Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Problems With Copied Ignition Key

19K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  ab_sood 
#1 ·
When I bought my used 2003 Taurus I got only one key.
I went to the locksmith to get two more. He said there is a chip inside the key and he has to program it. One key would be 60$ and two would be 85.
OK, I got two for 85$.
I tried all three keys and they worked.
A month later I couldnt start the car with one of the copied keys. The theft light would start to blink.
I disconnected the battery and connected it again and the car would start.
The following days this happened a couple of times. So I thought maybe its the copied key.
I started to use only the original key. And I had no problems for more than 6 months.
Three days ago I used one of the copied keys. everything was OK.
Yesterday my wife drove the Taurus to a store using the original key. After shopping she tried to start the car, but couldnt. I got there, disconnected the battery and connected it again and the car would start.
I drove it, parked and started a couple of times. everything was OK.
But later that day I couldnt start it again.
So looks like the copied keys mess up the whole car.
I dont know if its a coincidence, but the first time the problem occured was a day after I disconnected the battery (to turn the check engine light off).
I havent asked the locksmith yet, if he knows what the problem could be.
Does anyone had the same problem?

Kresi

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe try reprogramming each of the keys first? :dunno: He also kinda took advantage of you on the 3rd key, as you can program that yourself.

Code:
1. Insert a previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4(ON) position for at least one second, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position, and remove the coded key
from the ignition.

4. Within ten seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the other previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

5. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4 (ON) position for at least one second but not more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position, and remove the second key from the ignition.

7. Within twenty seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the unprogrammed key (new/valet key) into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4 (ON) position for at least one second.

9. Your new unprogrammed key is now programmed.  If the key has been successfully programmed it will start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and
then go out. If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start your vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will flash on and off rapidly. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your dealer to have the
new key(s) programmed.

To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this procedure
from step 1 for each additional key.

#4 ·
Thanks Bull Geek!
I will try that!!!

Kresi
[/b]
For step 1, I would use the factory key as well...just in case.

And the positions (1-5) start with accessory and end with start:

#7 ·
IIRC you need both original keys.
[/b]
Correct, you need 2 original programmed keys.

#11 ·
You can try to find a locksmith who has the equipment...it's part of the anti-theft system.

It takes about a half hour (safety feature...the system make them wait) and you can't program any additional keys yourself until you have two locked in.

At the dealer it can run $75-100 or so depending on where you go.

#12 ·
<div class='quotemain'>
IIRC you need both original keys.
[/b]
IIRC???
both original keys? i only have 1 key
couldn't i just use the 1 key, twice? :dunno:
[/b][/quote]

Just for future posts.. IIRC means If I Recall Correctly. :thumb:

#15 ·
I have a 2001 Sable and I need an extra key. Do the above comments apply to me too? I have to get a new key from the dealer?

Thanks - Brad [/b]
You can get a new transponder key off ebay and program it if you have 2 other programmed keys. If you only have one, you'll need to take it to a locksmith or dealer to have it programmed. Check out ebay seller transponderisland

#16 ·
I have a 2001 Sable and I need an extra key. Do the above comments apply to me too? I have to get a new key from the dealer?

Thanks - Brad
[/b]
If you only have one working PATS key, then yes you will unfortunatly have to go to the dealer to get the second key made. Or maybe you'll luck out finding a locksmith that has the tools needed, but not all of them do.

Buy the key blanks off of eBay. Don't pay what the dealer charges you (for me that's $40 for a key). The keys go for around $10 shipped on eBay.

#17 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

So, this is what I should do, right?

1) I need to buy a blank (off of Ebay) and take it to the dealer to be cut.

2) I can also buy the fob on Ebay.

3) The dealer will cut the blank and then I can program it myself, right? It looks like the fob is not too hard to program myself.

I didn't see in the instructions further up this thread that 2 programmed keys are needed, thus I am a little confused.

#18 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

So, this is what I should do, right?

1) I need to buy a blank (off of Ebay) and take it to the dealer to be cut.

2) I can also buy the fob on Ebay.

3) The dealer will cut the blank and then I can program it myself, right? It looks like the fob is not too hard to program myself.

I didn't see in the instructions further up this thread that 2 programmed keys are needed, thus I am a little confused.

[/b]
1. just take it to home depot or a hardware store or something, dealer doesnt have to do it.

2. yup

3. you can program it so long as you have 2 existing programmed keys. If you only have 1, the dealer or a capable locksmith needs to with a computer. That is so someone cant borrow your key and program another.

#19 ·
3. you can program it so long as you have 2 existing programmed keys. If you only have 1, the dealer or a capable locksmith needs to with a computer. That is so someone cant borrow your key and program another.
[/b]
Concerning #3, can I take it to Ace to be cut, then go to the dealer for programming?

If I don't get it programmed, will the car alarm go off if I try to use it, or just it won't start?

#20 ·
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Concerning #3, can I take it to Ace to be cut, then go to the dealer for programming?

If I don't get it programmed, will the car alarm go off if I try to use it, or just it won't start?
[/b][/quote]
Yes, you could do that. If you don't get it programmed, it will only work in the door lock cylinders, trunk cylinder, and ignition...but, trying to start the car with the key will not work.

No alarms will go off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.