Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Camshaft Synchronizer "step-on" Or "non Step-on" Plug

31K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  kestas 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Taurus with a Flex Fuel engine and I need to replace the Camshaft Synchronizer and sensor.

Question 1 - When I go to NAPA's web site it has two options for the synchronizer, "Step-On" or "Non Step-on" Plug. How do I determine which one I have.

Question 2 - Regarding having the oil pump fail from Synchronizer failure - Does the check oil light come on when that happens?

Thanks, I've tried several searches and can't find the answer to question 1.

#2 ·
I don't think you'll ever find the answer to the first question. I've never heard of a "step-on" plug before. That must be some weird NAPA thing. I'd just call the nearest NAPA to you and ask them to look up the part - there might just be an error on the website.

As for the second question, the oil light should come on if the oil pressure is low. Some cars also have a light for low oil level. If the synchronizer fails and stops turning the oil pump, then the red oil indicator on the dash should come on. But some advice to you is not to let it get that bad. If it's making noise, replace it. I wouldn't wanna wait til i was driving down the road and my oil light came on to finally get around to changing a failing part, especially something that crucial.

#4 ·
Well, i have absolutely no idea what they're talking about then. Perhaps they could tell you what the difference is supposed to be, if there is one.

#5 ·
QUOTE (benthere98 @ Oct 19 2007, 08:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=549166
Thanks Nidan for the info.

RE: Step-on vs. Non Step-on - Autozone called out the same two options (they maybe using the same database as NAPA) but I noticed, in both places, two different part numbers.[/b]

I just went throught this problem and found out what the Step vs. Non-Step Camshaft Position Sensor is all about.

Ford managed to use two different connectors on the wiring plug that comes from your vehicle and attaches to the Camshaft Position Sensor; probably depending on the date of manufacture. I have no idea how to tell when the different parts were used.

Non-Step Style - If you look inside the connector on the Camshaft Position Sensor; you are looking at the socket (female) side of a quick connect plug. For the non-step style plug socket, the hole is the same size in the front of the plug socket as it is at the back (bottomed out in the socket hole) end of the plug socket. This means the tip of the plug (male end of the quick connect) from the vehicle will be the same size as the back end of the quick connect plug, (no step down in size.)

Step Style - If you look inside the connector on the Camshaft Position Sensor; you are looking at the socket (female) side of a quick connect plug. For the step style plug socket, the hole is large at the front of the socket, then about .25 (1/4) inches into the socket, the size of the socket steps down about .0625 (1/16) inches. This means that .25 (1/4) inches into the socket, the socket hole steps down and is smaller than the socket hole at the front of the socket. The smaller socket dimension remains this size the rest of the way back (bottomed out in the socket hole) of the plug socket. Looking at the vehicle side of the quick connect plug, the tip of the plug (steps down in size.)

The step plug (male) will fit into a non-step socket (female); however, I am not sure if you will make a water tight seal using this combination.

The non-step plug (male) will not fit into the step socket.

I saw the Autozone pictures for the two different parts, but they managed to miss illistrating the part of the socket that you really needed to see to know the difference. I have no idea why none of the parts people have figured this out and made it more clear. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Alan

#6 ·
Any pictures or part numbers please

OK, I've fallen in the "step on" "no step" plug hole. I've gone through about every Cam synchronizer/sensor that NAPA and other parts stores have and I can't come up with the "step plug" which is on my 2000 Taurus. I think I understand the difference but it would be great if someone has a part. no. for the "step plug" or a picture. The RockAuto Part Catalog talks about a step and non-step plug but I can't tell from the picture which is the right one. Does anyone have a part number I could use?

DORMAN Part # 689107
{#F8DZ12A362AA} OE Solutions; Includes Alignment Tool

A-1 CARDONE Part # 30S2600
Reman. A-1 CARDONE Crank Angle Sensor
OHV; w/Step on Plug

Thanks in advance for your help.

#7 ·
OK, let me try this another way. Does anyone have a good part number to replace the Camshaft Synchronizer for an 2000 Taurus SE OHV .. with the "step" plug.

Should I be asking NAPA etc .. for a Crank Angle Sensor ???

Since this seems to be the most common problem with the Taurus .. the part numbers should be fairly common?

#8 ·
You won't believe the end of this saga. Well I went back to O'Reilly Auto Parts again because the 1st person I talked to at O'Reilly seemed to understand the step - no step discussion.

After 3 trips to O'Reilly the service man looked it right up and said their regular reconditioned (step) part would have to be ordered but they had a new part if I wanted it. The part is a Richporter Technology part. no. FD32S. Checked it out it looked exactly like the original part. $70.99 . Put the new synchronizer in the car and all went well.

The only problem is that with the new synchronizer the car runs fine .. but the d&&^%$m squeak is still there.

Yup, it appears that wasn't the problem. The noise seems to be coming from the fan or serpentine belt area on the other side of the engine. This was where I first suspected until I got super smart and read about 100 articles and Googled "Taurus squeak".

So the good news is I can rule the Camshaft sychronizer off the list .. the bad news I need to trouble shoot a new problem.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help and have to admit this is sorta humorous even if I have to laugh at myself.

#9 ·
I know I'm bringing this back from the dead, but I had the same issue...So I bought both and returned the one I didn't use...

Very simple job once you have the area above the synchronizer cleared....the moron who designed the route for the wiring harness through there should be shot.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the sound of my squeak. I fired it up after the install and it was still there....went to the hardware store and got some belt dressing....I don't like to use it, but I had to see if it was the belt....it was new and the idler and tensioner pulleys were new.

A couple shots of dressing and all is quiet....:lol2:

Good thing I work for an auto parts store....

Later
Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.