Help me please - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member Number: 41987
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1999 SE 3.0L 24v DOHC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
S3CKSHUN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by help View Post
^on the console or steering wheel
steering column*

Intake silencer removed
Cold Air intake
K&N Panel Filter
Michelin Defenders
Monroe Quickstruts

COMING SOON:
SHO Spoiler
S3CKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member Number: 44845
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 1990 Taurus SHO Black on Black 5 speed 3.0 sweeeeettttt!!!!
RRUSHMAN419 is an unknown quantity at this point

The VIN is in the door jam unless it has been removed too (hard to do) or the car has been repainted. The keyless entry is a good idea, do you have your keys still? If so, try your keys, easiest way to find out lol.
RRUSHMAN419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member Number: 45385
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 SE Wagon
Critical_level2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW657 View Post
Well, if you ever get your Taurus back, you should consider using the alarm if it has one, or put one in. Sounds like you could really benefit from it.
All an alarm will do is keep "honest thieves" away. If a car alarm scares a thief away, then they are too honest to be a thief.

The last time you walked out of a store or shopping mall and heard a car alarm going off, did you race over to see what was going on or did you just ignore it. 99% of people nowadays just ignore them.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical_level2 View Post
All an alarm will do is keep "honest thieves" away. If a car alarm scares a thief away, then they are too honest to be a thief.

The last time you walked out of a store or shopping mall and heard a car alarm going off, did you race over to see what was going on or did you just ignore it. 99% of people nowadays just ignore them.
The second I read "an alarm", I heard a car alarm go off near me!! haha!

Anyways to add to that, depending on how hellbent a thief is on stealing something really depends if they steal it or not. Locks, alarms, etc, are all DETERRENTS. I mean think about it, if you lock your front door and your windows, it's still pretty dang easy to break a window. Most amateur thieves won't break a window to steal something (unless something very valuable is right in plain sight). Same thing with car, most people will only steal them if it's easy. Most thefts are spontaneous and are because someone sees the opportunity to steal something and does.

When I was in high school, a teacher of mine had two projectors stolen in 2 years. He then put a black cloth over the projector when it was not in use. 4 years later it hasn't been stolen again.

Now professional criminals are a different story... They are a lot harder to stop, usually if a pro wants your stuff, they get it. You really have to use more than a deterrent to keep your things safe from them. For instance a safe you have may have your valuables locked away, but a pro can just pick it up and walk out with it and worry about cracking it open later.... If you bolt it to the floor or wall, then there is a much lower risk of it getting stolen. People hide money in stupid places and the pros will always find it. Mattress, pantry, etc... they'll find it!

Another thing... most thefts (not cars necessarily) happen by people you know. If your house is torn to shreds and the valuables gone then you probably didn't know the person. If just one or two things that were in specific spots are missing and nothing else, you probably knew the person...

It's really hard to steal a modern day car because of the chips in the keys and the vin number is stamped everywhere now days, on every body panel, etc IIRC. Old cars however are a different story. They make custom security systems that will cut off power to the starter if you don't have a special card plugged in along with the key. Friends 93' ranger had it when he bought it from an old guy. It's this little thing that looks kinda like a computer chip. You pop it in below the dash, the truck will start right up, without it, it won't even crank. It's not simply putting two wires together, it actually is a coded computer chip that decrypts something, idk how it works but it's cool for old cars that are at risk of getting stolen.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec

Last edited by Sam; 11-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member Number: 51140
Drives: 97 g
help is an unknown quantity at this point

good news, my car is in the impound. When I called the police, the officer said that the towing company didn't have it. Something told me to called again today and they have it now. Bad news, I'm scared to see what damages are on it. The people at the towing place wouldn't walk on the lot to tell me. I know it's someone in my neighborhood..that know of me. Both times my car was stolen they said it was suspicious activity.
help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I would go ahead and invest in a system like I mentioned in the last paragraph above... They say most things are stolen by people you know.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member Number: 45385
Drives: 2004 SE Wagon
Critical_level2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest getting a Battery Terminal Disconnect Switch.
Summit Racing® Battery Terminal Disconnect Switches SUM-G1439 - SummitRacing.com

It costs around $10-15 which is much cheaper than a good alarm system. All you do is remove the little green knob form it and the battery is disconnected so the vehicle cannot be started. Then when you go to drive it, put the green knob back in and it will operate like normal. The only way to steal the car would be to tow it then.

Another good thing to have is theft insurance. That way if the car gets stolen, it gets fixed back up or you get book value for it if it is not found. The insurance company cannot prove it wasn't in mint condition before it was stolen.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member Number: 35150
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus SE - BLUE
monkeydad has a spectacular aura about

Looks like that mounts to the battery terminal. Effective, but probably a pain to pop your hood every time you park and even worse in the rain and winter.

A well-hidden kill switch inside would be the route I'd take. Pick somewhere really weird, not a usual hiding spot like under the dash, steering wheel or seat.
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical_level2 View Post

Of course it will scare them away. Who the hell is going to stand there breaking into a car that's going HONK HONK HONK HONK? Thieves aren't stupid. It's easier to go and find something else to steal, criminals are lazy and unmotivated. If that weren't true, they would be productive members of society.

Any deterrent helps.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3575
sfhess will become famous soon enough

Most newer cars (Not sure how far back) have stickers with the VIN on most major body panels.

Also, to make note, to change from a console/floor shift to a no console/column shift in a gen 3 would require that the entire dashboard be changed.

Intact is one word. A lot is two words.

1991 Taurus LX Sedan 3.8 Titanium Frost - Taken to the pound/RIP 12/27/2012.
2011 Fusion 2.5 Auto Silver Appearance Package
1969 Cougar XR 7 351W
2014 Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI White Sport Package
"I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability" - Ron White
sfhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement