Heater Blend Door Actuator Failed AGAIN - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of
Default Heater Blend Door Actuator Failed AGAIN

So this is really getting me annoyed. The original one in the car broke and the previous owner removed it. I got a JY replacement and that one broke. I then got a Dorman unit from Advance and about 3 weeks ago it started making that lovely popping noise. I took it out today, took at apart and whaddya know........ broken teeth as well. There is no binding in the door and everything else works as it should.

Now my question is this....... is there ANYONE who makes one of these with metal or better internal gears than that plastic ****? The Motorcraft one I had (took that one apart too) had the same garbage plastic teeth. I have a LL warranty on this but I really dont want to keep having to squeeze under my dash to replace these things. This one lasted 10 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
Trader Score: 0 reviews
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Heater treater blend door:

Ford Taurus '96-'07 - '96 - '07 - Taurus - Ford

The blend door may have moved easily, but perhaps it is getting stuck intermittently and putting extra stress on your actuators.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

John, someone on here spent considerable time matching up and sourcing metal gears from some place like Hobby Lobby. Only time I experienced consecutive bda gear failures was on 1 of the in-law's winnies with the slide bar lever temp control. When lever was repeatedly slid max hot or cold, the excessive stress took out the plastic gear(s). The easy solution was a dab of clear silicone at the ends of the slot to prevent max travel (throw). Been fine for 5-6 yrs. now.
sheila is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

I never put it on max heat, but I do put it on full cold (60*) in the summer. I have auto climate control and I thought that I read somewhere here that when you turn the car on it goes through a full range cycle(cold to hot, then to your temp setting). When I turned the car on, even with the climate control off, it would make the popping noise from skipping teeth on the gears. It's not on the main input gear but the reduced gear that rides on that(small one). The next time I take it out I will take a pic of which gear broke. I believe it's the same teeth that failed on the JY one. It's really a stupid design if you ask me........ input gear, and 2 other gears to the motor.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

^+1. Iirc, when I've opened up failed bda(s), the broken teeth are always on one of the smaller (lesser) gears.
sheila is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 52334
Drives: 1992 ford
hellojohn99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having a similar issue, anyone found a better Actuator yet?
hellojohn99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 43818
Drives: 2010 Taurus SHO
mjhpadi has a spectacular aura about

I think it is an on-going issue with Ford, we have had them fail in both our Explorer and in the SHO....it's still a fairly common problem on even the newest generation of the Taurus. Mine on the SHO was replaced under warranty. I also am aware that some people have had the same problem on the Lincoln's too.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal
2004 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Mercury Sable LS-Our "Beatermobile"
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
mjhpadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.