Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2000 Ford Taurus Flex Fuel smoking when the heat is turned on

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  rickpark 
#1 ·
I need some help.... i just recently got my car fixed. the fuel pump went up and so did the water pump. I got it back about two weeks ago and this morning when i was on my way to work i decided to turn on my defrost w/ the feet heated. well i started to notice that my car was smoking by the passengers side, so i turned it off. When i pulled up to work and turned my car off completely it started smoking again. Does this mean my water pump is bad. The coolant is not leaking and the car is not over heating. Please help.... any advise is appreciated.

#3 ·
Are you sure coolant isn't leaking? Check the level on the degauss tank. Any water on the floor on the front passengers side? Pull up the mat and check if it is wet. Burning rubber smell means oil leak I'm pretty sure.

#4 ·
yes it did smell a little like rubber burning..... no puddles or anything under the car....i was wondering if it might have been because i didn't let the car warm up this morning it was 30 degrees when i left for work..... but that shouldn't have anything to do with it right? Also checked the floor mats not wet or anything like that

#5 ·
You don't need to let it warm up. Check your oil level. My car has an oil leak and it smells like burning rubber - no puddles. Not sure what tec-satx is up to with the question.

#11 ·
Possible AC clutch bearing failure or compressor locking up / locked up, both of which severe cause belt slip = rubber burning smell. My guess since it seemed to happen with defrost setting which runs the AC compressor.
^^That's what i was thinking.

#7 ·
Possible AC clutch bearing failure or compressor locking up / locked up, both of which severe cause belt slip = rubber burning smell. My guess since it seemed to happen with defrost setting which runs the AC compressor.

#8 ·
You would hear the belt squeal though, right?

#9 ·
Not always, Sam

#12 ·
Coolant leak?

You said it was 30 degrees might the smoking be from a leak in the heater hose? I had a problem like this with another vehicle and pin hole in water hose was culprit. I only noticed the leak on cold days, when I turned defrost or heater on. Water shot engine creating steam.

It might be the belt burning mentioned but you can check that by simply running the AC and seeing if you have the same problem not on defrost. If defrost only smoking on cold days when you run heater or defrost(heater/AC blend) then it's possibly a coolant leak. With recent water pump work I would look for leak in heater hoses.

Hose is cheaper too!

Good luck!

#15 · (Edited)
I just recently fixed a oil pan gasket on my 98 tec. It's been leaking since we got it in 07 and it started leaking ontop of the cat. I thought it was a belt or coolant (sweet + burning rubber) and left it alone for months. Defrost uses the outside vent over the cat, so during the winter months, I drove with the windows open.

This is what it looked like:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19844487/2012-12-09 17.02.34.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19844487/2012-12-09 16.22.49.jpg

Since the pan gasket replace, the Leak + Smell is gone..

I coulda swore the degass bottle was leaking, But taking a look around the cat quickly extinguished that theory.

Edit: When my parents owned the car, A mechanic swore up and down it was the front seal leaking(why the gasket went this long); It was obviously the gasket, because the EPA violation in my driveway no longer exists..
Although if there is visible smoke and only appears when the heat is on; That might be a different story..

#16 ·
OK so update.... I got the coolant over flow tank replaced yesterday and now there is still a leak somewhere...looks like its coming from under the engine somewhere leaking on an exhaust pipe maybe? IDK the car started smoking really bad when i got to a red light this morning. The car was running fine yesterday after it was replaced only a little burn off smoke at that time but there is definitely somethig else leaking under the car. Im ready to just blow this stupid car up all the money its costing me to repair this thing.

#18 ·
OK so update.... I got the coolant over flow tank replaced yesterday and now there is still a leak somewhere...looks like its coming from under the engine somewhere leaking on an exhaust pipe maybe? IDK the car started smoking really bad when i got to a red light this morning. The car was running fine yesterday after it was replaced only a little burn off smoke at that time but there is definitely something else leaking under the car. Im ready to just blow this stupid car up all the money its costing me to repair this thing.
Check your fluids lately? if its smoking that bad, you would see significant loss in oil or coolant.

Do you have access to a jack + jackstands? or a ramp? Those would help determining the leak. Are there new wet spots(without a/c running) or oil spots on your driveway?

#19 ·
Timing cover, water pump, heater core hoses / bypass hose assembly are common leak points that can drip on the exhaust. Timing cover leaks basically are due to lack of timely coolant changes (owner or previous owner neglect).

#20 ·
Smoking vs steaming are two different conditions.

In cold weather, coolant boil-off may resemble smoke but the smell should indicate whether it is smoke (rubber, oily smell) or coolant (unusual sweet smell).

If you're not sure, a local shop can check it out for you - I have in the past taken advantage of my local Ford dealer's offer of an oil change and inspection coupon. They will list issues that you can then ask for quotes to repair, take it elsewhere or DIY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.