Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2013 Wind Noise

12K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  JimDonnaHallClinton 
#1 ·
First I want to say that I love my 2013 Limited! My only issue has been a reoccurring wind noise. I do a lot of highway mileage and constantly have to turn up music to drown it out.

So I wanted to start a thread to catalog the progression of attempted repairs, up until final resolution.

I purchased the car 1 month ago, immediately noticed a wind noise above 60mph on open road. (Whistling sound)

Tried taping off joints on drivers side
Tried pulling in driver side view mirror

Neither produced any change

So far Dealership has acknowledged the noise and has tried

- Reseal on driver side
- Complete removal and reset of windshield

At this point they have had it for 3 days tomorrow. And are continuing diagnosing. More to follow

See less See more
#5 ·
The wind noise really surprises me, I haven't noticed it at all in my 2010. Now our 99 Sable and our 98 Taurus Wagon had a lot more wind noise, but I thought most of that was mileage and wear. Anyway, good luck with finding the cause and getting it fixed, please keep us updated.

#16 ·
I tried to tell my Service Advisor about the same issue and he claims not to know anything about it. I will bring it up again.
Default answer from anybody working for a car company "I've never heard of that problem before".... :rolleyes2:

#8 ·
It was coming from the Front windshield, on the drivers side.

Service advisor told me they needed to reseat the winshield, they also had to adjust some of the covers or cowls related to that process.

I went in with specific instructions on how to reproduce the windshield.

60-65+ MPH , not behind another vehicle(open road), not raining

I'll see if i can find the paperwork and see if they listed parts or adjustments

#9 ·
i took my 2013 to the dealer for the wind noise. they had it 6 days and completely removed and resealed the windshield. it did not fix it. it is back at the dealership now. i had the service manager ride with me. i got him behind the wheel and driving into the wind. he heard it very clearly. they have had it 5 days now, and i just got a call from them saying they "drove several other similar cars with the same noise". they said they are contacting ford engineering and will keep me updated.

if you can find specifics as to the covers and cowls, and what they did to it to fix it i can pass that info on to them.

#11 ·
High pitched wind noise - 55+MPH

I see some of you are experiencing the same thing as myself :(....

Does anyone have a solution?

I have been without my car for 2/12 weeks total, over 300 miles have been put on the car by the dealership while trying to fix the problem and has cost me two tanks of gas out of my own pocket..

The last attempted repair was removal and re-seal of the windshield, this however did not fix it.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

#12 ·
I see some of you are experiencing the same thing as myself :(....

Does anyone have a solution?

I have been without my car for 2/12 weeks total, over 300 miles have been put on the car by the dealership while trying to fix the problem and has cost me two tanks of gas out of my own pocket..

The last attempted repair was removal and re-seal of the windshield, this however did not fix it.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached is the Invoice from when they repaired mine. I've been noise free for close to 4 months now.

Attachments

#17 ·
Wow they drove it a whopping 89 miles to figure the noise out! Holy cow!!

#18 ·
I have a 2010 Taurus SEL and I had some noises up front which I have been trying to eliminate for a couple months now. I unfortunately took it to the dealer thinking the Royalshield warranty would cover it but it didn't. They removed the defrost vent and put a couple small pieces of foam strip to cushion the defrost vent trim piece. While doing that and driving down the interstate, I heard the same noise only to find out after getting home they didn't completely seat the trim piece. I also still heard something which sounds like a bug fluttering it's wings. I removed the trim piece and left it off and it took care of some of the noise of course but I still heard the fluttering. So i removed the plastic cowl piece that sits at the bottom of the windshield and noticed a piece of black tape which was dangling. I figured that was it but I still hear something and it seems to me it is caused by this cowl and it doesn't sit real tight in the rubber? grooved piece at the bottom of the windshield. This seems to cause the rubber part of the cowl which sits on top of the bottom of the windshield to flutter as air passes across and creates turbulence. It actually doesn't fit tight against the windshield. Is there a way to help with this condition? Sorry for the long post but I wanted to post as much to get the answer I'm looking for and describe the situation so anyone else might benefit. BTW, dealer charged me over $200 including retrieving/setting the keypad code. I found out later from a forum that it is on a box under the driver's dash. The dealer didn't know it was there.

#20 ·
my windshield didnt have noise in my 2010 but i just had to get it replaced and now there is a noticeable noise at about 65+. I didnt get it replaced at the dealership but i got it replaced at the place the dealership goes through. I have taken it back to them twice, the first time they resealed a gap in the top and the second time they went on a test drive by themselves and swore the only noise they heard was from the rain gaurds on the doors. I know what noise they are talking about and that is not what im hearing. they warranty their work, so when im not so frustrated with them and have time to cool down im going to go back there and go with them on the test drive so they know the noise im talking about. since i paid $300 for the replacement they WILL be giving me my money back for all of the hassle this is causing me

#21 ·
We have the same problem with our 2012 Taurus after we had the windshield replaced. One glass shop reported that Ford puts a groove in the bottom of the windshield for the the cowl to sit in. Not all replacement windshields have this groove. Right now we are fighting the insurance company to replace the windshield again with one with the groove. Duct taping the cowl down did eliminate the noise but it looks awful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.