LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2002
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Is a 2010 a costly disaster?

I have decided this year to upgrade to a newer Taurus, I currently own a 2002 SE which I have owned for the past 6 years or so. I have never shied away from admitting I think it has become quite a sexy beast and have my heart set on buying one.

But hereís the thing, I have a friend, who knows about cars and works on them and has replaced some parts on mine, who says itís a bad idea and I shouldnít buy one and has even gone as far to say that I should buy a Dodge and stop buying Fords.

On a side note he owns two Dodges, his Ram has been in the shop twice so far in the last three years for bent rods and a myriad of engine problems and his Jeep has intermittent problems since he bought it two years ago where as my 14 year old Taurus, in the six years I have owned it, I have only had to replace a fuel pump (the original one at that), a starter (original), the alternator and the battery. I know it was original as the original owner, a company who used it as a fleet car, provided all receipts and service records they had on it.

Needless to say Iím sticking with Ford. But I figured I would take it to the source, people who actually own one. Iím not buying a brand new off the lot Taurus, I never buy new cars, Iím going to buy a 2010-2011 model and thought I would ask just how ďbadĒ they are and how ďridiculously expensiveĒ they are to repair.

We all know newer cars come with a price tag as far as repairs are concerned as there are more electronics and gadgets crowding up already limited space where a carburetor once was and .99 cent keys you get cut at Wal-Mart now cost $200+ dollar as they are outfitted with microchips.

But just so I have facts leading my decision rather than bloated opinions from someone who just doesnít like Ford, what am I in for? Another reliable Taurus which I wouldnít hesitate driving cross country, or a car that will result in bankruptcy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER

My 2014 was pretty reliable, little stupid stuff occurred but nothing that prevented me from getting to work safely, comfortably, and with some good beats.

The only thing to worry about on these cars is a PTU failure (AWD only), which isn't terribly common; and failure of the water pump between 80-100k. Neither are guaranteed to fail, but both are expensive. The latter requires 12 hours of labor to replace due to its location and surrounding components, and that's assuming any coolant leak has not caused any other engine damage.

Couple of bad data points, but honestly, most have been happy with these vehicles.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

My adult daughters 13 Limited has been very reliable. She bought it with 22K on the clock and it currently has around 65 K. Had the EVAP purge valve replaced under warranty shortly after she bought it in late 2014. Other than that, zero problems. I did replace front brake pads and front stabilizer bar end links this past summer. Parts cost $50 total.

Buy a new Dodge????? I would rather walk.
Andrew Parra likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both so much! It pretty much confirmed what I knew to be true.

Repairs are costly regardless of model year and itís a part of ownership, itís certainly not an aspect I have a problem with. I guess Iíll just start taking my new Taurus to a mechanic or Ford dealership if I ever need anything repaired rather than him.

Jeff, I completely agree. Iíd much rather walk. I understand brand loyalty, but his truck alone has cost him close to $6,000 and thereís still issues he has to get repaired. My Taurus in the last six years has cost me a measly Ė when compared to $6,000 - $400 in general repairs. The choice is obvious and I donít know why anyone would push a car brand on someone that has cost them enough that he could have salvaged the truck and bought a decent used car for.

I will admit however the Dodge Stratus at one time caught my eye, but knowing what I do, Iíll pass.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Stay away from those Dodge's. Unless you like doing repairs.
My son in law is a Dodge guy and the things that went on his bought new pickups under 100k miles are obscene.
But he's a Dodge guy.
jag1959 likes this.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by repairman54 View Post
Stay away from those Dodge's. Unless you like doing repairs.
My son in law is a Dodge guy and the things that went on his bought new pickups under 100k miles are obscene.
But he's a Dodge guy.

And evidently also a masochist. Mopar hasn't been Mopar for quite some time. it's far from 'mo' and well below 'par'
sheila and thefranchise713 like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Year: 2010

I bought a 2010 sel last year with a tad over a hundred thousand miles on it for eighty eight hundred dollars.
So far the only thing ive replaced are the spark plugs which were original and bought two extra keyless remote keys
off ebay for 28 bucks.
so far so good, i love it!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I'm definitely staying away from Dodge, everyone I know who has owned one has had nothing but problems. My aunt is one of the most recent victims, she was sitting at a stop light when the transmission in her Intrepid decided it had enough.

gixxer; That's great to hear, it puts any worries I had to rest, which let's be honest, I didn't really have any. haha Like I said, the Taurus I have now has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I've driven back home (6 hour one way drive) countless times and every where in between without any problems and put on a little over 60,000 miles, it now has 145,xxx miles and still going strong. Taurus has always been a solid brand, so to buy anything else just seems dumb.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Year: 2011
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
I bought my 2011 SHO last July with 71k miles on it and traded in my 2011 Dodge Avenger Lux to get it. Zeros issues in the past 5k miles other than the ground terminal bolt stripping out (I'm assuming the dealer messed that up when the replaced the battery during the CPO process) which was a quick fix.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2010 today. I love my SHO!

Don't buy Dodge....please.

Livernois Motorsports Windstorm CAI and nothing else. On-deck and waiting for winter to go away: Livernois Motorsports tune and Thunderstorm catless downpipes
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:32 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
My 2014 was pretty reliable, little stupid stuff occurred but nothing that prevented me from getting to work safely, comfortably, and with some good beats.

The only thing to worry about on these cars is a PTU failure (AWD only), which isn't terribly common; and failure of the water pump between 80-100k. Neither are guaranteed to fail, but both are expensive. The latter requires 12 hours of labor to replace due to its location and surrounding components, and that's assuming any coolant leak has not caused any other engine damage.

Couple of bad data points, but honestly, most have been happy with these vehicles.
12 hours labor to replace a water pump? OUCH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page