Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Help me please

4K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  SloppyJalopey 
#1 ·
My 97 G was stolen. To make things short, I think someone took parts off of their SE and put it on my car. I have other reasons to believe it's my car. I use to see their SE and the driving gears where NOT connected to the wheel, now it is, but the bumper says SE. By doing research here I learn the SE was made in 98. Did any 98 versions have the gears connected to the wheel? Also I tried to check the vin, but the plate of the VIN is OFF!

*yes a police report was filed*

#3 ·
Were the cars the same colour? By driving gears, I assume you mean the gear shifter location, being on the floor versus the steering column. It would take a lot of work to convert it into a column shift setup. I'm thinking if it is your car, they changed the emblems or something. Something has to be wrong with the situation, if the vin plate has been removed. There's usually only a few reasons why vins go missing. There's probably another location on the vehicle with the vin stamped on that most people won't know about, but I don't know where it would be. If you really think someone stole it, then I would be talking to the police.

#4 ·
yes the car is the same color. What I think they did is put a SE bumper on my car to through it off. (since the car has the same body as mine). Yes, I mean gear shifter location. Hence why I'm asking people with more Taurus knowlegde did the SE gear shifter is on the console.

#5 ·
It takes a lot of effort to change the gear shifter. Getting the counsel, running the new cable, and removing and adding a delete plate to the steering wheel.

By the bumper, do you mean the bumper cover or the logo/decal that says "Taurus SE" on it?

Dealing with stolen cars is a very tricky issue. You need to check every last detail of the car in question to make sure it is or isn't your own. The smallest details matter the most in these situations.

I hope I don't sound like an ass, I really do want to help you. I'd be pissed as hell in this situation. But you need to let the police know whatever you can find out.

#6 ·
Looking at the big picture, and no matter how attached you are to your Taurus - I sure am to mine - it's highly unlikely someone would be so enamored of a base-model, 15-year-old Taurus that they would steal it, convert it to a column shift and put a new bumper on it.

#7 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm not describing it right. They didn't convert the column shift. They simply put their bumper on what I believe to be my car. This is the second time my car has been stolen. When I got it back the first time...the back door panel from the inside was gone and some other small things. Nothing like a battery or anything else like that. I live in a baaad area. Yes, people will steal a 15 year old car around my way.

*We had the same car on the block, however their column shift was on the console. I know because of course when you see someone with the "same" car, you are going to take a peak inside. Now their car "magically" has the column shift attached to the steering wheel. I guess they thought I never got a good look at their car. Hope it makes sense. I'm speaking with the police, but I just wanted to get more info to give to them.

#9 ·
Maybe I'm not describing it right. They didn't convert the column shift. They simply put their bumper on what I believe to be my car. This is the second time my car has been stolen. When I got it back the first time...the back door panel from the inside was gone and some other small things. Nothing like a battery or anything else like that. I live in a baaad area. Yes, people will steal a 15 year old car around my way.
Well, if you ever get your Taurus back, you should consider using the alarm if it has one, or put one in. Sounds like you could really benefit from it.

If the vin is missing on that guys car, I would bring the issue up with the police (like you said you did). They will know right away if something is fishy with the car, there's probably a way for them to figure out the true vin number, lots of times it's also stamped into the sheet metal. I don't think police like it when you tamper with the vin plate on a car, so they'll probably want to see whats going on with that anyways.

#11 ·
My SE has the column shifter... come to think of it the other 2 SE's that I looked at when I bought this one had it too...

#10 ·
1998 was the first year for the SE trim I believe. In '98, they also changed the front bumper:

The Taurus front end had a redesign; the front end had more of a SHO look too it. The previously rear amber turn signals were now red to match the brake light, even though the wiring and lighting stayed the same. The Sable had a slightly different grille, with the Mercury logo embedded into the grille. The trim badge style for the Sable also changed for this year.

#13 · (Edited)
Say for example someone took my car and put a gen 4 bumper on the front.

The first thing I would be doing if I suspected this was my car is looking for little quirks that mean it was mine. Rust spots, dings, scratches...etc. Also, mileage is good to compare depending on how long it has been gone.

Good luck. Tricky situation for sure.

Our 1999 SE had the column shifter (on steering wheel). The SE was a wide trim for those years... some would be base like our old one... or some are completely loaded and have a floor shifter.

Did your G have cruise control? Most SEs did if not all.

What color are the back turn signals?

#14 ·
Don't get yourself in legal trouble over the car. Usually car thieves take the untraceable parts and add those to the legal car not keep the car or parts with VINs so its probably not "your car", just your parts.

You need to find a VIN, title or other fraudulent condition to bring back to the police. Get all the paper info you can and see if anything is wrong.
Call a PI, its a small case they may tell you what to do or say to the police.
Private Investigators or detectives know how to get a lot of records that are not public and have rights to those records through their license. A good PI could probably trace auto license registration or insurance and see what the VIN is on the computer in 30 minutes. If you know owners name and date of birth that helps a lot. Tags are often due the month of the owners birthday. It would be cheap.

Also I think there is a VIN number in the drivers door jam, ask the police too get a Pic of it. You could go on the computer and try to do a public records request on their name or tag to get the title and see if the VIN matches. Or who the last owner was.

Good luck.

#15 ·
Is your vin written inside driverside door jam where the tize size/aire presseure is located? Did you try your remote? Door & trunk Key? Are the tire brands all the same? Do you have Any reciepts for the tires. Anything visible on the car that you have a reciept for. The brand of spark plug wires? The reciept for replacemenent alternator/starter/battery? Any repaired quarter panels or areas or items on or in the car a mechanic can vouch of. Any dings from shopping carts that you remember ? Floor mats? Holes in carpet? Did you run an aftermarket strereo wires. Anything with serial numbers, hubcaps, aftermarket radio? Ford should be able to tell you where else the the vin number is located on the car....maybe Perhaps like the engine engine bay trunk. But did you try your keys in the trunk & doors with police present (title in hand)? Good luck.

#20 · (Edited)
Yes, I spoke with an investigator who was assigned to me. I get the impression they are not really on it, because of the area I live in. So I'm trying to get a lot of info to tell him on my own. Thanks guys. I took pictures of the car. Also in the front, you can see loose wires hanging from front bumper and it looks as if they tried to changed it too.

#25 ·
good news, my car is in the impound. When I called the police, the officer said that the towing company didn't have it. Something told me to called again today and they have it now. Bad news, I'm scared to see what damages are on it. The people at the towing place wouldn't walk on the lot to tell me. I know it's someone in my neighborhood..that know of me. Both times my car was stolen they said it was suspicious activity.

#26 ·
I would go ahead and invest in a system like I mentioned in the last paragraph above... They say most things are stolen by people you know.

#27 ·
I suggest getting a Battery Terminal Disconnect Switch.
Summit Racing® Battery Terminal Disconnect Switches SUM-G1439 - SummitRacing.com

It costs around $10-15 which is much cheaper than a good alarm system. All you do is remove the little green knob form it and the battery is disconnected so the vehicle cannot be started. Then when you go to drive it, put the green knob back in and it will operate like normal. The only way to steal the car would be to tow it then.

Another good thing to have is theft insurance. That way if the car gets stolen, it gets fixed back up or you get book value for it if it is not found. The insurance company cannot prove it wasn't in mint condition before it was stolen.

#28 ·
Looks like that mounts to the battery terminal. Effective, but probably a pain to pop your hood every time you park and even worse in the rain and winter.

A well-hidden kill switch inside would be the route I'd take. Pick somewhere really weird, not a usual hiding spot like under the dash, steering wheel or seat.

#31 ·
A well-hidden kill switch inside would be the route I'd take. Pick somewhere really weird, not a usual hiding spot like under the dash, steering wheel or seat.
Like in inside the door pocket. No one would ever think to look in there.

#30 ·
Most newer cars (Not sure how far back) have stickers with the VIN on most major body panels.

Also, to make note, to change from a console/floor shift to a no console/column shift in a gen 3 would require that the entire dashboard be changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.