Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Eastern cats

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Sam 
#1 ·
Good day, Im thinking of replacing the Y-pipe with a aftermarket version,anyone have good or bad comments about Eastern Catalytic ? The price is right thats for sure, any help would be appreciated

#3 ·
Their quality is the best in the industry right now. Its one of the few that actually fits right, and uses the correct y-design for optimum flow.

Just so you know, unless something is wrong with your stock one, and aftermarket one won't gain you anything.
Today I put a gallon of lacquer thinner with a 1/2 full tank, ran at 2500 rpm fpr 30 min. cleared the 0420 code and it seems to run better, you can tell its breathing better, just have to wait and see

#4 ·
P0420 code for me was fixed by replacing the upstream O2 sensor associated with that cat (radiator side if I remember right). Monitoring the efficiency of cats is done via O2 sensors.

#9 ·
^
I agree... INSANE. I decided to put a video of his in the misfire thread I made though hahaha.

#10 ·
I watched that video about lacquer thinner to clean the catalytic converters from Scotty and I was tempted to try it as he seems like a favorable and crazy but knowledgeable mechanic. I wanted to do some research first on how it was supposed to work but I couldn't find anything, the only thing I found was people saying that the lacquer thinner would and should be burned out before it ever reaches the converter which makes perfect sense to me, so if it were to work then it would have to be some type of gas (from the thinner) that combats carbon build up. That may be true but I couldn't find enough information about it to dare try it.

Also I read the comments from one his you tube videos and a person tells him a common symptom about his car and Scotty comes back and tells him to replace something without doing any tests or diagnoses first, another guy comes on and confronts him explaining that he shouldn't just throw money into the car and letting Scotty know. He never said anything after that

I'm sure he is a good mechanic but I'm gonna steer clear of his videos from now on, lol.. I really like "realfixesrealfast" on youtube.. They are very knowledgeable and have a good amount of videos, the only gripe is that they use the Snap-On Verus Scanner for all their diagnosing and not many people can afford it (me included), but he usually explains how you would do it without the scanner or you could just use google.

#13 ·
I watched that video about lacquer thinner to clean the catalytic converters from Scotty and I was tempted to try it as he seems like a favorable and crazy but knowledgeable mechanic. I wanted to do some research first on how it was supposed to work but I couldn't find anything, the only thing I found was people saying that the lacquer thinner would and should be burned out before it ever reaches the converter which makes perfect sense to me, so if it were to work then it would have to be some type of gas (from the thinner) that combats carbon build up. That may be true but I couldn't find enough information about it to dare try it.
Lacquer thinner is typically comprised of solvents such as toluene and xylene. Coincidentally, these components have very high octane values (111 and 117 respectively). Now octane isn't exactly how fast something burns, but in this case these solvents will not completely combust in the normal timeframe of gasoline combustion/spark advance. The result is you are passing a lot of unburned hydrocarbons into the exhaust. The still-burning hydrocarbons heat up the exhaust and the catalytic convertors. In addition, any catalytic activity left in the convertors will be used to break down the remaining hydrocarbons, which also releases heat. This treatment will make the convertors very hot (glowing cherry red in some cases). The idea is the extreme heat will burn off any remaining soot or contaminants that are coating the convertor's surface, which will re-expose the precious metals and increase overall catalytic efficiency. It does work in some cases where the convertor is still perfectly intact but just dirty.

The downside to this treatment is in some cases it will actually get the catalyst material so hot that it will start to break up and melt, which might clog up the exhaust even more. I guess the idea is if this happens you would have needed a new catalytic convertor anyway, so you're not sustaining a net loss. However, if you had downstream cats that were fine before the lacquer treatment that ended up melted or fractured because the upstream cats completely disintegrated, then you would be worse off. Also if you clog up the exhaust too much in the process, you might end up burning a valve or cracking a head from the heat and pressure buildup.

In your case wyteboy314, I think you said the cats were dented/damaged, so you would not be a good candidate for this treatment.

Regardless, I think there is a large lack of information on this procedure and I wish Scotty would explain when you should do this and when you shouldn't (if he even knows as much as I've explained). Personally I would just fill it up with the highest octane (unleaded!) gas I could find, and just give the thing a good thrashing (AKA the Italian tuneup). A few laps around a track should get the exhaust nice and hot without exposing anything to harsh solvents.

#11 ·
Oh what I would give to have a snap-on versus! Those things are AMAZING!

Eric the car guy has some great videos as well. 1Aauto has some good repair videos too.

Since you have access to alldata, that has some of the best info you could ever use! Of course seeing what you are doing preformed is best.

I see you really do live in STL :) Charter IP address (me too lol).

#12 ·
Yep, chilling over here in Hazelwood..

I rather have the Panasonic Toughbook and\or Hanatech than the Verus.. That thing is ridiculously overpriced because of the name and it probably costs A WHOLE bunch of money to update. Don't get me wrong though, if I had money to blow from the lottery or something I would get it, lol.

I have EricTheCarGuy bookmarked as well although I haven't watched any of his videos yet, he is affiliated with realfixesrealfast as well. And AllData is the best

#15 ·
Where can you still buy leaded gas anyways??? You can find 95 octane some places. Throw a thing of octane booster in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.