replace the set it would right around $300. The phone rang 10 minutes later and guy tells me he will honor the price but it would have to be done another day as he quoted the price for the wrong car (have a 96 Lincoln town car also) so what he thought would take 2 1/2 hours will now take 5 and it would need to be done next week. Ok no problem.

Last night I did some poking to see exactly what he was saying, and found that there is indeed a lot of work to get those rears off (back seat removal etc) but I also found out that the springs on this model were known to be bad and the fronts were recalled in 2004. This has been in the family since new, dad put 28k on it and gave it to me, which it now stands at 80k.

Now question here is everything on the car is mainly original except the computer and the air condition compressor, both were replaced in the first year. The springs were never messed with and I am indeed in what Ford refers to as the "rust belt". The fronts are original and are not broken, but should I pull them for fear of it happening, or can I get my hands on Fords supposed fix which I believe is a just a piece of metal attached somewhere to block spring from puncturing the tire?

anyone have any horror stories, things they did, suggestions?:mellow:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I had a 1993 and two 2001 that under went the recall. The 1993 went over 12 years with the replacement springs. The one 2001 springs that were replaced failed ten years later. That same 2001 had the rear springs fail with only five years usage and replaced them with ford springs. I couldnt get rid of a strut clunk after that for two years. I put Quickstuts on the rears. I believe you are close to a failure on the springs. I guess you could hit the junkyards to find a set of the steel collars that go on the front. My 2001 just failed a front spring three months ago and I installed the Monroe Quickstruts. They are supposed to be designed so the springs don't fail. I did remove the ford collars and put them on the Quickstruts anyways. The springs fail with a sharp edge and the one on my 1993 which broke ended up about a half inch from puncturing the front tire. I took that one in for the recall.

#3 ·
I just had a front coil break last Sunday morning. Was going to make a run to town and had the car warmed up. When I started to back out I had a BANG!!! POP!!!! WOW I said.
Got out to find the spring had broke and sliced the inside of the tire's side-wall.
Ended up replacing shock and spring on each front side to be safe.
I got a set of Moog springs, new bearings and mount, and a set of Monroe shocks I could afford.
This event was not planned or in my current budget. I bought the parts, compressed the springs in my living room while listening to some good music and made my own quick struts ready to install back on the rig. I did the front for about $300 in parts and my free labor.
Took about and hour each side to pull the shocks and about an hour to put them back and torque to specs. Was able to change without pulling axle nut and axle. It can be a challenge in the rust belt.This Taurus was born in Atlanta and has some rust to work around.
PB Blaster was my friend, also a 18v small impact drill really help break things loose.
I was glad it happened in my yard and not when I was driving. Looking at the carnage scared me with the force the spring had when it broke.

#4 ·
Do the struts have the cup at the bottom like this one?

If you have that on, it's not a major issue because it keeps the spring from going through the tire. If you dont have it on there you might want to ask the Ford dealer to see if it's something they can honor being it's been a while for that recall.

#8 · (Edited)
I will have to take a look and will get back to you on that. I did happen to get the rear finally fixed today and I guess I lucked out due to his mistake on which car he quoted-Not only was the left rear spring broke, but the strut collapsed and the sway bar link broke- so breakdown on parts pair of heavy duty rear struts $175 set of springs $171 sway link $23 shop supplies $10 so parts $380 and labor $189 (5-6 hours actual job) so total $603.21 (note I rounded off list prices)

By having this done it has solved problems I thought were emanating from the front end, which is a plus.

next problems front struts, coolant flush and a pair of tires-oh and I have no clue if I am supposed to do anything with the tranny?:rolleyes2:

also I need to know what I am looking for in regards to the front end, Id like to replace whats been done on the rear, does that come in kits, and if so whats the general price range?

I appreciate all help given, I am suprised because most forums ignore you. I have not found that problem here :)

#7 ·
I never could understand the recall and Ford. My 1993 was recalled and I had the work done. Then you would figure they would have fixed the reason for recall ,but then my 2001 was recalled. That gave them eight years to correct the problem. I am not sure there won't be a recall on my 2006 taurus. I guess it was cheaper to do the recall than fix the problem. Don't know, but they replaced the springs also, not just installing the protective cups. They also replaced both stablizer bar links.

#11 ·
my next projects will be the front I guess what you call quick struts and I would also like to replace the rotors and pads after reading about warped rotors due to air tools etc, it seems to be the only thing I feel now which is just a slight disruption when braking-I have a friend who can do struts and the rest I could do myself but seeing as he has to put his end back together ....:lol2:

#13 ·
I find if you are planning projects that Advance Auto Parts is a place to consider. I signed up for emails and they send notices for % off sales. Every holiday they usually give 20% off everything and recently they have 15-20% off a fifty dollar order and they a coupon for 25 dollars off the next $50 dollar order. They also do that on $100 orders. Always check prices but you can't beat that 50% off deal. I have a set a struts , waterpump, trans mount, timing gaskets, two front strut links, eight motorcraft oil filters and belt tensioner in my cabinet from these deals. I have three taurus that use the same parts. I found MOOG ball joints cheapest on ebay. I was lucky to picked up two for less that $20 each with shipping. Normally $42 each. I got two of those in my cabinet and a MOOG outer tie rod end for $17. It's great having all the same cars.

#15 ·
Im with Sheila that is a great deal you have going there.

I have to admit the car drives a whole deal better now, and funny but next 5 days are forcast as below 0 first time this year and that many days has me nervous cause that is what it was like when the rear broke and all I did was just get in the car my own weight snapped it and im only 170. I hear people say they hate their car but geesh I really love mine. Thats her name-Loved.:rolleyes2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.