Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Front wheel hubs

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  DLC360 
#1 ·
Yesterday I did replace both front wheel hubs. At 186k they looked like they where originals. Pain in the arse but the growling noises are gone.

My question: How much is usually the labor on those, to know if it was worth it?

#3 ·
I did it. My back still hurts. Knuckles have scrapes and my right palm has a bruise in shape of CV axle splines :)
I am getting too old for driveway fixes I guess.

#6 ·
OHHHHH PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE........ :rolleyes2:

Your NEVER to old to save some $$$ and have the pleasure of doing the work yourself. :p

Just figure that most shops are going to tell you its 3-4 hours per side and shops around here charge anywhere from $60 to $100 per hour depending on where you go. My guess, it was well worth you doing it yourself.

#7 ·
I have a rear wheel bearing/hub to replace. Easy job, but I have neither a 36mm socket ($20) or a torque wrench that goes up to 200 ft lbs. ($100 minimum). So I'm just going to have it put in. You can justify putting in this stuff yourself all day if you want to.

#8 · (Edited)
I have rented the tools from Advance Auto parts for free. I have bought 1/2" and a 3/8" torque wrenches from Harbor Freight for $12 a piece with coupon. The 1/2" is marked to 150lbs, but you can still turn the dial to 170-180lbs (reading the markings on rotary side).

Now, if the labor was only $80 that mean they had only one hour per side, that's not that bad... I doubt that was a licensed shop thou, too cheap IMO. Still, that means, for me, that I have to work at least 2 hours to make that money at my job (after taxes).

It took me a couple hours a side (if I deduct different pauses). I was curious to see a real-world rate.

#9 ·
I have rented the tools from Advance Auto parts for free. I have bought 1/2" and a 3/8" torque wrenches from Harbor Freight for $12 a piece with coupon. The 1/2" is marked to 150lbs, but you can still turn the dial to 170-180lbs (reading the markings on rotary side).

Now, if the labor was only $80 that mean they had only one hour per side, that's not that bad... I doubt that was a licensed shop thou, too cheap IMO. Still, that means, for me, that I have to work at least 2 hours to make that money at my job (after taxes).

It took me a couple hours a side (if I deduct different pauses). I was curious to see a real-world rate.
Yes...it is a licensed shop. The guy has been in business for 40 years.

#15 ·
Shops makea large cut of their money on parts. They charge full retail and get them for about 40% off, nothing wrong with that, its part of running a business. They also have to make money on their hourly rate since most are not "book rate" shops anymore. Yes, your bigger dealerships are, but smaller shops usually are an hourly pay scale. They have to pay everything from facilty to wages from that $90/hr they charge.

Myself, I would rather do the work myself and have a greater sence of pride in my car and knowing that I didnt skimp on the repairs. About 90% or car maint & repairs can be done easily at home. As far as tools, you can never have to many, if you need it, buy it, then you have it for future use. If you dont want to do that, rent it from the part stores & let them store them.

As far as shops installing customer parts, thats touchy. Alot of people want to have a shop install used or super cheap parts. Then they complain about the shop when the part fails and wont do free repairs. With Lil Red (1987 Porsche 924s) I have found 2 local shops for future repairs.

Shop 1 - Has a 2 price labor system. Pay by check, credit/debit card you pay standard labor. Pay CASH, its about 1/2 to 2/3 of the standard rate. He will install any part, but will not stand behind those parts, only his labor.

SHOP 2 - A standard repair shop with standard rates, all the techs are factory certified and very up to dateon European cars. He will let you supply your own part, the same quality as his or better & no used unless its no longer available through retail. Again, he wont stand behind your parts, but only his work if you supply parts. If you buy his parts, no worries at all.

I would much rather do my own work. Its not that hard if you take your time and its rewarding in more than the just the cash saved. You respect your car more and in turn you take better care of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.