Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Taillight Tinting

8K views 69 replies 18 participants last post by  QuinnSHO 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I was thinking about tinting my taillights black, but I wasn't 100% sure on how to do it correctly so it looks good and doesn't get messed up. I heard before that you can buy a stick-on tint that you can just put on your lights. I have also heard that you can spray the inside of the taillight with spray paint and then let them sit in an over at 100oF for like 20 minutes. I have also heard that you can spray this Rust-Oleum tint on then cover with a clear coat. Here is a link to the Rust-Oleum tint in a can: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=416 If anyone knows a good way to tint taillights please comment. Thanks everyone

#41 ·
Dark tinted lenses are pretty much played out already. Kinda like HID headlight conversions... In my opinion, dark tinted tails aren't worth the extra reason to get pulled over. xmattstraff's are about as dark as I'd really like to see. Gotta be shiny or it just looks like you got overspray on them and forgot about it.
As I understand, in CA, any tint on the taillights or headlights is illegal and can get you a ticket. CAN, not WILL. I know people who've been running around with tinted tails for years and never get bothered, but others get a fix-it ticket. Kinda like tinting the front doors, you're taking a risk. If you look at some cars that have stock tinted looking tails, that's probably a good reference point for how dark to go without being bothered. Those old 90's vw gti had them, my 03 nissan frontier has the reverse and turn signals tinted, but not the brake lights, etc...

#45 · (Edited)
I can't really disagree with you on this, I tinted the tails because I liked the contrast it added to the rear of the vehicle without going overboard, as far as the highlights I put tint on them more to protect the lens then for the tint, so I used the lowest percentage (6%) available. It was a real toss up as to go with a tint or a clear film for the headlights, and to be honest with the 6% no one has noticed that the headlamps are tinted. Again, this was more for protection then looks, but I do like the look of having the headlamps just a tad darker then stock.

#46 ·
^^ i think that looks awesome! I love the newer SHOs. Thats exactly what id do if i had one. I really like that the headlights are slightly darker than stock. gives it a different look. :D nice work

#48 ·
Finally got them done....so attached are some pictures of what it looked like when it was stock, then with the outside lights tinted and then the plastics around the inside lights because it looked goofy with a light gray on the inside and blacked out on the outside. Tell me what you think

Attachments

#50 ·
The light output is about the same without the tint, if you look at 3 picture for the top, the brightness is from the lights themselves. It doesn't make a huge difference at night either. I'll post some pics tonight of it

#63 ·
I really like the look, it looks much nicer then the stock look, and light output doesn't seem to be affected at all! Very nice!

#56 ·
I love my Sylvania SilverStars. I just use the ones in the dark blue packaging, not the ultras. I get excellent light output side view and distance wise. People flash me quite a bit since they are very bright. Saved me from a few collisions with animals at night.

Auto part stores have them... even Walmart, BUT get them on eBay. I bought mine on eBay for $21 with free shipping. They are going for double that in retail.

Oh and make sure there is no haze on your headlight housings.

#60 ·
Just the basic in the blue package are good enough for me. People say they don't last long, but I have had mine over a year now and they are still great. I don't have DRLs though. But these produce a great bright white light.

But yes, they are plug and play.

The best Silverstars are the ZXEs which are compared to an HID. The Ultra is the middle of the road, and the plain Silverstars are the entry level Silverstar. Below those are Xtravisions which are not that great as far as I am concerned as those are yellowish like the stock standard bulb.

#70 ·
Sand down with 2000 grit just to get the texture off, and then you're gonna take your compound and just gonna "start rubbing it like a lonely Friday night!" "all the pressure!" *from a Youtube how to NITESHADE tail lights, part 2 of 2.*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.