Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

HID Headlights

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 ·
The headlights in my new Taurus, suck...lol My last Taurus had bad headlights, but not this bad, and I know i can gain a little by installing a nicer headlight, but HID headlights have always ran across my mind. Is there a particular brightness you guys suggest? Or a specific brand?

#2 ·
In some states you'll need HID compatible projectors to be legal. While pulled over by a Statie years ago in my Gen 2 GL. I had Silverstar ultras and I Knew they were bright but I didn't think they were that bright. The Statie had me turning on and off my headlights. They just don't want folks blinding people. Otherwise they sell kits to clean up the foggy yellow headlights for about $20 and for $20-$50 you can get a set of Silverstar ultras or ZXE's and call it a day. If you find someone who can make a decent HID compatible projector be a good tcca brother and let me know. Also when you buy your HID'S pay the money buy American an try to get the best warranty you can get.

#3 ·
For HID's I would go German....and the 6000k.

I have Japanese 8000k from vvme.com Good quality I just prefer the German one's. 6000k is more of a pure white while 8000k has the tinted blue color. I would go with the 6000k if I had buy them again. :)

#4 ·
No need for HIDs. This is much easier: 1) Buy a headlight kit and polish the lenses to make them crystal clear again. 2) Buy new halogen bulbs (regular or extra bright) and install them. 3) Align the headlights properly (procedure in your owner's manual).

Those three things alone can double your light output. It's not that expensive either. HIDs would require a projector beam housing (you can't just put the bulbs in your existing housing), so the cost is going to be in the hundreds for HIDs.

#5 ·
Yessir, that'll do the trick. Even putting in newer factory bulbs and aligning them will help a lot.

#12 · (Edited)
You forgot the years worth of car washes or 100 gallons of gas. (I was just told of the actual cost today). But if you gotta have it. You must pay the price. Even if its $400-$800. Otherwise
1)buy the headlight restore kit. (3m or turtle wax)
2)Slyvania's Silverstar ultras or Phillips extremes
3)FULL POWER HEADLIGHT wiring harness
RJM Injection Tech — Headlight Harness

That's a perscription for 125% increase in light guaranteed to get you pulled over.

All that and you still save $300+

Then again, at the risk of being a hypocrite; I'll still have to pay the cost for the HID's. :(

#7 ·
Although, new headlight housings are only 80 bucks on eBay. I'm not sure of the quality of said housings, but it could be easier than polishing it. I'm planning on just replacing the things when I get a Taurus, assuming the AZ sun has worked it's magic on them.

#9 ·
3M 39045 - Lens Renewal Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Supposed to be this, but even then it's not perfect, and it requires the most work. My father tried a cheaper variant on the Odyssey, and it wore off after a few weeks and really didn't do anything worthwhile.

#10 ·
Well I know there are many different kits out there. I'm just curious what people have used and think work the best!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
Consumer reports tested these about a year ago and determined the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit was the best. The 3M kit was also good. They showed no degradation in clarity after 3 months. They found the sealant on the cheaper kits wore away in 2 months, so try to avoid the cheaper kits. The sealant is really important, because otherwise the bare plastic will dull from the UV in sunlight.

#13 ·
I work part time in a Hand Car Wash/Detail Shop/Express detail/Light Mechanical/Oil Change/clean whatever shop. When it comes to headlight restoration we have been using LMC wetsanding compound (tan like color) applied with a pad by hand and hand buffed, or high speed buffed. Works great, and extremely low cost. I think i will have to look into those harnesses. Is there a certain type of bulb required after installing that harness?

#15 ·
I think that soon I will be putting a new headlight harness in. Not to ask a dumb question, but does this mean I can run a 100 watt bulb legally for driving beams? Or will it just make maximum use of the bulbs I already have?

+1 on the 3M restoration kit. It worked wonders on my g3 headlights, though I was less pleased with my g4 lights. I plan on re-doing it.

#19 ·
At Advanced Auto all Silverstars are on sale "$5 off". The regular silverstars for $35, Ultras for $45 and ZXE's for $54 until 1/30/13

#21 ·
I ran a set of vvme HID on my Sable for over 100k miles, took them out when I sold the car & put them in my son's Sable. Factory lights have a bulb "cap" or end reflector that does a good job of killing glare from the bulbs for oncoming traffic. Those caps only allow reflector foucused beam out.
I would not go above 4300k, why ? , the too blue light spectrum of higher k is absorbed by things we want to see like brown trees & phone poles. That's why OEM's don't go higher in the spectrum either.
Blue looks cool but is not usable light for what headlights are used for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.