Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1996 taurus ohv has 215/65/r15 tires and the max psi is 35 what psi would you pump

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  it'sthatcar 
#1 · (Edited)
pump the tires too at front and back

The 35 max psi is on the sidewall of the tires

#6 ·
what am saying is that on the sidewall on my tires it says 35 PSI MAX so basically what am asking is that since the MAX pressure you can pump them to 35 PSI whats a safe PSI to pump too ok so is it safe to pump to Cold 35 PSI even though the PSI limit is 35 MAX on the tires?

shelia my tires are 215s not the stock 205s

#10 ·
My car says to run 31 psi all around, so that's what I do. Careful with running constant pressures higher than what the manufacturer recommends, as could end up with the tire center treads wearing sooner than the sides. For slow leaks, you can usually go quite a bit higher than max pressure to get you home, but wouldn't make a habbit of it.

#14 · (Edited)
I haven't had my Taurus long enough to really get a handle on best pressure. I know the door says 30 psi, but Discount Tire set my new snow tires at 35 psi, and that seems ok. I have been trying out 38 psi for the past week (max inflation is 44 psi for my tires), and think I'll go back to 35 psi or less, as I have noticed quite a bit harder ride than the all season tires on it before. And good snow tires tend to decrease MPG anyway, along with cold weather and ethanol, so it's a losing battle to begin with. Might as well have a nice ride.

My last car said (if memory serves) 32 psi for under 130 MPH or 36 psi for over, don't think that will be an issue with the Taurus, though. :) I always ran it at 36 psi and never had wear problems.

I agree that 35psi max inflation is quite low for any tire, but I've never shopped at Pep Boys. Hope they were cheap.

#15 ·
I haven't had my Taurus long enough to really get a handle on best pressure. I know the door says 30 psi, but Discount Tire set my new snow tires at 35 psi, and that seems ok. I have been trying out 38 psi for the past week (max inflation is 44 psi for my tires), and think I'll go back to 35 psi or less, as I have noticed quite a bit harder ride than the all season tires on it before. And good snow tires tend to decrease MPG anyway, along with cold weather and methanol, so it's a losing battle to begin with. Might as well have a nice ride.
If you want better traction, you actually want to lower the tire pressure because it will increase the area of the tire's footprint. Because of this some people deflate their snow tires a few PSI below the recommended pressures. You're correct in that you're not going to get as good of fuel economy with winter tires. At 35-40 psi you will have compromised traction (which is the point of snow tires, right?) and excessive center tread wear. I would stick to 28-32 psi.

P.S. In winter they use more ethanol not methanol.

#16 ·
Oops, right you are, ethanol not methanol, sorry! Not sure I know the difference... :lol2:

Definitely going to set my tires back down to 30 psi or so. You're right, the whole point of snow tires is better traction. Unfortunately we don't see a lot of snow around here, but when we do, there's usually no equipment available to remove it. So they're sort of a necessity unless you want to just stay home for a few days whenever it snows. Would rather use my vacation days other times of the year, so.... B)

#17 ·
"behlinla's" got it right on the air pressure traction thing, as also run a set of Blizzaks in the winter. This set up came from the Tire Rack with 35 psi in them, but at 30 psi now. Haven't gotten much snow here in the Detroit area here lately either, but when we do, it's stay home time on my street without the Blizzaks. Also on newer cars with tire pressure systems, you get a dash warning light, if pressure is to low or high.

#23 ·
Also on newer cars with tire pressure systems, you get a dash warning light, if pressure is to low or high.
You can buy the scan tool for the tpms, and set the desired pressure you want at the wheels. You in/deflate your tires to desired pressure,set the car into learn mode,scan each wheel to set the tpms sensors and viola...you're done. I do this when I change from my summer wheel and tire setup to my winter wheel and tire setup.No light yet.

#19 ·
After setting my snow tires to 30 psi, I've noticed a HUGE improvement in handling. It's like a totally different car. I've played around with tire pressures for years on all my cars and never seen this big a difference. But I've never had this particular car or tire. :)

#20 ·
So what's the verdict on tire pressure then? My gas cap says to inflate to 30, but my all season tires have a max psi of 51... My psi was at 32 tonight before I filled up, and after I filled the tires (~45 psi) the ride was a lot nicer and turning was easier. What do I follow?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
You should always follow the sticker on the car for the correct pressures since they are calculated for each individual vehicle. The pressure on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure you should ever inflate the tires to, but it is not tailored to your individual car. 45 psi is 15 psi over the recommendation, which is more than I would inflate the tires. Yes, you will have crisper steering, but you will be wearing out the center of your tires and you will have less traction. I always stay ±4 psi of the sticker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.