Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Tach problem on 90 Sho

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  rockin86ranger 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 90 sho that had been in a barn for years, the tach sits at the bottom so when it starts up it hits the peg on the left side trying to come up. can i take the needle off and place it back where it belongs? i am worried it might throw it off. I really dont need a tach, this is the first stick ive owned that had one but now that i have one i would like it to work.

Also what all taillights will work on a 90 sho, i need the cheapest i can find.

and on another note what transmissions will work on a 95 taurus with a 3.8l. i know where i could get one out of a 98 windstar but its a 3.0l and obdII. but the trans is going out on my d.d so whatever i can get to work for cheap would be great. I'll probably just rebuild it in the end if i cant find one cheap but i dont want my car to be down that long, even though i'll still have the sho.

#2 ·
Any 86 to 91 Taurus sedan tail lights will fit a 90 SHO. But remember that the 86-88 models had a yellow turn signal on GL, LX and MT5 models. 89-91 all had a single brake/turn signal.

So the needle is under the peg and hits the peg when being turned on? Should be able to remove the instrument face, pop the peg out, move the needle above zero, and let the needle rest back on the peg on reinstall. Shouldn't need to remove the needle.

You need to check what the transmission code is on your door jamb. Should be listed under "TR" on the VIN label.

#3 ·
i'll try to get that tommorow, i also realized a friend has a 2nd gen taurus for parts but im pretty sure its a 3.0l so still not sure it will work.

also is the sho alternator specific to the sho or can i get one off something else? 3.8l alternators pop up frequently when i search.

#6 ·
Quick question and didnt figure i needed to make another thread for it

What battery trays will work for a 90 SHO, is it just a normal taurus one thats been moved to the other side, or is it sho specific. I dont have a battery tray and i cant run it without, and there are no sho's in my area for parts.

There is a 1st gen wagon 3.0l, 2nd gen 3.0l taurus, and 98 windstar 3.0l but thats about it. if i cant use one of those ill just have to fabricate one out some metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.