Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

My car dies when its put in gear cold

12K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jmosley77@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 Ford Taurus 3.0 EFI and I am having some problems with it. It starts right up and idles great. When you drop it in gear it dies. It starts right back up and idles fine again until u drop it in gear then it dies again. Once it idles for about 5 minutes you can put it in gear and drive away. If you stop the idle is unsteady but it doesnt die. After you drive it for about 5 minutes it runs like a brand new car. If you let it idle for the full 10 minutes the idle is steady in gear. I have replaced the idle air control valve, the Mass air flow sensor, the throttle sensor, the neutral safety switch and all of the filters. I dont have any check engine lights on either. I cannot figure out what is wrong with the car. My wife is afraid to drive it so i need to get this fixed so I dont have to keep taking her to work.
Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to TCCA.

Without a clue from a CEL/SES to help out, we'll have to go on the clues you've provided. Seeing as how the IAC is responsible for maintaining idle speed, put it on your suspect list.

Maybe consider removing & cleaning it with a plastic safe spray cleaner & see if that helps. Cleaning may not last, it didn't for me on my 99 Ranger, but was a good trouble shooting step. Let us know how it goes.

#4 ·
^+1

Woooops, I somehow missed that you'd already replaced the IAC, so I agree with inspecting the IAC electrical connection pins/sockets & wiring.

#5 · (Edited)
I have checked the connectors and they look clean and none of the pins are bent or anything. What is the best (and easiest) way to check for an air leak. I actually had a check engine light come on last night and it said a possible air flow leak or a misfire in cylinder 1. I recently replaced the plugs and wires and it ran fine for 6 weeks before the problem started so i don't think the 2 are related.

#6 ·
Post the trouble code Number/s you pulled, as they often can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

A good intake leak suspect thats often overlooked is an acting out sticking open PCV valve, or dryrotted hose to it, or loose fitting grommet or fitting in the valve cover into/onto which the PCV valve fits.

#7 ·
I've come to live with live with the exact same issue. Mine has been doing the exact same thing for the last 10 years. It's something IMO in the PCM. Ford has looked at it years ago when my parents used to own my taurus. I brought it back to them after I bought it to double check for an issue. Nothing found and PCM was up to date. It hasn't been too bad the last couple years, but did it once last year.

#8 ·
so just an update. the check engine code i got was because my gas cap wasnt on right and once i put it back on correctly my check engine light went away and hasnt came back on. can anyone tell me what the plug is on my transmission that is right beside the neutral safety switch? i unhooked it and it had transmission fluid in it. With it unplugged my car went in gear fine without dying but it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Any help is appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.