Bull Geek's 1997 Taurus SHO V8 - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Former Moderpony

Member Number: 7950
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES, pulled around by a vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Dschinghis Kahn has a spectacular aura about

Congrats! Great looking car too.

I had heard of the mythical cloth SHO seats, but never seen them. It just seems... odd.

Dschinghis Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 37321
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: I own a 1996 Black Taurus SHO
QuinnSHO is on a distinguished road

Call this odd, but I have only noticed them in RED SHO's. There's a red sho that runs around here occasionally with them. Thought I saw it at the junkyard bout 4 months ago. Then to find out I saw it about a month ago again. Then this makes 3.

QuinnSHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Mine is a "stripper" SHO for the 97 MY. No chrome wheels, no leather seats, no power passenger seat, no cell phone. I honestly like the SHO Cloth seats more than the leather.

And yes I did add chrome wheels. I like the look on a red car Guilty.

Trans shifts like a Taurus trans: smooth and unrefined lol. It shifts better once it has warmed up a tad bit.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute

I changed out the ball joints yesterday with help from a mechanic friend. Had to use a torch and bfh and pry bar. The ball joints were so bad, they had been hammered into the lower control arm. Levering down on the control arm with force caused the ball joint to press out of the knuckle Yea that stuck.

Heated the lower control arm up red hot, twice, then levered down on it and it finally popped loose. Now need to get a couple of end links, they are both shot up front.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Replaced the IAC on the 24th as well with one I had grabbed at the JY a few years ago that was brand new on a car that had been scrapped. That fixed a couple of issues I had noticed.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

Curious, when you had the cams welded, you just took the valve covers
off and had them welded in place still attached? Were they welded on
one side only or a tack weld 180degree apart?
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member Number: 44078
Drives: '97 GL, '13 SEL
Trader Score: 3 reviews
TaurusSHO is on a distinguished road

Congrats on finishing one of my dream cars! Always good to hear someone bringing a SHO back to life.

Also, how can you tell if a ball joint needs replaced? Our mechanic says it needs replaced, but we just had the one on now replaced 2-3 years ago, and my dad doesn't think it needs to be replaced.
TaurusSHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Just removed the cam covers, left everything in tact. Hooked battery up, bumped starter, removed battery cables while welding, to rotate engine. Welding was done on 3 spots per camshaft, evenly spaced apart.

TIG welding, if area properly cleaned up from what I'm told, does not produce splatter/slag. MIG, even when area cleaned up, will produce splatter/slag.

My operating temps appear to be a bit high for this car from what I'm told (200-208F) so I will be having to probably yank the radiator out and clean it. Hopefully it's just clogged with debris. Temp gauge indicator shows it dead in the middle (pointing at 25mph) even when the low speed cooling fan kicks on. No idea if high speed works since it never gets that warm.

The way I found out about ball joints was having a friend grab the wheel at 3 and 9 then push and pull the wheel while putting my hand on the inner tie rod, then outer tie rod, then on the ball joint. Also had the friend watching what was happening. Originally I thought I needed tie rods based on the wheel movement. It was actually the ball joint slop. Now it's nice and tight.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

I hear ya about the cloth seats over the leather. Not only are they more comfy in high humidity, they don't scream "SHO" while you're getting ready to run someone.

Good-looking car, Nick, you should have some fun with that!
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member Number: 41989
Drives: 1998 Mercury Sable LS Premium, 3.0L Duratec DOHC 24V V6
98SilverSable is an unknown quantity at this point

looks great man! always a little TLC to get a car going again!

And I didn't think those model SHOs had cloth seats. I thought all Gen 3 SHOs had full leather interior.
"If I had money, I'll tell you what I'd do.... I'd go downtown and buy a Mercury or 2, crazy about a Mercury. Yeah, I'm crazy about a Mercury. I'm gonna buy me a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road!"

- Alan Jackson - "Mercury Blues"

Facebook
98SilverSable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.