Sunroof in a Wagon - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Member Number: 42443
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE FFV
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 7 reviews
TaurusDailyDriver is a name known to allTaurusDailyDriver is a name known to all
Default Sunroof in a Wagon

I just had a question...

Down the road from my buddy's house, this guy is selling a rusty Gen 4.0 Sable wagon. It caught my eye for the second time. I have seen it before when someone owned it and this is the only wagon I have ever seen in person that has a sunroof. It is factory.. 100% sure of that.

I was just wondering if anyone knows why it was never really an option. I'd understand if it was never an option completely, but it was, and it is very rare to see it. I know Canadian spec'd Taurus wagons sometimes had them. I was just curious as to why in the states you had a better chance at winning the lottery than seeing a Taurus wagon with a moonroof.

I have heard that Gen 1 and 2 Wagons in the LX trim had them. Never saw one.

I have never heard of a Gen 3 Taurus wagon having one. A google search brought me a Sable wagon with one. Nothing I have ever seen in person.

And Gen 4. Just that Sable is what I have seen. I imagine only Taurus SEL wagons had them in Canada... but why wouldn't more wagons have them? Were they difficult to build at the factory? Was there some kind of issue?

I feel as though out of 10 Gen 4 sedans that you see...on average half of them have moonroofs. I just am stumped as why not half of the wagons you see have them too. But none I see do!! Just wondering if there is a reason behind it. I feel that it is a sought after option.. just kind of dumb for Ford to not put them in more wagons.

2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L DOHC V6
2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L FFV OHV (The Beater)

2006 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L OHV V6 (Sold)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0L FFV OHV V6 (Sister's)
TaurusDailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

On average I see probably 2 sunroof'd Taurii out of every 10. Still bitter about my SEL not having one but it has every other option available.

Maybe it has something to do with structural integrity because of the longer roof? Might have to have more beams in there as compared to a sedan, so no room for glass and motor. I don't know, that doesn't make sense then why some would appear? I'm stumped as well.

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder

Member Number: 10385
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 87twagon 96taurus 99sable. 00twagon. 01taurus 04taurus
Trader Score: 0 reviews
major will become famous soon enough

I've seen one '99 wagon with a factory moonroof. It was a Duratec with dual exhaust, the works. Unfortunately, it was in the junk yard. I did get the headliner for mine.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

I wish mine had a sunroof!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

If you ever owned a '66 VistaCruiser, you'd understand. Cooling a wagon (heating it, too) takes longer as it is; add more glass, especially in the roof, and it's even worse. If the wagon had dark tint at the factory, it would have helped...
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgbpop View Post
If you ever owned a '66 VistaCruiser, you'd understand. Cooling a wagon (heating it, too) takes longer as it is; add more glass, especially in the roof, and it's even worse. If the wagon had dark tint at the factory, it would have helped...
Hmm good point, never even thought of that!

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 47183
Drives: 2007 Crown Victoria P71
Trader Score: 3 reviews
2001 SES is a jewel in the rough

Yea I see that sable at least once a day on my way to my house, it's pretty cool with a sunroof but the wheel wells look like a beaver got in there
1995 SHO Red - Sold
The ex-official bad ass bulls of Central New York

Need some Mach audio? PM me, plenty in stock
2001 SES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

It is exceedingly rare in 3rd, and even more so in 4th gen taurus form to find one with a moonroof in the US. Sable LS Prems were more likely to have them. Still not that common.

Yes, Canadians got better spec'd out cars typically. Saw even plain jane SE taurus wagons with moonroofs aplenty when I was up there.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 11197
Borbet225 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My 98' Sable wagon I bought brom my dad, didn't have a sunroof, otherwise pretty loaded, and never missed it for a moment. My current 09' Pontiac GXP has a sunroof, and a pretty nice power one, but after trying it a few times, never used it since. Figure cutting a hole in the roof, can't be a good thing in the long run, but the way my car came from the factory.
Borbet225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 6236
Drives: 2005 Mercury Montego Premier
04 SABLE is on a distinguished road

Before I bought my Montego I had a deal lined up to get a G4 Sable wagon. It had a sunroof.

My original G4 Sable did not have a sunroof and I'm actually glad that my Montego has one. In the Fall and Spring I can open it a little and then open the passenger window an inch or two and get a nice breeze going without messing up my hair.
2004 Mercury Sable LS Premium--TOTALED by drunk driver at 89,000 mi.
04 SABLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.