Catalytic Converters Clogged? - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4817
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1992 Taurus SHO
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
loudsho92 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to loudsho92 Send a message via Yahoo to loudsho92
Talking

A simple test for clogged cats is to get under the car and see if the cats are glowing after running the car.

QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 7 2010, 02:50 AM)
Quote:
SHOSource doesn't have any y pipes for the 3.8 Essex. The Walker and Catco y pipes are what is it..stock replacement with near stock specs.

I do enjoy the Magnaflow high flow y pipe though.[/b]
We can get them. We just dont list everything.

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk
http://www.shosource.com
loudsho92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 18231
2000sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Which you shouldn't have had to do except the Windstar must have been running like crap to do that. The cats don't clog unless another tuning or severe oil leak, or blown head gasket happens first, unless you get unlucky and they hit with junk on the highway.[/b]
The poor Windstar had seen better days when I beat the cores out of the cats, the 3.8 had some issues as a production engine but the one in my 96 Windstar went 200k without having a single major repair. She was traded in at 200k miles and she ran like a top as far as the car salesman knew. I got $700 for her. She just didn't have much for cats left at that point. So yes, a cat will clog over time. Nothing major has to occur, just time and miles. Lots and lots of miles.

PS. The transmission was a AXOD and she was untouched and original... She was a tank. God I loved that van. /sniff

2000sable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 28289
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1996 Ford Taurus LX Wagon
KhanTyranitar has a spectacular aura about

QUOTE (2000Sable @ Jun 7 2010, 05:02 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
Which you shouldn't have had to do except the Windstar must have been running like crap to do that. The cats don't clog unless another tuning or severe oil leak, or blown head gasket happens first, unless you get unlucky and they hit with junk on the highway.[/b]
The poor Windstar had seen better days when I beat the cores out of the cats, the 3.8 had some issues as a production engine but the one in my 96 Windstar went 200k without having a single major repair. She was traded in at 200k miles and she ran like a top as far as the car salesman knew. I got $700 for her. She just didn't have much for cats left at that point. So yes, a cat will clog over time. Nothing major has to occur, just time and miles. Lots and lots of miles.

PS. The transmission was a AXOD and she was untouched and original... She was a tank. God I loved that van. /sniff
[/b][/quote]

Again cats do not clog over time. They clog when something goes wrong and it is left unfixed. None of my cats have ever clogged without something going wrong first. My Mazda was the only vehicle that ever had the cats clog up, it had a distributor go bad when my dad owned the truck. He was out of town and had to drive 500 miles with only two cylinders. The cats didn't like that very much, melted right down.

My dad's Ranger has 320,000 miles, original cats, his Dakota with 340,000 drove for 200,000 miles with low compression, but still has the original cat. My dad used to have a Chevy Prism, it went over 400,000 miles on the original cat. My Aerostar has 240,000 miles with the original cats. The cats that plug are on the vehicles that are not kept properly maintained. By properly maintained, that means keeping it to the factory specs as outlined in the owners manual, including replacing the O2 sensors at 80,000 miles. Most people forget that O2 sensors are maintenance items.

Again, back to the original topic, your symptoms are not consistent with a plugged converter. Furthermore, you will most likely get a P0420 or P0430 code before the cats plug anyway. If you do not have a converter code, then converters belong really low on your list. I have seen a weak fuel pump that closely matched your symptoms. The pump works fine when cold, but as the pump heats up, it loses power.

KhanTyranitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 18231
2000sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past

KhanTyranitar we will just have to disagree. I like your take on things though. No gray in your world.

2000sable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member Number: 19819
TourDeForce has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (KhanTyranitar @ Jun 7 2010, 07:06 PM)
Quote:
Again cats do not clog over time. They clog when something goes wrong and it is left unfixed. None of my cats have ever clogged without something going wrong first.[/b]
V-6 Contours had problems with the upstream cats failing and getting clogged. The Contour.org boards are full of threads on how to diagnose and solve catalytic converter problems, but they never talk about doing anything illegal like gutting the cats, they simply refer to the 'mystery mod'. The cat also failed in the I-4 Contour that I still own. It simply dissintegrated, never had a problem with the car before that and it ran like a sewing machine after the mystery mod, so I simply bolted up a set of headers later on and enjoyed the extra power.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member Number: 8464
goodbrosuit has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to goodbrosuit

Question for LoudSHO. My Cats are starting to rattle a little bit so I may be getting the magnaflow y-pipe from you. I looked into magnaflow's products and they do not offer a 50 state legal y-pipe for the vulcan, only 49, yet shosource calls it 50. Wassup wit dat!? Just sayin'.
goodbrosuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement