Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Motor in driver's side seat is dead - is there *ANY* way to move it forward?

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bigdogg2830 
#1 ·
Basically, I'm trying to remove my center console. The thing is held to the floor by two bolts on each side, normally hidden by the seat positioning.

My passenger seat is not power, so I was able to move it around well enough to get to the two bolts on that side. The driver's side, however...

Upon seeing that, with my tools anyways, there was no way I could reach the two driver's side console bolts without moving the driver's seat, I decided to just temporarily remove the seat.

I got the floor covers off of the front two bolts for the seat and removed them easily enough, but because the seat is all the way back I can't reach the two bolts holding down the rear of the seat. Again - not with my current tools, anyways.

Is there any way I can manually move the seat forward?

That said, I find it odd the vertical adjustments for the seat work fine...

Much thanks again people. :)

#2 ·
Power Seat

Basically, I'm trying to remove my center console. The thing is held to the floor by two bolts on each side, normally hidden by the seat positioning.

My passenger seat is not power, so I was able to move it around well enough to get to the two bolts on that side. The driver's side, however...

Upon seeing that, with my tools anyways, there was no way I could reach the two driver's side console bolts without moving the driver's seat, I decided to just temporarily remove the seat.

I got the floor covers off of the front two bolts for the seat and removed them easily enough, but because the seat is all the way back I can't reach the two bolts holding down the rear of the seat. Again - not with my current tools, anyways.

Is there any way I can manually move the seat forward?

That said, I find it odd the vertical adjustments for the seat work fine...

Much thanks again people. :)
My Lincoln seat went all the way back and would not move. Under warrenty. Shop said they had to remove seat as they could not reach the connector to hot wire the motor. They were able to remove the seat with it all the way back. I think they raised the rear all the way up.

Failure was the relay which was under the seat on that one. They said, if they could get it forward, they could replace the relay with the seat in the car. Catch 22.

-chart-

#3 ·
Have you tried sitting in the seat with the travel switch pushed forward and manually tried to hunch seat forward? Or, again with the switch pressed forward, you or a friend push from the footwell directly behind the seat. Put a shoulder and forearm into it like a football blocking drill, lol!

#4 ·
Well, when I push the switch forward or backward I just get a continuous mechanical clicking sound. Last night I did try with some level of force to move the seat while on the switch, but not that much.

I'll try to sit in the back myself and, hand on the switch, trying forcing the seat forward.

I wouldn't mind actually fixing the seat motor itself while I'm at this. Too bad I don't know what the exact problem is...

#5 ·
Get some solid non metal object and wack the motor while pushing the button and assisting the seat to move in the direction you wish (ie pulling on the steering wheel and digging heels into carpet; or pushing away from wheel).

I helped rejuvinate an Infiniti's I30 power seat motor doing that. Same principle as slamming the door while holding power up/down button on a window in a Taurus to get it to 'unstick' from it's stuck position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.