2008 Ford Taurus Transmission Information - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 52427
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2008 Ford Taurus Base, 3.5 V6
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
FLYRITE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2008 Ford Taurus Transmission Information

I recently bought a 2008 Ford Taurus with 91000 miles. When I am going to overtake on the highway, the tach needle goes up to around 3000 rpm and stops, but the car keeps going faster. The closest to this I have ever seen is the cvt in the Ford Escape. Is this transmission half cvt? Where can I get detailed information about it?
FLYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Emeritus Staff Member

Member Number: 51308
Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Drives: .
The White Falcon is a splendid one to beholdThe White Falcon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYRITE View Post
I recently bought a 2008 Ford Taurus with 91000 miles. When I am going to overtake on the highway, the tach needle goes up to around 3000 rpm and stops, but the car keeps going faster. The closest to this I have ever seen is the cvt in the Ford Escape. Is this transmission half cvt? Where can I get detailed information about it?
Transmission is the 6F50, a joint GM-Ford design. No CVT about it.

See the details here.

Life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony. Martin Luther King, Jr.
But...it was so artistically done. Grand Admiral Thrawn.
The White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

The previous generation Ford Five Hundred (2005-2007) used a CVT, but your car doesn't.

If the engine pulls just fine past 3000 RPM and the shifting is normal, I would say it's a problem with the instrument cluster (either looses communication or is bad).

Try putting the cluster into ETM (hold Reset button, turn the key on, and releases when the display changes). Scroll through using the reset button until you have the RPM digital display. Now do it again and see what happens to the number when you get to 3000.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

The cluster is fine and the engine goes to the red line just fine at close to or at wot (except for shift flare, but that's another story). At a quarter or half throttle, the rpm goes to either 2500 or 3000 rpm and stops, but the car will keep accelerating until 60 or 70, then it upshifts. It is not problematic, I thought it was normal for this car but was just curious how they made the 6 speed act like a cvt in certain conditions.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, not normal. RPM needs to change with speed and gear shifts. Try ETM like I suggested to see if it's a communication problem.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here is what is probably happening. Your mashing the throttle and the
car is down shifting. When this happens, your TC is unlocking so
there is no direct mechanical connection between the engine and
transmission. there is mechanical slip in the TC. eventually, it
catches up and it will lock back up (and probably upshift shift back into OD)

If your in doubt, take it to a trannie shop and have the factory PID codes
scanned for issues.
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Nope, not normal. RPM needs to change with speed and gear shifts. Try ETM like I suggested to see if it's a communication problem.
Tried it. The digital tach stops just like the analog tach.

Quote:
If your in doubt, take it to a trannie shop and have the factory PID codes
scanned for issues.
I did do that and they said there was no codes, but this was for a shift flare problem I am having.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Quote:
Tried it. The digital tach stops just like the analog tach.
Okay, as you noticed the last digit is usually a blur when the tach readout is working normally. When the digital readout "stopped" did the display completely freeze (absolutely no digit changes) or did it keep updating and the number just stayed around 3000 RPM with the normal fluctuation? Or was it reading exactly 3000 RPM even?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Okay, as you noticed the last digit is usually a blur when the tach readout is working normally. When the digital readout "stopped" did the display completely freeze (absolutely no digit changes) or did it keep updating and the number just stayed around 3000 RPM with the normal fluctuation? Or was it reading exactly 3000 RPM even?
No, it fluctuates between 10 to 40 rpm, just like when the engine is idling.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Okay, if the display had normal fluctuation then I would say your transmission was slipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement