2000 A/C compressor cycling on/off w/sucking sound - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 15870
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2000 Duratec 3.0L (VIN S) - SEL with auto-trans on the floor.
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
kmigalsk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Arrow 2000 A/C compressor cycling on/off w/sucking sound

Hello,
I have read several posts about air conditioning problems. When I turn on the max air switch (manual HVAC controls) on my 2000 Duratec 3.0L (VIN S) Bull (GEN 4) the compressor cycles on and off every couple of seconds. And the part I don't understand is the sucking sound I hear coming from somewhere around the fuel injectors (center of engine). From previous posts, I have learned that compressor cycling is from low coolant levels. Is it fair to say that a re-charge is all I need? Someone told me at the dealership that it may be the a/c manifold lines leaking. However, I don't know where these lines are located and I have not read any postings that talk about changing or inspecting these manifold lines in the TCCA.
Please save me much money! Thanks.
kmigalsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 15038
mmmfloorpie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to mmmfloorpie Send a message via MSN to mmmfloorpie Send a message via Yahoo to mmmfloorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmigalsk View Post
Hello,
I have read several posts about air conditioning problems. When I turn on the max air switch (manual HVAC controls) on my 2000 Duratec 3.0L (VIN S) Bull (GEN 4) the compressor cycles on and off every couple of seconds. And the part I don't understand is the sucking sound I hear coming from somewhere around the fuel injectors (center of engine). From previous posts, I have learned that compressor cycling is from low coolant levels. Is it fair to say that a re-charge is all I need? Someone told me at the dealership that it may be the a/c manifold lines leaking. However, I don't know where these lines are located and I have not read any postings that talk about changing or inspecting these manifold lines in the TCCA.
Please save me much money! Thanks.
Is the A/C cold? I'm betting it's not, and yes this usually means it's out of refridgerant.

If it is empty, it's because there is a leak somewhere. In most jurisdictions, if a shop identifies a leak, they have to remove any refridgerant that they added to test for leaks. They also have a due diligence to search for leaks!

I'm sure you can get shady places to do it for you on the cheap, but meh.

mmmfloorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unhappy Warm

When I turn the manual controls inside the car to max a/c it blows warm. It is not hot. It seems to be a little cool, but that can just be my imagination. What about the sucking/hissing sound every time the compressor engages? Do you think that is a leak somewhere? Do you think I can fix anything here or is this a Stealership deal? Thanks, Ken
Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 15038
mmmfloorpie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to mmmfloorpie Send a message via MSN to mmmfloorpie Send a message via Yahoo to mmmfloorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmigalsk View Post
When I turn the manual controls inside the car to max a/c it blows warm. It is not hot. It seems to be a little cool, but that can just be my imagination. What about the sucking/hissing sound every time the compressor engages? Do you think that is a leak somewhere? Do you think I can fix anything here or is this a Stealership deal? Thanks, Ken
Unless you can find the leak yourself somehow...

Shops have the proper equipment that's required to do leak tests and the shade tree mechanic usually doesn't...

I don't know what to tell you about the sucking noise though. I would never use the A/C is it's sucking in outside air though!

mmmfloorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Try running the EATC diagnostic test See what it says.
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok. Here is my update. I went to a local shop and they tried to re-charge the a/c system. And poof, everything is working. No leaks. No issues with the a/c manifold lines leaking, like the dealership originally stated. They wanted to sock me for $700 to repair????!!!! My local shop specializes in a/c work. They placed a dye inside the system to locate any leaks. None were found.
The compressor was cycling on and off when the a/c switch inside the car was placed on max. a/c. Members in this forum said this meant the refrigerant was low. It was low and now it blows out a 42 degrees. On these hot summer days in the Midwest it is very NICE to have the a/c working after 3 years. All this cost me $129 out the door. BTW the IAC valve stopped surging since the a/c has been fixed. The compressor must have been placing a very heavy load on the system, by cycling on and off all the time. Now the winter days should be fog free on the front windshield, since the compress works in all modes but 'vent'.

I have a manual HVAC system, so I cannot run any codes for troubleshooting.

Last edited by kmigalsk; 07-27-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: changes to sentence struture.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 10045
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 Taurus SEL Wagon 3.0 Vulcan
billygee has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had the exact same problem with my 2000 Taurus wagon. The IAC would surge, the compressor clicked every couple seconds and while the A/C was not ice cold, it was fairly cool. The engine would also stumble every so often on the highway when the A/C was turned on.

Once I had the A/C recharged, all those problems went away and my A/C was ice cold.
billygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement