Question About 2000 Taurus Se Duratec Vs Vulcan - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 5460
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
a7mc has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thumbs up

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 2000 Taurus, and found one at a great price (hopefully joining this forum on a regular basis ). Unfortunately, the guy is really hard to get a hold of. I'm trying to find out if it's the Duratec or Vulcan.

So... the question: Do ALL Duratec Tauruses have the little "24V" badge on the fender, or is that not an accurate indication of the engine? From the picture, there is no badge on the fender.

I'm pretty set on getting the Duratec, since I had one in my 2001 Cougar. I know it's a good engine, and I trust it more than the Vulcan (plus I like power). But maybe I'm wrong... is the Vulcan as reliable/good as the Duratec when getting to high mileage?

Thanks!
A7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 4431
Robert L has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Robert L

Both engines are reliable, however, the Vulcan is bullet proof compared, and yes, the tec has the 24v badges on the fenders.

Vulcan = Economy

Tec = Power

Your call.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

Both powerplants have proven themselves to be very reliable, even with higher mileage. (well, except for my 97 Vulcan, but that was my fault )

Fender badges are not a good way to tell. They may have been removed if the car ever had paint/body work, or by a detail shop if they were coming off slightly.

The best way to tell is by the VIN. The eighth letter will be a U for a Vulcan, and an S for a Duratec.

For what it's worth, I would go for the 'Tec.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 4431
Robert L has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Robert L

What he said. ^^
Old 06-05-2005, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 5460
a7mc has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks guys. I guess I'll keep hounding the guy to find out more and hope he gets back to me sometime soon. It's a 2000, with 200000k (kilometers... I'm in Canada), for $4500 CDN. Seems like a decent deal to me, despite the high mileage.

We'll see. I'll let you all know if I get it.

Thanks again.
A7
Old 06-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 60
Twilight has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Twilight Send a message via MSN to Twilight

For what it's worth my 99 Sable has 190,000 km on the odometer. Over the past couple years I've had to replace the engine, a ton of electrical components, and now the steering is FUBAR and replacing this rack seems impossible. After all this of course it's going to be tops, but just consider how much you're going to spend. I highly recommend spending about 6k and getting a car with ~120-130k on it.

Heck i saw a 98 Sable w/Duratec with only 130,000 km for $5000 at a local dealer.

99 Mercury Sable LS (retired) - green/gray, Duratec, 135000 mi, G4 Taurus wheels, stereo, 11.6" brakes, clear corners, stack of parts in the garage and endless list of repairs.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 4536
holedigger has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to holedigger

Quote:
Originally posted by a7mc@Jun 5 2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I'll keep hounding the guy to find out more and hope he gets back to me sometime soon. It's a 2000, with 200000k (kilometers... I'm in Canada), for $4500 CDN. Seems like a decent deal to me, despite the high mileage.
200,000km is a little high. The worst part of these cars is usually the transmission. Pay close attention to how it shifts.

Even if you don't buy it, there are millions of other Tauruses. Look around and you are sure to find what you want. Don't feel pressured to take that one.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 4863
sfontain has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The Vulcan is a more reliable engine than the Duratac, but the latter is not bad either. To sort of refute what was said above, the Vulcan is not particularly economical in comparison to the Duratec; generally better, yes, but I doubt you'll see more than 1-3 mpg difference in general. The Vulcan is also easier to work on due to its smaller stature.

I have a Vulcan and thus far it's a great engine: Solid so far and reasonably easy to work on for a FWD V6. The only reasons to go with the Duratec are to guarantee you get the AX4N and for the extra power, and for that reason I highly encourage you to try driving both, even if it means going to a Ford dealership and acting like you want to buy a car from them; I can assure you that they will have a buttload of used Tauruses to test drive. Admittedly, there are occasionally times that I've wished I had the Duratec, but I can't really say I've ever needed it. 150+ HP really is nothing to scoff at if you're not building a racecar.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4131
millermagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to millermagic

I've never needed more than 150 hp.

Bob, what did you do to your vulcan
Old 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 5403
Annorax has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to Annorax Send a message via AIM to Annorax Send a message via MSN to Annorax Send a message via Yahoo to Annorax

I have the Vulcan engine, and sure it's no powerhouse, but it works fine for me and has plenty of power. I know I'm not a racer so I don't drive like one. Even merging on highways isn't bad, and that's the only time I need power.

I don't know about Duratec economy, but calculating by hand I get about 23 with like no highway and 25 with about 1/3 highway. For a car this size, I'm satisified with those numbers.

Mods I am planning on doing: (some day)
- Digital Compass & Auto-dimming mirror
- Daytime running lights
- Numeric keypad on driver's door
- Rear disc brakes & rear spoiler
- Power passenger seat
- Something to fix those trunk hinges
- Moonroof (later down the line)
- Traction & Stability Control (is this even possible?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread