Not really a modification, but it bothered me when the light on my headlight switch burned out. I realized that if this happens, you MUST replace the switch. The light bulb is not serviceable. The switch breaks when taken apart. Unless you want to go crazy with glue, visit your local scrap yard and get one in good condition.
Back to modifications.
I never was going to install mirrors with puddle lamps. I later found out that most Gen4s are prewired for heated mirrors and puddle lamps. Naturally, mine isn't prewired for heat based on build date, but puddle lamps work. The heated mirrors are a future project. I was able to get two mirrors with both functions and silver frost mirror caps.
Music is wonderful. I added Mach, but I wanted more! I found a CD changer setup in a 2000 Taurus SE Comfort Wagon and tore it out. I ended up custom mounting my CD changer with the wagon bracket, and I like the way it turned out. It makes for more room in the side area without the case for traditional trunk setups.
In some down time, I took 2 old dealer license plate frames, two Gen 4.0 Taurus Trunk badges, and made some custom plate frames.
Now my BIGGEST modification. Do not ever do this. Seriously.
Do not ask me if I was dropped on my head or for my IQ. I know it was probably more stupid than lighting a match near spilled gasoline, but I decided somehow it was a good idea to put in a moonroof. I did not want aftermarket, and everyone told me to not do it. My stubbornness got the best of me on this one. It ended up working out and I did disprove the myths of loss of structural support in the roof. I did a write up on this.. do a search if you are looking for more details.
I went to the junkyard and spotted the same Taurus SEL that I got my rear parcel shelf carpet out of. I started tearing it apart to see what I needed to do.
This is the tray in the junk car.
I went to town and a couple hours later I got the tray down as well as all the components I needed to do the swap into my car. The SEL was destroyed.
Then the crazier part.
This was my roof before anything.
And this is where it gets graphic. We did a lot of crazy measuring and finally did the cuts.
Then once it was cut, the edges needed to be bent over and welded to the tray.
Of course, it needed some bondo and body work to get it looking good after installation.
Once that was done, I had the headliner recovered and I reinstalled that. Additionally, I put on an AVS moonroof wind deflector too. But... voila, a factory moonroof installed aftermarket.
Before, you saw that I purchased faux Centennial headlights, but ditched them. I wanted to get centennials, and luckily found two Ford OEM
centennial headlight housings.. from two different eBay sellers. I was lucky that one had driver and the other had the passenger! Not a bad price too as opposed to aftermarket lenses!