Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

98 sable Enduro car

4K views 13 replies 1 participant last post by  offroadohio 
#1 ·
I purchased this car in March for cheap to drive for a few months.

Heard about a 100.lap $1000 to win Enduro race at the local dirt track.

Rules are simple take a car strip it and go. So I pulled the Sable into the garage and stripped it.

Just before the race it down poured. They still ran. I made it a good ways and was leading but then the coolant running on the outside of the frame got hit and eventually the car overheated so I shut it down.

They held a second 25 lap race that paid 250 so I repaired the hose with a socket and tried again.

Ended up 2nd at the cost of some several body damage.

Drivers b pillar was smashed into.the seat

Inner tie rods where both bent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Next Enduro is Nov 5th so I've been busy on repairs. Took a very long time to get it washed.

Used a porta power to push the b pillar back

Added a spreader between the pillars to keep it from collapsing again

Replaced tie rods.

Rerouted the coolant hose

#7 ·

Strut tower is bent so I removed top plate, cut the holes bigger and slid it outward to adjust camber.

And then I found this...

Looks like I took out a head gasket or worst.

#8 ·
Never fear.. bars headgasket and block sealer to the rescue.

I flushed coolant system twice and crankcase twice. Then filled it with old used oil and poured bars into the system.

Let it idle an hour. Shut it down and showed some coolant in oil.
Drained and refilled with fresh.
Idled another hour.

Now I get no.signs of coolant.

Radiator still showing some signs of oil but I assume it is still trying to get the coating of oil out of itself so I'm not to concerned with it.

Ready for the next race!

#9 ·
Another race in the books. Bars held but radiator get get busted so another overheating.

Building a new car for next year but this one will stay around to run some differant type races

#10 · (Edited)
What is prime again all ready for another race. I haven't touched this car that's the last one because I've been working on getting the new car ready. Well the new car is a long way from being ready tob race so I pulled a radiator from a parts car this one will be making another race

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.