Gen 4 V8SHO swap w/5 speed - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 46123
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianer
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 SE 3.0 Vulcan Cherrybomb glasspack, DC Sports tip Jenk K&N intake
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 9
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
cherrybombbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gen 4 V8SHO swap w/5 speed

Hey I have a 4th Gen Taurus with the Vulcan motor. I'm looking to at some point swap in a 3.4 V8 out of the '99 SHOs and swapping a 5 speed on it. It's a tall order but I figure at some point i'll get around to it. in a few years. ha. But does anyone know what would need to be done to actually fit the 3.4? How different were the 3rd gens from the 4th gens? and would an MTX-75 fit the V8? if not that tranny what one would? Thanks!
cherrybombbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
danhasenauer's Avatar
 
Member Number: 12182
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: a Taurus
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,421
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 22
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about
Default

Baby steps. First find an actual V8 SHO engine in good running condition that isn't already in a great condition G3 SHO and planning on staying there....
__________________

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
QuinnSHO's Avatar
 
Member Number: 37321
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ogden, Utah
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: I own a 1996 Black Taurus SHO
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 1,004
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 10
QuinnSHO is on a distinguished road
Default

well, SHOsource could get you a nice pretty engine, for a pretty penny. IM not sure what the Mazda 5 speed Mtx was called, but that one fits with some minor custom work, and someone put a g2 SHO tranny with one too. soo, theres those. But question is, *camshafts are no issue if you buy from SHOsource* are you planning on keeping it unmodded performance wise or you wanting to Super/turbocharge it? v6 SHOs have 30 less ponies and a wide aftermarket, v8s have great sound, have that awesome secondary *love that kickin in * and 30 more ponies. problem with v8s are the room to work with, and theyre slim aftermarket. if you plan on going hella custom, you CAN charge them too, for another pretty penny.
__________________
Do you like Mountain Dew? Then you like 75% of me

QuinnSHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 46123
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianer
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 SE 3.0 Vulcan Cherrybomb glasspack, DC Sports tip Jenk K&N intake
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 9
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
cherrybombbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I'm looking more to have a helluva unique Taurus...though this probably has been tried by someone. I did find there was slim aftermarket support for the V8s but I'm not sure about charging yet...too to far in the future. lol. I'm a college student and i don't have $10,000 to throw at this. plus the car has to die first. haha. Are there any real performance mods for the V8s? Chips maybe? i'm planning on test pipes with cherrybombs for any motor i drop into the car though so that may yield a little power.
cherrybombbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
danhasenauer's Avatar
 
Member Number: 12182
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: a Taurus
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,421
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 22
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about
Default

Try a Tec V6 for starters. They're 55 more ponies than the Vulcan, found everywhere in good running condition, sing a beautiful song at high revs when the secondary opens, are very similar in construction to the V8, and also give you that claustrophobic feeling for space when working on them. Good luck!
__________________

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012

Last edited by danhasenauer; 02-26-2012 at 06:21 PM.
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 46123
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianer
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 SE 3.0 Vulcan Cherrybomb glasspack, DC Sports tip Jenk K&N intake
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 9
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
cherrybombbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I haven't heard too good of things about the Duratecs...I've heard they scoot but are not the most solid of engines. Maybe I heard wrong? Something about head gaskets maybe. I'm assuming it'd bolt right in without moving the motor mounts which is a plus but I'm kinda set on the V8 swap. Not that it'll happen for a while but still.
cherrybombbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
danhasenauer's Avatar
 
Member Number: 12182
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: a Taurus
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,421
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 22
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about
Default

The Duratec is an awesome engine, I've never had a problem with one yet. The Vulcan is a notorious head gasket eater, but that is usually from a prolonged lack of proper cooling system maintenance. The 55HP increase over the Vulcan is like night and day when you first drive one, the V8 is only 30 HP more than a Tec. They are both high revving DOHC engines that will haul ass, but a good V8 available for a reasonable price is like the tooth fairy, we've heard it exists but never seen it ourselves. You'll have better luck finding an entire G3 SHO already set to go!
__________________

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 4817
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Irvine, California
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1992 Taurus SHO
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 5,535
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 32
loudsho92 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to loudsho92 Send a message via Yahoo to loudsho92
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybombbull View Post
Hey I have a 4th Gen Taurus with the Vulcan motor. I'm looking to at some point swap in a 3.4 V8 out of the '99 SHOs and swapping a 5 speed on it. It's a tall order but I figure at some point i'll get around to it. in a few years. ha. But does anyone know what would need to be done to actually fit the 3.4? How different were the 3rd gens from the 4th gens? and would an MTX-75 fit the V8? if not that tranny what one would? Thanks!
The fuel systems are different. I know it has been done with the Mazda 6 MTX and the SHO V6 MTX with adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnSHO View Post
well, SHOsource could get you a nice pretty engine, for a pretty penny. IM not sure what the Mazda 5 speed Mtx was called, but that one fits with some minor custom work, and someone put a g2 SHO tranny with one too. soo, theres those. But question is, *camshafts are no issue if you buy from SHOsource* are you planning on keeping it unmodded performance wise or you wanting to Super/turbocharge it? v6 SHOs have 30 less ponies and a wide aftermarket, v8s have great sound, have that awesome secondary *love that kickin in * and 30 more ponies. problem with v8s are the room to work with, and theyre slim aftermarket. if you plan on going hella custom, you CAN charge them too, for another pretty penny.
We do have access to new engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybombbull View Post
I'm looking more to have a helluva unique Taurus...though this probably has been tried by someone. I did find there was slim aftermarket support for the V8s but I'm not sure about charging yet...too to far in the future. lol. I'm a college student and i don't have $10,000 to throw at this. plus the car has to die first. haha. Are there any real performance mods for the V8s? Chips maybe? i'm planning on test pipes with cherrybombs for any motor i drop into the car though so that may yield a little power.
It has been done:





There is not much for the V8 and gaskets are getting harder to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybombbull View Post
I haven't heard too good of things about the Duratecs...I've heard they scoot but are not the most solid of engines. Maybe I heard wrong? Something about head gaskets maybe. I'm assuming it'd bolt right in without moving the motor mounts which is a plus but I'm kinda set on the V8 swap. Not that it'll happen for a while but still.
The Duratec is a good motor. The Contours have been boosting and Noble has been using them in their super cars. Also you can just buy the car as opposed to doing a swap.
__________________
92 White SHO

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk
http://www.shosource.com
loudsho92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 46123
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianer
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 SE 3.0 Vulcan Cherrybomb glasspack, DC Sports tip Jenk K&N intake
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 9
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
cherrybombbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Ok then I've apparently been told the wrong stuff about the Duratecs...not sure why but whatever. Is there a build thread on that one? That's exactly what i'd be looking to do.
cherrybombbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
QuinnSHO's Avatar
 
Member Number: 37321
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ogden, Utah
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: I own a 1996 Black Taurus SHO
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 1,004
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 10
QuinnSHO is on a distinguished road
Default

Lol, i meant northeast sho for engines...but looks like shosource can too im surprised haha.
I looked at duratecs too and theres some out there that the only difference is the engine. 1 i drove had the moonroof, the speedometer, interior, everything. or hey, go for a wagon ;D
__________________
Do you like Mountain Dew? Then you like 75% of me

QuinnSHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2