2003 Taurus with wet floor (front passenger). Help!! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 35913
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 SE 3.0L
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
NorthernTaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2003 Taurus with wet floor (front passenger). Help!!

Hey guys,

I just become a member of your site and hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've got an annoying problem with a water leak and I'm hoping someone can help.

I've got a 2003 Taurus with 105,000 kms (65,000 miles). Just before Christmas I noticed that the front passenger side floor was damp. I thought perhaps it was caused by water on the floor mats which had spilled over. Turns out I was wrong. A few weeks ago I was doing a spring cleaning and noticed the carpet was a lot more wet then before. I pulled it back and found black mould on the material underneith (towards the back where the firewall was). The material was all damp. I should point out that there wasn't any major ponding or puddles. It just looks like the water has been slowly leaking in. I'm a bit concerned because there's a rubber drain plug which isn't protected by that yellow foam which coats the rest of the floor pan. There's a small bit of surface rust which has now formed and the last thing I need is rotting floors.

It's my understanding that this is a common problem on these cars (leak). A friend at Ford printed me a copy of the TSB which claims water can leak in from around the cabin filter tray. So I bought a new cowl, rain hat extension, and some clear silicone to reseal the tray. I haven't been able to do anything because of the cold weather and rain. It looks like the original owner of the car had already installed the rain hat extension (the rubber strip that fits onto the rainhat/flap). I'm a bit puzzled as to why they didn't reseal the cabin filter tray. I'm assuming it's the original factory sealer because it's black foam and the TSB recommends a silicone.

The TSB also talks about removing a piece of tape and filling the hole with silicone. I have looked at the diagram and can not find any tape or hole.

Today I pulled the cowl off and put a few drops of green food colouring into a bottle of water. I then poured this stuff all around the base of the cabin filter tray. Not one drop of green water dripped into the car. It drained out of the fender and also out of the rocker panel covers.

So I'm wondering..... could this water leak be coming in from somewhere else??. The floor mats are always dry and it's obvious that the water is leaking in from underneith the carpet somewhere. Could it be the heater core?.

I'm the 2nd owner of this car. The vehicle service history indicates that the heater motor had been replaced under warranty around 2006. The new one still works. So I'm guessing that maybe they had a problem with water leaking too.

I'd really appreciate any help. I've been on numerous car websites and nobody has been able to help.
NorthernTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here's some pictures. The first picture shows the cowl removed and the cabin filter tray exposed. Can anyone confirm that it's got the original black factory sealer along the base?. (it's foam).

Second picture shows the carpet pulled back and where the mould has formed. the water is obviously coming in from around the firewall based on where the mould has formed.

The black spot you see on the floor is where I've sprayed rust paint. There's a plug there.
Attached Thumbnails
2003 Taurus with wet floor (front passenger). Help!!-taurus1.jpg   2003 Taurus with wet floor (front passenger). Help!!-taurus2.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3580
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 03 SEL Premium DOHC
Trader Score: 35 reviews
durasel has a spectacular aura about

Search is your friend.
There is another area that can leak.
It is the air conditioner drain that comes out of the firewall behind the engine.
There is a sponge seal around the drain that allows water to come into the cabin.
Silicon around that drain and see if that solves the problem.
I did that to 6 Tauri: our 4, my moms and my sister in laws!!

When the leak stopped, I pulled up part of the carpet, tore out the old pad and ran a fan in that area overnight to dry things out. Then I put in new carpet pad that I had left over from our basement carpeting.
03 SEL Premium DOHC
04 SES Sport DOHC

2003 SEL Premium
Every available factory option
September 2009 Car of the Month

Dealing in Mach Audio Systems for the last 10 years. I'm happy to answer any/all questions.
I have many satisfied club members!
durasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 19552
Drives: Rust too it away
woonyboi02895 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

any pics of where sponge is cause my 98 taurus leaks water on pass side also and i cant find leak
woonyboi02895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by durasel View Post
Search is your friend.
There is another area that can leak.
It is the air conditioner drain that comes out of the firewall behind the engine.
There is a sponge seal around the drain that allows water to come into the cabin.
Silicon around that drain and see if that solves the problem.
I did that to 6 Tauri: our 4, my moms and my sister in laws!!

When the leak stopped, I pulled up part of the carpet, tore out the old pad and ran a fan in that area overnight to dry things out. Then I put in new carpet pad that I had left over from our basement carpeting.
Thanks for the response.

I notice that there's a few of these round sponge seals on the firewall. I'm assuming the one that you're referring to for the A/C is on the passenger side?. I'm not sure if I'm looking at the same thing but I did notice upon removing the carpet that there's a round seal surrounded by a sponge like material that is on the firewall with a hose running out of it (just below the glove box). Is this the same thing you're talking about?.

I've only had the A/C on once this year to cool down the interior one mild day. But that's the only time it's been on because we're still in April. Could this thing still leak regardless of being on?.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 8464
goodbrosuit has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to goodbrosuit

Rain water can also get up in there. There's a plastic tube about an inch wide on the passenger on the side in the engine compartment on the firewall. Take a tube of clear silicone sealant and go all around it (not inside it...). Feel free to go overboard and dont worry about being pretty, noone can see it. There's also another are where these leak, the base of the cabin air filter. scrape up all chunks of extra sealant there and reseal with the same clear silicone. when this happened to my car I took the carpet out, dried it in the sun, then scraped off the mold and mildew. You don't wanna be breathing that ish in.
goodbrosuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbrosuit View Post
Rain water can also get up in there. There's a plastic tube about an inch wide on the passenger on the side in the engine compartment on the firewall. Take a tube of clear silicone sealant and go all around it (not inside it...). Feel free to go overboard and dont worry about being pretty, noone can see it. There's also another are where these leak, the base of the cabin air filter. scrape up all chunks of extra sealant there and reseal with the same clear silicone. when this happened to my car I took the carpet out, dried it in the sun, then scraped off the mold and mildew. You don't wanna be breathing that ish in.
I think I know the thing you're talking about. Would this plastic tube/hose that goes through the firewall have a rubber gasket or plug going around it?. The one I'm thinking of is right on the firewall. You basically have to pull the carpet back to see it.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was hoping someone could confirm whether the car has the original sealer going around the cabin filter tray (see picture). Did ford use the black foam in the factory?. That's what is on the car right now.

I'm still planning to re-seal this tray with clear silicone. I have to wonder whether the water is really leaking in from there because I poured 2 large measuring cups of water around that tray and not a single drip of water appeared inside the car.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

This is a known issue on G4's. Water is getting in at the base of the cowl near the cabin air filter. You need to do the "Rain Hat" fix.
Check out these links:
Any Photos Available Of "rain Hat Extension" (covers Cabin Filter)
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/atta...se_sb04153.pdf
It looks like you have the original foam tape seal on there still, a known failure spot. The above PDF file is the factory TSB on the subject.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012

Last edited by danhasenauer; 04-19-2011 at 10:13 PM.
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Ive been able to stop all of my pass. floorboard water problems by sealing around the ac drain on the pass. firewall.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement