Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

How Many Gallons Is My Gas Tank

35K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  ParagonXL 
#1 ·
I haven't every put much over 14 gallons in it.

I looked up some parts places and they say 18 gallons. I looked in the wiki and couldn't find it either.
Anyone know for sure?

I am about to buy a scangauge II and you have to put your tank capacity in there.

How much fuel will my tank hold?

Mike
B)

#2 ·
Mike, it depends on the build date of your car.
Early to mid year built 2000 models have the 16 gallon tank.
Most 2000 models built after June 2000 started coming with the 18 gallon tank, which came on all 2001 models. :)

#3 ·
really? 18 gallons for a gen 4? I have an 02 tec and the most ive ever been able to squeeze in was like 15.5 gallons. and that was running around with the needle dropped below E for a day.

#4 ·
They give that couple gallon buffer when the needle's on E, for people that do that. I had my needle just passed E and only squeezed ~12.6 gallons into it and it's a 15.4 gallon tank in the tour.

#6 ·
Exactly. When I'm on E I usually get about 13.5 gallons into a 16 gallon tank...pushing it one time, I put in 15.8 gallon :ph34r:
[/b]
some times my light turns on at 10 gallons left.. (i know cause when I first got it I filled it up everytime the light came on.) usually comes on around 12 gallons, i usually fill it up when i need 14 or 15.. I figure I averaged about 20mpg(since new tires and minor maintenance been seeing increase to 22 and sometimes higher but still go by 20 just to be safe) So I figure I need to fill up between 280 and 320.

#7 ·
I know there's a 2 gallon reserve that's tucked away in a separate compartment of the tank, so if you have a 16gal tank you can only put 14gal in. If you invoke the reserve, you will fill 14 gallons and then the car will put a new 2 gallons away into reserve and your tank will read a little low.

I think they started doing that in case your tank ever got siphoned.

#9 ·
My light will go on around 3 gallons left when the needle is between E and the 1/4 mark then the needle will drop fairly fast to the E.. I just pay attention to what mileage the light went on and figure out how many miles I have left on the tank. I usually fill it up with 14.5 to 15. gallons.. 16 gallon tank that needs to be changed due to rust.

#11 ·
mwt sounds like to me you got the 16-gallon tank. 18-gallon tank is more realistic with this car. As soon as I have about one-third tank left I start looking for a gas station.

#12 ·
I go by "how many miles to E" on my information center...I've gone down to 30 miles to E before :noes:

#14 ·
Well excuse me Mister 2004+ Taurus Man....not all of us have a Gen4.5 Taurus or Gen3 Taurus FFV or Gen1/2 with digital dash with some fancy smancy information sensor. We have to do it the old fashioned way with the inaccurate gas gauge.
[/b]

I actually think my gauge is pretty accurate and consistent. Now if every time I filled up at the same point on the gauge/mileage and it differed from 12-15 gallons in.. then I would be worried. I can easily drive my tank down to withing a gallon or so.. Just filled it up with 15 gallons today.

No car out there will stay above E until the tank is empty. It is the scare factor that the manufacturers calibrate the gauge so people don't run out of gas. I have heard even on some of the cars with the "miles to empty" or similar, people have driven past 0 and it resets to 20 miles or something because of the fuel reserve designed into the tank.

#16 ·
I go by "how many miles to E" on my information center...I've gone down to 30 miles to E before :noes:
[/b]
I've gotten it down to 16 to E in the jeep :ph34r: Was towing sleds at that and really really didn't feel like stopping to put gas in after riding all day. Fiance was happy with me next day when she took it. There's a gas station 2 blocks down hill across the highway so I don't mind pushing it near the limit.

#19 ·
I've heard that consistently running the tank down low is hard on the fuel pump...any opinions on this?

#20 ·
I've heard just running it out of gas will hurt/kill it. Gas keeps it cool. running low maybe, would imagine that comes from the idea of the gas sloshing away from the pump. Same time though gas tanks are designed to prevent that? :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.