Good to be back!-Plus rare prototypes - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 46548
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 90 Taurus 3.0L GL Wagon Currant Red Power everything but no picnic table
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jaecht83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good to be back!-Plus rare prototypes

I love this forum and I've been away for awhile, but it's nice to be back!

I had talked to some members on this board and they were helpful. I found a good site on the history of the '86 DN5 model, plus mockups.

*Did anyone ever figure out why some Tauriii had SHO-like windows but the majority didn't? I have a pic of some old MT5s on my hard drive, but if I can upload them to an external site I will show them too.

Here is the site:

Autos of Interest - Design Notes: 1986 Ford Taurus
jaecht83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Drives: 90 Taurus 3.0L GL Wagon Currant Red Power everything but no picnic table

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaecht83 View Post
I love this forum and I've been away for awhile, but it's nice to be back!

I had talked to some members on this board and they were helpful. I found a good site on the history of the '86 DN5 model, plus mockups.

*Did anyone ever figure out why some Tauriii had SHO-like windows but the majority didn't? I have a pic of some old MT5s on my hard drive, but if I can upload them to an external site I will show them too.

Here is the site:

Autos of Interest - Design Notes: 1986 Ford Taurus

The images above and left were drawn by the same artist but the article didnít provide descriptions or even captions. However, based on the date of another sketch, and dated photos, Iíd place these two from very late 1981 to sometime in 1982. Thatís just after Fordís new sedan project started; it was code-named: Taurus. The three dictates for the Pre-Program Taurus studio were a transverse front-wheel-drive configuration, capacity for six semi-full-sized adults, and a useful production life of at least 15 years.
The magazine described the earliest Taurus sketches as depicting short-trunked hatchbacks. Apparently because of a strong push from Fordís marketers, and a desire for reduced wind resistance, Ford favored the five-door configuration. The first Taurus clays, some of which are shown on the following pages, were all hatchbacks.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 45748
Drives: "The Blue Goose" - 1995 Taurus GL Wagon, 3.0L Vulcan V-6
jhefner is on a distinguished road

The early Ford Taurus design was also based on the Ford Sierra and the Ford Probe III concept car; shown below:

Notice how it resembles these early sketches. But, five door hatchbacks never sold well in the North American market; so the design evolved to a sedan and seperate station wagon. But you can still see several design clues from the Probe III in the Taurus.

The Taurus did not go with a fully covered underbelly like the Ford Probe III; but the flattened oil and transmisson pan bottoms, the reccessed exhaust pipe and other features that make the underside as smooth as possible also came out of the Probe III design work.

-James
jhefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhefner View Post
The early Ford Taurus design was also based on the Ford Sierra and the Ford Probe III concept car; shown below:

Notice how it resembles these early sketches. But, five door hatchbacks never sold well in the North American market; so the design evolved to a sedan and seperate station wagon. But you can still see several design clues from the Probe III in the Taurus.

The Taurus did not go with a fully covered underbelly like the Ford Probe III; but the flattened oil and transmisson pan bottoms, the reccessed exhaust pipe and other features that make the underside as smooth as possible also came out of the Probe III design work.

-James
thank you James!

do you know why early Taurii looked like SHOs? (i.e. no black B and C pillars).

Also, wagons looked like Sables early on with black B and C, and then in '88 or so they went to colored B and C, as the opposite of the sedans. Look at an early '86 wagon and see how similarly it looks to a Sable and then an '88-90 and you'll see what I mean.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 45748
Drives: "The Blue Goose" - 1995 Taurus GL Wagon, 3.0L Vulcan V-6
jhefner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaecht83 View Post
thank you James!

do you know why early Taurii looked like SHOs? (i.e. no black B and C pillars).

Also, wagons looked like Sables early on with black B and C, and then in '88 or so they went to colored B and C, as the opposite of the sedans. Look at an early '86 wagon and see how similarly it looks to a Sable and then an '88-90 and you'll see what I mean.
You're welcome.

I don't know for certain; but I think that coincides with when they went away from black colored front and rear bumpers; and went to all body colored bumpers instead. That is all I can figure out.

-James
jhefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhefner View Post
You're welcome.

I don't know for certain; but I think that coincides with when they went away from black colored front and rear bumpers; and went to all body colored bumpers instead. That is all I can figure out.

-James
never thought of that. The grilled Taurii are as rare as the grey-grill Sierra.

Some of the Taurus Ls didn't even say Taurus L on the side; they said Taurus.

as you see, the windows look like SHO.

this is a sho prototype with the black grille and SHO windows, but you can tell it has an L body.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

By what the brochures have to say...the 86s were oddballs. 87s have no mention of optional black out trim. Nothing.

Brochures for 87 show the L and GLs did not have script on the side for "TAURUS GL". But I have owned/own two 87s. Both said it on the door. One was built in May of 87, one was built in January. I've seen a few other 87s at yards, and they said it on the door if it was a GL.

However, any 86-87 L models I have not seen it say L until 88.

Note that the brochure show with and without chrome bright work on the window trims on the L and GL models for some. I have never seen a car lacking the bright work.

It shows 86 and 87 wagons having blacked out B pillars, maybe because of the optional 86 Exterior Accent Group and they carried over the picture.

The only way I've ever seen the 86-87s is with chrome bright work all around the windows and blacked out B and C pillars on sedans, and chrome bright work on the bottom of the window with body color B and C pillars on wagons.

Here are some screen captures from the Taurus marketing book prior to the 86 release as well as from the 86 sales brochure and 87.
Attached Thumbnails
Good to be back!-Plus rare prototypes-photo-5.jpg   Good to be back!-Plus rare prototypes-image_1.jpg   Good to be back!-Plus rare prototypes-image_2.jpg   Good to be back!-Plus rare prototypes-image.jpeg  

Good to be back!-Plus rare prototypes-image_3.jpg  

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute

Dang iPhone rotating the pictures! Fixing it...

--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Emeritus Staff Member

Member Number: 51308
Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Drives: .
The White Falcon is a splendid one to beholdThe White Falcon is a splendid one to behold

I just rotated my monitor, actually. I need to buy some brochures.

See the details here.

Life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony. Martin Luther King, Jr.
But...it was so artistically done. Grand Admiral Thrawn.
The White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Ok all fixed. You'll need to look full screen at the brochure detail with all the text. Focus on (3) Exterior Accent Group.

Former...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement